Angelos Family Fued

Going Underground

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:
7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I believe the absolute best case scenario for an O's fan, and I'm not sure how feasible it is, would be a Bisciotti purchase of the team.

Yea thats not happening.

Maybe not, and I believe Bisciotti has said that he was not interested in owning two teams.  However, Jim Davis (Bisciotti’s cousin and Allegis co-founder) has often been considered a potential buyer.  I think he may be right at the top of best-case local ownership groups for O’s fans.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yuck. No thanks. He's a weak leader who collects big paychecks and enjoys an old boys network to run his team. 

The best case scenario is for Kevin Plank to lead a local group. I don't think he's very interested in baseball though.

I don't get the Bisciotti hate, although I don't follow the Ravens closely.

To your earlier point, I've been to the Ravens Stadium a few times and thought it was a really good experience.  Way, WAY better than Fed Ex Field, so admittedly I have a low bar to hurdle.  But the Ravens are always good and it seems that he's able to put people in the right position to succeed and steers clear of meddling with football decisions.

Yeah, he looks like a used car salesman but that's okay.  From an outsider's perspective he's done well for the Ravens.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure how much money Plank has to invest right now with how under Armor has been doing.

Perhaps, but a quick google search has him worth $1.3 Billion. 

Either way, I don't think he's ever shown interest in the Orioles or baseball.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yuck. No thanks. He's a weak leader who collects big paychecks and enjoys an old boys network to run his team. 

The best case scenario is for Kevin Plank to lead a local group. I don't think he's very interested in baseball though.

Plank has no desire to own any sports franchise. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't get the Bisciotti hate, although I don't follow the Ravens closely.

To your earlier point, I've been to the Ravens Stadium a few times and thought it was a really good experience.  Way, WAY better than Fed Ex Field, so admittedly I have a low bar to hurdle.  But the Ravens are always good and it seems that he's able to put people in the right position to succeed and steers clear of meddling with football decisions.

Yeah, he looks like a used car salesman but that's okay.  From an outsider's perspective he's done well for the Ravens.

I'd rather not get into my dislike for Bisciotti on this thread since it will derail it. 

At the end of the day, I want an owner who is all in on making the Orioles a first class organization here in Baltimore.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Plus, no credit for this.   I generally believe a disruptor like Steve Cohen's ballpark estimate they are worth 5X actual dollars is approximately correct.    I don't think selling Adley to finance a show will happen, but those are artificially curated super-dollars in the aggregate.

It's a sad state when a team gets credit for doing what literately ever other team has done for years.  For anyone else it's a given that you spend that money, that you build a facility there.

Around here, it's worth a cookie.

Honestly I wouldn't have a problem with the Orioles moving to Nashville as long as they left the nickname/uniforms and the A's or Rays came in. No way MLB lets OPACY sit empty though so I don't see Baltimore without a team. 

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The team's ownership probably gets transferred to the Trust upon Peter's death or is already in the Trust. What happens depends on what the terms are in the Trust.   However, the Trust  sounds like it has Georgia, John and Lou as the beneficaries of the Trust.  

The Tigers are owned by a Trust.  

That makes sense.  So the trust would own the O's.  If one of the sons wanted to buy the rest of the O's.  They would not only have to buy out the other owners shares but pay inheritance taxes.  Seems unlikely from what we know of the sons' finances.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's a sad state when a team gets credit for doing what literately ever other team has done for years.  For anyone else it's a given that you spend that money, that you build a facility there.

Around here, it's worth a cookie.

Druw Jones will be the personification of human greed if he wants $9mm dollars.   Only $8.8422 is fair.

55 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well we haven't heard John Angelos' side of this yet. We know he has interests elsewhere and the Orioles have not spent much outside of Jordan Lyles, the DR facility, and all of their Amateur draft funds.

According to the lawsuit, John nixed the sale of the team, so if he really just wanted an out and cash in that would have been a good opportunity. 

As for how the team has been rebuilt, I'm not saying Elias has been right how he's done the rebuild, but I don't necessarily know if he would have done things differently if he more cash on hand. He seemed to be all in on the Houston model of breaking it all down, collecting good draft picks, then rebuilding. 

It's taken him a lot longer already to get the team back to decent shape and his 1st round picks have not exactly shown to be amazing at the major league league level yet despite drafting college heavy.

I'm not saying your wrong here, just saying that I don't have enough information to draw firm conclusions.

Perfect post.  This is exactly how I feel.  

38 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Agreed. It's also the optics of Nashville having some very safe tourist areas vs Baltimore having what, the inner harbor where gangs of teenagers run around and attack people for no reason? Little Italy, where people are now being stabbed and shot?

I won't get into the corruption at the political layer because of our no politics rule, and yes, Nashville has some similar problems due to policies being enacted by their leadership in non tourist areas, but let's face it, if all things were equal, not a lot of people who didn't grow up here are moving to Baltimore.

But either way, I really don't think MLB is going to allow the franchise to move and especially if it is by anyone named Angelos.

Baltimore has plenty of safe and nice areas. Fed Hill, Fells, Canton, Locus Point, Mount Vernon, etc.

The city does have an optics problem for sure and the Inner Harbor needs redevelopment badly. Not a whole lot of big tourist areas outside of the Aquarium. If they could redevelop Howard Street and Lexington Market correctly that would be a big first step in getting people from the suburbs back into the city, I think.

• Upvote 1