Richie Martin's Stance/Swing

Yardball85

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Martin is fine as a utility guy though he's going to have to tighten up his defense and base running. He seems to have finally added a little strength and can drive the ball a little more now at the plate. Saying that, utility guys can't be unreliable in the field or on the base baths with dumb errors.

McKenna is hitting better this year, but one thing you don't have to worry about with him is fielding and base running. Martin's defense didn't exactly impress last year and you can't be an MLB utility infielder with a suspect glove. 

29 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I and RZNJ have discussed this in multiple threads. Go Richie Martin!!! It amazes me how few watch games on milb.tv. 

Haha, I follow the Norfolk box scores, but with my wife not being a baseball fan, I am lucky I can watch most of the Orioles MLB games 😄

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Martin is fine as a utility guy though he's going to have to tighten up his defense and base running. He seems to have finally added a little strength and can drive the ball a little more now at the plate. Saying that, utility guys can't be unreliable in the field or on the base baths with dumb errors.

Agreed on all points.  He definitely looks bigger to me. 

Martin is hitting the ball hard now. And he looks as fast as ever on the bases. Let him play, lets see what he's got.

Move him up to the top of the lineup, get him some at bats. Also, lets see if he can steal as good as Mateo and Mullins. 

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Lol at everyone who said it wasn't worth it to replace Owings with Martin.

It took Richie TWO GAMES to surpass Owings' total bases (26 games) for the year. 

But yeah something about Owings track record or whatever. Okay.

Did I miss the group of people who said Owings was irreplaceable? 

On 6/13/2022 at 1:08 PM, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I and RZNJ have discussed this in multiple threads. Go Richie Martin!!! It amazes me how few watch games on milb.tv. 

We have?    I honestly don't remember too many posts (actually don't remember any) about Richie Martin.   It could just be my failing memory though.   Wilcard had been talking him up in the minors and I really didn't care or buy into it but he does look a little more hitterish now.    I think he's a competent fielder but that throw past Odor took all of the good feeling away from his offense and he's made some questionable running plays in this short time back here.   Not sure how high the baseball IQ is but he's got the things you want from a utility guy.   Speed, competent defense at multiple positions (not sure how he looked in the OF at Norfolk).

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

We have?    I honestly don't remember too many posts (actually don't remember any) about Richie Martin.   It could just be my failing memory though.   Wilcard had been talking him up in the minors and I really didn't care or buy into it but he does look a little more hitterish now.    I think he's a competent fielder but that throw past Odor took all of the good feeling away from his offense and he's made some questionable running plays in this short time back here.   Not sure how high the baseball IQ is but he's got the things you want from a utility guy.   Speed, competent defense at multiple positions (not sure how he looked in the OF at Norfolk).

Just chatted about his new stance. I thought I was the only one that noticed how much it helped him.