Mancini trade market heating up? Orioles willing to deal Santander? Yankees and Mets?

Sports Guy

I would not trade Hays or Mullins yet. I believe they have more peak value in the future whether its in a trade or to help the next winning team.

If the O's trade Mancini, Santander, and Lopez, I believe they can still remain competitive the rest of the season. I think Tate, Lyles, etc stay put for now.

By clearing out the DH spot, a corner OF, and a back end reliever w/ trades (and cutting Odor), it gives Elias just enough room for testing this next bit of MLB ready/AAAA talent that has accumulated at Norfolk with Stowers, Diaz, Vavra, Baumann, Hall, Vespi, etc.   I think this group needs to be combed through for value this season before we move on to the next wave of Henderson, Westburg, Cowser, Gray Rod, etc next season.

3 hours ago, survivedc said:

Twitter says the Mancini return requested was Khalil Lee

Elias is trying a new strategy.  The other team can't win games if you have all the outfielders.  Like every single one.

Lee would give the Orioles flexibility to move Mullins or Hayes with potentially less drop off in the next few years.  

The way Elias is drafting the Orioles are angling to be an OFer factory with high power left hand hitters in RF necessitating rangy CFers.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all, I agree they won’t trade him.

But the Marlins represent the best fit.  If I’m going to assume they keep Meyer and Eury Perez, I’m thinking Lopez (a guy the Marlins are rumored to be shopping and the Os are rumored to be interested in), Eder and Yiddi Cappe would be my targeted package.

I heard on the radio this morning that Miami is interested in Lourdes Gurriel. I don't know if they were just gum bumping or if that's true. Mullins would seem to fit their needs better but maybe the asking price is too high...or he's not available.

32 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t believe it. Why would we logjam a OF when we already need to make room for Stowers? That’s why Ramirez makes more sense at A ball.

I don't believe it either. We should just keep Mancini if Khalil Lee is all the Mets are offering - I consider Lee to be a failed prospect.

We should be targeting pitching in the Mets system like Hamel and Ziegler. If the Mets don't want to part with them, then just shop Trey to other teams or hold onto him for the stretch run.

Regardless of whether you want to see the Orioles go for the playoffs this year, continue gearing for the future...or a hybrid of both.

The Orioles need to be active here at the deadline and will be missing an opportunity if they are not.  As Tony said a page or two back.  Anyone is available for the right deal.  But the Orioles should not dump anyone (Mancini) just because they wont be back next year.  And they should not trade any from their OF depth...just to bring up and look at new guys.

Also, I don't think any of that is going to happen, but I do think sometimes we get carried away here.  The Orioles have no salary to dump.  They have a talented team and they have some pieces they can move to make themselves better.  I am pretty comfortable that Elias is going to keep options open and and is gonna continue to do so through the early part of next week.

But I think if someone makes a good offer that brings what he deems surplus value...Whether it is major league ready or 2 years down the road, I think Mancini is going to go at a minimum.

It is an exciting and exhausting time:  drafts, trades, wins and losses.  It's great to be an Oriole fan but there are miles to go.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

By getting rid of those guys, you can bring up everyone.  You don’t think we can replace their offense, which isn’t exactly off the charts, with guys like Westburg, Gunnar, Vavra and Stowers?

Westburg and Gunnar don’t play the outfield. I guess you could put Vavra in Cf and Stowers in RF.  I don’t know maybe I’m not as excited about Vavra as others.

Has there been any word about the International Draft/draft pick compensation decision? Looking at the QO's last year, that wouldn't be out of the question for Trey, and might be the most likely scenario for getting something back. I'd say his resume compares to Conforto, Castellanos, and Belt.  Belt took it, Castellanos declined and got 5/$100, Conforto declined then ended up with nothing after hurting himself. Chris Taylor said no and signed an extension for 4/$60. 

19 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I don't believe it either. We should just keep Mancini if Khalil Lee is all the Mets are offering - I consider Lee to be a failed prospect.

We should be targeting pitching in the Mets system like Hamel and Ziegler. If the Mets don't want to part with them, then just shop Trey to other teams or hold onto him for the stretch run.

Why ?

He was a .950 OPS in 2021 and has been given only 20 ABs at the big league level….I wouldn’t even consider that a cup of coffee. He has had a down season in AAA tho year but it’s probably due to lack of an opportunity after last season and that he’s blocked. 

I just don’t think we need another 25 year old OF at this point. That’s why I suggested Ramirez. I’m in agreement we need younger player depth. I think Trey can get us a couple decent parts and I’m selling high on Lopez who IMO is a confidence player and could see him self destruct next year after a bad start. He’d have no value if that happened

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Has there been any word about the International Draft/draft pick compensation decision? Looking at the QO's last year, that wouldn't be out of the question for Trey, and might be the most likely scenario for getting something back. I'd say his resume compares to Conforto, Castellanos, and Belt.  Belt took it, Castellanos declined and got 5/$100, Conforto declined then ended up with nothing after hurting himself. Chris Taylor said no and signed an extension for 4/$60. 

July 25th.

I don't think the O's risk giving Trey a QO.

I think anyone suggesting that we trade Mullins and move Hays to CF needs to understand that our OF defense will take a pretty serious hit by doing so.   I’m not saying I’d be against the move (as others said, it depends what the return is).   But Hays doesn’t have the range in CF that Mullins does, and whoever takes Hays’ corner OF spot will probably be a defensive downgrade from Hays at that spot.   

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

July 25th.

I don't think the O's risk giving Trey a QO.

Yep, I know the deadline. I find it odd that we're three days out and haven't seen any buzz. 

You are probably right but why not? One year commitment, we have the payroll flexibility, and could use a dependable bat in case the prospects aren't working out, injury to Mountcastle or any of the OF's, etc. Based on the names above I think the odds he says yes are no more than break-even.

13 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Why ?

He was a .950 OPS in 2021 and has been given only 20 ABs at the big league level….I wouldn’t even consider that a cup of coffee. He has had a down season in AAA tho year but it’s probably due to lack of an opportunity after last season and that he’s blocked. 

I just don’t think we need another 25 year old OF at this point. That’s why I suggested Ramirez. I’m in agreement we need younger player depth. I think Trey can get us a couple decent parts and I’m selling high on Lopez who IMO is a confidence player and could see him self destruct next year after a bad start. He’d have no value if that happened

I like Ramirez a lot, but I just don't think the Mets would part with him for a rental. I do think Hamel or Ziegler are realistic, and if we add Tate or Lopez, we'd be able to get more. Perhaps Mancini and Lopez could get us Ramirez, and I'm with you there, I'd be all about that.

18 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Westburg and Gunnar don’t play the outfield. I guess you could put Vavra in Cf and Stowers in RF.  I don’t know maybe I’m not as excited about Vavra as others.

It really has nothing to do with the OF offense though.  It’s the overall offensive improvement.

By getting those guys out of the lineup, it frees up the at bats for all of those guys.  They can DH, guys can play the OF(Mateo and Vavra), etc…Mullins and Santander are having ok but nothing special offensive years.  We just aren’t losing a ton by dropping them and bringing up other guys while also greatly improving the pitching staff.

To be honest, I think the bigger question is how much the defense drop off.

21 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Saw an article the other day, can't remember where, that said the union and MLB were "far apart".   So what happens if they can't reach an agreement?   No IntDraft & status quo QOs?