Rosenthal: Os could be buyers and sellers

Sports Guy

https://theathletic.com/3416811/2022/07/11/baltimore-orioles-trade-deadline-plan/?source=user_shared_article

If the Orioles sought to add players — veteran starting pitchers, in particular — it would not be solely for 2022. In theory, they could play on the two top pitchers on the trade market, Redsright-hander Luis Castillo and Athletics righty Frankie Montas, both of whom are under club control through next season. They also could pursue a controllable starter from a team looking to cut salary, someone like Padres left-hander Blake Snell.

Snell also might be difficult to pry away if the Padres want to protect their pitching depth. Injuries to several starters contributed to the team’s collapse last season.

Then again, the Padres are close to exceeding the luxury-tax threshold for a second straight year, and Snell is earning $13.1 million this season and $16.6 million in 2023. The Padres also need offense, and have shown past interest in Orioles right fielder Anthony Santander, sources said.

• Upvote 2

The Orioles’ surge has team officials all but dismissing the possibility of trading center fielder Cedric Mullins or left fielder Austin Hays, both of whom are under club control for three more years and could be part of the team’s next postseason push (Santander is under club control for two more seasons).

Trey Mancini, a potential free agent who serves mostly as a DH, still appears likely to be traded, along with possibly one or two relievers from the Orioles’ surprising bullpen, which ranks fifth in the majors in ERA. Teams often prefer to trade relievers at peak value, knowing how volatile their performance can be.

• Upvote 3

If the Padres really like Santander and will trade Snell for him then I think that move makes a ton of sense for us.  I am sure there would be some other pieces to that trade to make it work.

What I don't understand is the thought process of going out improving our starting pitching and then trading away our bullpen.  If we traded say Lopez and Tate then our biggest strength (bullpen) starts looking more like a weakness.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

If the Padres really like Santander and will trade Snell for him then I think that move makes a ton of sense for us.  I am sure there would be some other pieces to that trade to make it work.

What I don't understand is the thought process of going out improving our starting pitching and then trading away our bullpen.  If we traded say Lopez and Tate then our biggest strength (bullpen) starts looking more like a weakness.

I think you move Lopez if the offer is too good to pass up but I don’t think that offer comes, so I keep him.

Much more willing to move Tate because I think he’s pitching over his head.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think you move Lopez if the offer is too good to pass up but I don’t think that offer comes, so I keep him.

Much more willing to move Tate because I think he’s pitching over his head.

I agree with this.  No need to trade a guy just to trade him.  Tate is definitely a sell-high guy right now even though I don't think he'd fetch much.  Maybe he would just be a sweetener in a Mancini or Santander deal to push it over the top.

I'm having a tough time understanding why it would take much to get Snell.  He is a few years removed from having a good season and nowhere near where he was during his his Cy Young campaign.  He gets a lot of K's still but does not go deep in games.  His WHIP is 1.3+ for the second year in a row.  I get why we'd be interested but I'd only do it if the player/prospect cost is low.  Taking on his salary is enough of a risk.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

The Orioles’ surge has team officials all but dismissing the possibility of trading center fielder Cedric Mullins or left fielder Austin Hays, both of whom are under club control for three more years and could be part of the team’s next postseason push (Santander is under club control for two more seasons).

Trey Mancini, a potential free agent who serves mostly as a DH, still appears likely to be traded, along with possibly one or two relievers from the Orioles’ surprising bullpen, which ranks fifth in the majors in ERA. Teams often prefer to trade relievers at peak value, knowing how volatile their performance can be.

This is what you and I and a few other posters have been preaching since day 1.  You can buy and sell. 

Snell is pitching exactly at replacement level right now (or slightly below).  Basically the same as Jordan Lyles.   If we want that level of production in 2023 I think we can get it for less than $16M.  Also Lyles has pitched far more innings so far this year.

4 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Snell is pitching exactly at replacement level right now (or slightly below).  Basically the same as Jordan Lyles.   If we want that level of production in 2023 I think we can get it for less than $16M.  Also Lyles has pitched far more innings so far this year.

That’s why I think we’d be better to get Bumgarner as a salary dump plus you have him this year and two more. I think Arizona would pay half of this years remaining ($6.5m) , half of next year ($13million), and we’d owe him the $14 million in 2024. You probably could get him for a couple of C prospects.

Elias has said as much before the win streak.  

41 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

If we traded say Lopez and Tate then our biggest strength (bullpen) starts looking more like a weakness.

Trading Mancini is the only true 'sell' (maybe read as 'locking in long-term value'). I think everyone else of value is under team control. But I'm also not convinced it becomes a weakness if only 1-2 guys are traded.  Especially if Hall is an option.

2 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

I'm having a tough time understanding why it would take much to get Snell. 

Because quality pitching has an odd memory and an immense capacity for hope!  If a guy is throwing good for a few games, then it's hard to give up the hot hand (a lot like trading away talent after a winning streak and in the wildcard hunt).  Especially when the guy has a CY award on his resume (see Bumgardner).

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

What’s the asking price for a Montas or Castillo? 

Reds were wanting Volpe or Peraza from the Yankees.  Not sure about Montas.