20-15 since May 19th

Tony-OH

4 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Even If the O's are actually in the wild card race, I don't expect Elias to trade away prospects for any help. I just think we are going to live and die with who we have on the ML club and in the system. 

What if you could turn Mancini or Santander into some pitching help?

3 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

What if you could turn Mancini or Santander into some pitching help?

Well that's a different idea altogether. Do you really think some other team is going to want to trade ML pitching for Mancini or Santander? If anything, that team is going to offer prospects (and not top prospects) for those two. 

25 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Well that's a different idea altogether. Do you really think some other team is going to want to trade ML pitching for Mancini or Santander? If anything, that team is going to offer prospects (and not top prospects) for those two. 

I don’t know but I would like to see Elias try and make it work.  I saw on MLBTR today that Cleveland could be a team willing to move major league ready pitchers. Maybe a 3 team trade? Not saying I have a plan, just saying this is something I would like to see them persue vs trading Mancini for a single A lottery ticket. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I don’t know but I would like to see Elias try and make it work.  I saw on MLBTR today that Cleveland could be a team willing to move major league ready pitchers. Maybe a 3 team trade? Not saying I have a plan, just saying this is something I would like to see them persue vs trading Mancini for a single A lottery ticket. 

Cleveland is 2 games ahead of the O's in the WC standings. Even if they were willing to move major league ready pitchers, why would they want two sub .800 OPS players in return? 

6 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Cleveland is 2 games ahead of the O's in the WC standings. Even if they were willing to move major league ready pitchers, why would they want two sub .800 OPS players in return? 

800 OPS ain't what it used to be.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

True... but why would Cleveland trade "major league ready" pitching for "what it used to be"?

No, they won't.  I'm just saying: Both those guys may have sub 800 OPS, but they have both been  quite valuable this year.  The issue is anybody trading for immediate offensive help to make a playoff run is not going to trade starting pitching that will currently help us.  Not that they have sub 800 OPS.

17 minutes ago, Pickles said:

No, they won't.  I'm just saying: Both those guys may have sub 800 OPS, but they have both been  quite valuable this year.  The issue is anybody trading for immediate offensive help to make a playoff run is not going to trade starting pitching that will currently help us.  Not that they have sub 800 OPS.

Exactly. Which is why I think Elias may trade those players for prospects, but he won't trade prospects for a WC run. He is trying to build a strong sustainable pipeline of prospects first and foremost. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Exactly. Which is why I think Elias may trade those players for prospects, but he won't trade prospects for a WC run. He is trying to build a strong sustainable pipeline of prospects first and foremost. 

Personally, I think he's more likely to trade neither than to trade both.  Mancini makes sense.  But only if you get a legitimate prospect(s).

• Upvote 1

Here’s a radical idea, trade RM and keep Mancini at 1B. Mancini is a better fielder and more valuable this year (1.6 to 1.1 rWAR). RM would surely bring more in trade because some GM will be mesmerized by the power and his youth.

Mancini would be even more valuable if Hyde would stop playing him in the OF. And he may be one of those guys who’s more valuable to the Orioles than another team. 

In a couple years they likely have someone coming up to take over for Mancini, maybe Baumler if the glove won’t play at third, Kjerstad, heck even Diaz. Might be motivation for him knowing his hamstrings hold up better without all the running in the OF. 😏

6 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Here’s a radical idea, trade RM and keep Mancini at 1B. Mancini is a better fielder and more valuable this year (1.6 to 1.1 rWAR). RM would surely bring more in trade because some GM will be mesmerized by the power and his youth.

Mancini would be even more valuable if Hyde would stop playing him in the OF. And he may be one of those guys who’s more valuable to the Orioles than another team. 

In a couple years they likely have someone coming up to take over for Mancini, maybe Baumler if the glove won’t play at third, Kjerstad, heck even Diaz. Might be motivation for him knowing his hamstrings hold up better without all the running in the OF. 😏

So keep the older, more expensive player?

I'm good.

15 hours ago, justD said:

It's going to be interesting to see how the Twins handle their pitching coach abandoning them this week. Will they rally, or falter, or will it have no impact at all? 

As a fan, I'd be kinda crushed. And ticked off, to put in nicely. As a pitcher? I wonder.

The O’s had that happen a couple of times, no?   Of course, I’m not sure the pitchers were sorry to see them go.   

The Twins’ pitching has been pretty good this year, 5th in the AL at 3.69 ERA.   So, the coach is leaving on a high note, at least performance-wise.  

7 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

You meant Mayo instead of Baumler as a possible Mountcastle replacement. Either way, I doubt the Orioles are going to keep an older more expensive player in Mancini over Mountcastle. Saying that, Mancini is not really going to be that expensive next year as they have a mutual option that they could both decide to enact. I'm not so sure Mancini needs to be traded. 

As for Mountcastle, he's cost controlled and productive most of the season. Now, would I trade him if for a similarly aged, experienced and good starting pitcher? Probably. 

Mancini could go back to first and it would open up a spot for Rutschman to DH when he's not catching. Also, Rutschman played a decent amount of first base in the minors last year and was pretty good. He could also play there when not catching.

• Upvote 1