All Star Game/Festivities Interest

Bahama O's Fan

5 hours ago, drdelaware said:

Interleague play took away a lot my interest in the All Star Game.

Agree. I really haven't enjoyed the All Star game since Cal retired. Haven't watched the game in several years. Don't care about the home run derby. I wish the All Star break was at least a day shorter. 

When the startting All-Star infield includes Mountcastle, Westburg, Holliday, and Henderson, I'll pay more attention.  Having said that, it's still the best of the All-Star games.  Both teams actually bother to play defense which never happens in the NFL or NBA games.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

When the startting All-Star infield includes Mountcastle, Westburg, Holliday, and Henderson, I'll pay more attention.  Having said that, it's still the best of the All-Star games.  Both teams actually bother to play defense which never happens in the NFL or NBA games.

I'll watch some of tonight's all star game because it still resembles regular season baseball. The NBA all star game is a pickup game with no defense played.  

The NFL Pro Bowl is a flag football game, but I can somewhat understand it because no team wants to lose their all pro QB to a knee injury during an all star game. It just doesn't translate into a good viewing experience for the fans. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'll watch some of tonight's all star game because it still resembles regular season baseball. The NBA all star game is a pickup game with no defense played.  

The NFL Pro Bowl is a flag football game, but I can somewhat understand it because no team wants to lose their all pro QB to a knee injury during an all star game. It just doesn't translate into a good viewing experience for the fans. 

I believe that there are rumors that the NFL is actually considering dropping the Pro Bowl and replacing it with some kind of skills competition instead.  Be like the old Battle of the Network Stars.

Growing up I LOVED the All-Star game to the point that it was my favorite game of the year. I'm not that old (mid-30s) so it's not even interleague versus no interleague for me (though that factors a bit in my earliest years as a fan). I loved watching the game through the 90s and 00s, it was can't miss viewing, even in the years when George Sherrill and Ty Wiggington were our representatives. 

I would plan my day around the game, be sure dinner was done early and I was parked in front of the TV in time for introductions and stayed there (expect to get a snack or use the restroom during commercial breaks). That has all changed the last couple seasons. Last year was cool with Mullins starting. 

This year I only caught highlights of the HR Derby (that has always been a check-in event for me). I'm not nearly as excited for the game as I once was. And while I'll probably watch the introductions and early innings, I imagine I'll be checking in and out by the mid-innings this season. 

40 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Growing up I LOVED the All-Star game to the point that it was my favorite game of the year. I'm not that old (mid-30s) so it's not even interleague versus no interleague for me (though that factors a bit in my earliest years as a fan). I loved watching the game through the 90s and 00s, it was can't miss viewing, even in the years when George Sherrill and Ty Wiggington were our representatives. 

I would plan my day around the game, be sure dinner was done early and I was parked in front of the TV in time for introductions and stayed there (expect to get a snack or use the restroom during commercial breaks). That has all changed the last couple seasons. Last year was cool with Mullins starting. 

This year I only caught highlights of the HR Derby (that has always been a check-in event for me). I'm not nearly as excited for the game as I once was. And while I'll probably watch the introductions and early innings, I imagine I'll be checking in and out by the mid-innings this season. 

Same here. The game used to be really fun and entertaining. Now, it is just one big butt-kissing fest. And the whole mic’d-up thing with the players in the field is just plain cringy. 

2 hours ago, milbest77 said:

Same here. The game used to be really fun and entertaining. Now, it is just one big butt-kissing fest. And the whole mic’d-up thing with the players in the field is just plain cringy. 

Absolutely cringy.  Talking to the pitcher while he's pitching?! The Joke Star game.  I'm in agreement that interleague play ruined the ASG, that and the ridiculous HR Derby.

1 minute ago, slakattack said:

Absolutely cringy.  Talking to the pitcher while he's pitching?! The Joke Star game.  I'm in agreement that interleague play ruined the ASG, that and the ridiculous HR Derby.

I thought it was kind of cool, to be honest. 

Thought it was pretty ballsy on Manoak's part, you have to have a certain type of personality to talk on a national broadcast with John Smoltz and the other guy while pitching...he K'd the side, so...

• Upvote 2

I still watch it, but I don't like it as much as I used to.  For the HR Derby, It was awesome to watch back in the day when guys like Mcgwire and Sosa were hitting 500+ FT bombs.  As for the AS Game I agree, I hate the mics.  It ruins the flow of the game.  I know what they are trying to do, make the players "accessible" to young fans, but I just hate it.  As for Inter League Play, I don't really feel like it takes away from the AS Game.  I am just as excited to watch the best pitchers challenge the best hitters in the world.

1 hour ago, Flash- bd said:

I thought it was kind of cool, to be honest. 

Thought it was pretty ballsy on Manoak's part, you have to have a certain type of personality to talk on a national broadcast with John Smoltz and the other guy while pitching...he K'd the side, so...

I generally hate all sorts of in game interviews including coaches, managers, bullpen guys,  former coaches, family, celebrities, etc. But I have been enjoying all the miced up players in the ASG. I think because it’s a fun exhibition it takes away the cringe. Plus there is more of the players actually talking about the game in a natural way and less of media folks asking the same inane hackneyed questions.