O's on the edge of contention in July

wildcard

This team is a lot of fun to watch, absolutely. Overachieving at the moment, I think. Pretty optimistic to expect this group to stay healthy and keep up the this type of play. 

Is the goal to simply “contend?” Are we going to trade top 10-20 prospects for players or pitchers for us to maybe win a wildcard spot? I’d rather go hard at winning it all, or trade the guys who are not on the next World Series team.  I think it unwise to get caught in between.

Trey, for as much as we fans love the guy, is expendable. Santander also. I can see keeping Lopez or Tate, but not both, if there is value there in a trade. Maybe we add a vet for another team’s salary relief, though I doubt they will add much salary. 

Our starters right now: Wells, Lyles, Kremer, Watkins and Voth. Wells is supposed to be slowed down, or maybe shut down at some point. Harvey likely comes up soon. So, who is your playoff rotation? This group does not inspire me in a playoff series. Maybe I’m wrong. 

I think they should stay the course. Fans will be pissed, so be it. The taste of winning should not cloud the soundness of judgement. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I think wildcard is right: we’ll see what the situation is in 2-3 weeks.   I will be surprised if the situation then warrants a drive for a playoff spot.   But I’m surprised that we’re only 2 under .500 now.   So, we’ll see.   

• Upvote 1

Elias gets a view of 17 more games before the trade deadline, barring rainouts.

Is even 6-0 to close first half enough to make him take a long think about unveiling Hall-Gunnar-Westburg to open the second half?

We have a chunk of 7 Rays games soon after news breaking today Wander's wrist might be a non-minor injury.

I do hope we pitch Lyles Tuesday-Sunday-Friday, if he's game.    Its kind of the time of his life this month as much as Mancini's.

• Upvote 1

Tampa is ravaged by injuries.  It’s crazy that they are keeping themselves afloat.

I think you need to move (assuming the trade is there) Santander and Tate.  We have the players to replace those guys.  I have big questions about whether Tate can keep it up and Santander just is who he is at this point.  They provide value and aren’t paid much but our situation makes them replaceable.

As for anyone else, it depends on the deals on the table.

I want to see Stowers, Vavra, Henderson and Westburg get extended looks.  What does that mean for everyone else?

Well, Santander is gone in a trade.  Mateo moves to UTI role. Nevin gone.   Arauz also gone.  What you have left are decisions on Odor and McKenna in terms of making it clean and easy and not having to do any other trades. 

Diaz is another guy if he is performing and healthy that needs to come up.

Urias becomes an intriguing to potentially trade as well.  I like Him and would be happy to keep him but he could be a piece in a deal to obtain a pitcher.  If you were to put him with some of the prospects in that 10-20 range, you may be able to obtain a guy like Blake Snell, a player the Padres want to move and we may be able to get relatively cheaply.

If you can add Snell cheaply, trade those 2 I mentioned before and find room to bring up all of your young players, I think that’s a good way to go.

I’m all in on trading other guys like Mancini, Lopez or Mullins but the trades have to make sense.  IM at the point now where I don’t feel we need to trade Trey.

Of course, I loosen the reigns on that idea a little if the team falls apart these next few weeks but no matter what happens, I want to move Santander and Tate and get Snell if he can be had cheaply.(relatively speaking)

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Tampa is ravaged by injuries.  It’s crazy that they are keeping themselves afloat.

I think you need to move (assuming the trade is there) Santander and Tate.  We have the players to replace those guys.  I have big questions about whether Tate can keep it up and Santander just is who he is at this point.  They provide value and aren’t paid much but our situation makes them replaceable.

I want to see Stowers, Vavra, Henderson and Westburg get extended looks.  What does that mean for everyone else?

Well, Santander is gone in a trade.  Mateo moves to UTI role. Nevin gone.   Arauz also gone.  What you have left are decisions on Odor and McKenna in terms of making it clean and easy and not having to do any other trades. 

Urias becomes an intriguing to potentially trade as well.  I like Him and would be happy to keep him but he could be a piece in a deal to obtain a pitcher.  If you were to put him with some of the prospects in that 10-20 range, you may be able to obtain a guy like Blake Snell, a player the Padres want to move and we may be able to get relatively cheaply.

If you can add Snell cheaply, trade those 2 I mentioned before and find room to bring up all of your young players, I think that’s a good way to go.

I’m all in on trading other guys like Mancini, Lopez or Mullins but the trades have to make sense.  IM at the point now where I don’t feel we need to trade Trey.

Of course, I loosen the reigns on that idea a little if the team falls apart these next few weeks but no matter what happens, I want to move Santander and Tate and get Snell if he can be had cheaply.(relatively speaking)

I mentioned adding Bumgarner or Snydergaard in a deal. Bumgarner looks like a salary dump and could probably be had for half of what he is owed the rest of this year,  next, and at his full salary of $14 million in 2024. It probably would cost a couple of C prospects. You should recover considerably more than that moving Santander, Trea, and Lopez. 

Also Lyles was recently mentioned in trade possibilities on MLB trade rumors. Unless you are upgrading I’d keep and extend him 2-3 years. Especially if he’s in at $7 million or so per. He’s a major reason why we are where we are this season. 

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I mentioned adding Bumgarner or Snydergaard in a deal. Bumgarner looks like a salary dump and could probably be had for half of what he is owed the rest of this year,  next, and at his full salary of $14 million in 2024. It probably would cost a couple of C prospects. You should recover considerably more than that moving Santander, Trea, and Lopez. 

Also Lyles was recently mentioned in trade possibilities on MLB trade rumors. Unless you are upgrading I’d keep and extend him 2-3 years. Especially if he’s in at $7 million or so per. He’s a major reason why we are where we are this season. 

It’s Trey, not Trea. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Interesting take.  The next few weeks will be fascinating both on and off the field.   I agree on Santander and Tate.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting take.  The next few weeks will be fascinating both on and off the field.   I agree on Santander and Tate.

To be clear, whether they go 17-0 or 0-17, I would definitely trade those 2 and try and get Snell.  

After that, it depends on many other factors.

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t feel you have to trade him but I would shop him.  I’m not trading him for the hell of it though.  While I don’t think he’s a sub 2 ERA pitcher, he is good.

I’d invest in Perez and Bautista and move on from Lopez. I do think someone will overpay.