Would you take Jones Jr at full slot (or close to it) or Termarr Johnson at $1.5M under slot?

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Sure I'll be exhausted by the time we get real life outcomes late next Sunday night.    1-1 will be around dinner time.

…and I will be out to dinner, having foolishly scheduled something with my family several weeks ago without realizing the timing of the draft.   I should just be polishing off a cocktail and getting my entree around the time the O’s make their pick.   

Maybe it’s better that way.  Once I’m home I can amuse myself scrolling though all the comments by people who think they are experts on the topic.  I wonder if I can resist the temptation to check my phone for news of the pick while I’m having dinner with 7 other people, none of whom know who the hell Druw Jones or Termarr Johnson are.  

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

…and I will be out to dinner, having foolishly scheduled something with my family several weeks ago without realizing the timing of the draft.   I should just be polishing off a cocktail and getting my entree around the time the O’s make their pick.   

Maybe it’s better that way.  Once I’m home I can amuse myself scrolling though all the comments by people who think they are experts on the topic.  I wonder if I can resist the temptation to check my phone for news of the pick while I’m having dinner with 7 other people, none of whom know who the hell Druw Jones or Termarr Johnson are.  

Go to the bathroom 30 minutes or so after the draft starts. 

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

Perhaps it'd be a good conversation starter? :D

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

Maybe you should invited SportsGuy and NelsonCruz and turn it into a combination family event/Orioles draft dinner?    While the family is catching up on the news of the day they can give you a blow by blow of the draft with critical commentary.   Hopefully, your party won't be asked to leave the restaurant due to bad language and noise.

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Maybe you should invited SportsGuy and NelsonCruz and turn it into a combination family event/Orioles draft dinner?    While the family is catching up on the news of the day they can give you a blow by blow of the draft with critical commentary.   Hopefully, your party won't be asked to leave the restaurant due to bad language and noise.

Fight that started as a simple discussion about MLB draft strategies.

• Haha 2

http://sunbelt2013.wttbaseball.pointstreak.com/player.html?playerid=1584055&seasonid=33283

After 14 games in his summer league. Termarr is at .269 with 14 strikeouts, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 0 homers and 8 errors at SS.    Granted, he's going up against older players but these numbers don't point to an elite HS hitter, IMO.   You'd expect him to go on a college campus and rake as a freshmen against Division I competition.   So, I applaud Termarr for continuing to put himself out there but I think this has done him more harm than good as far as his draft status.   For those who questioned the hype on his hit tool this is confirmation to step on the brakes a bit.

• Upvote 3

On 7/7/2022 at 2:05 PM, RZNJ said:

I don't know any scouts but I'm concerned about the disparity of those reports.  Keith Law thinks it's a 60 now and could be a 70.  Most of the sites seem to think it's a 70.   I have seen a few 80's put on his hit tool.   I keep going back to the Perfect Game Showcase game where Brock Porter blew him away and he looked weak against a LHP.   Then in this summer league he's in.  13 games.  .292 AVG.   0 home runs.  13 strikeouts in 49 AB's.   Those are nice numbers but I don't feel "80" bat.  Maybe it's confirmation bias but I'm with Keith Law, who admittedly still likes him enough to have him at #3 on his board.   I'm not feeling it.

You may be right - I haven't personally seen enough of him hitting to have a judgement.

Will be really interesting to watch what Elias does. The O's seem to have multiple high quality prospects at almost every position. Is there an obvious hole on the team outside of starting pitching?

11 minutes ago, bluedog said:

You may be right - I haven't personally seen enough of him hitting to have a judgement.

Will be really interesting to watch what Elias does. The O's seem to have multiple high quality prospects at almost every position. Is there an obvious hole on the team outside of starting pitching?

Besides Mullins do we have a true CF in the system or a true SS.  Cowser maybe can play CF. Henderson and Westburg can maybe play SS.  From that perspective Jones and Holliday make the most sense.

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Besides Mullins do we have a true CF in the system or a true SS.  Cowser maybe can play CF. Henderson and Westburg can maybe play SS.  From that perspective Jones and Holliday make the most sense.

They also happen to be very valuable positions. You want guys who can play there. 

Not sure if Holliday will stick at SS. Seems clear Jones will stick in CF. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Lee is almost certainly a very very good future 3B. Will be a great pick for someone.

Saw a comment saying Sig saw him as Alex Bregman. If that's accurate, I'd guess he'll be the pick. 

6 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Lee is almost certainly a very very good future 3B. Will be a great pick for someone.

Does have a bit of injury history and worked with his dad, does he adjust well to that change in environment? Buddy of mine said he thinks it will be Lee, we will see. I don’t see Elias working with Boras, but who knows.