Three minor leaguers that Elias may try to move at the deadline

wildcard

Add in Nevin and you have the 40-man foursome of 4-A players still on the roster. I could throw Arauz in there as well but it would not be as fun of an alliteration. :D

These guys might be "moved" but as others have pointed out, they have no value because these are the guys every organization has. They are flawwed players that really don't do anything good enough to help and stick on a good major league team. If Martin was more consistent in the field at SS he'd have some utility value, but again, there are lots of utility value guys in AAA.

Diaz has that power tool you gotta like but he can't tap into it enough during games and the rest of his game is mediocre at best. 

Bannon and Nevin? Neither one can hit enough to make up for their below average defense anywhere they play.

They could be throw-ins in a larger deal, but I think if we're going to move prospects to acquire a worthwhile starter (which isn't likely) I'd see Mayo, Stowers, Vavra, Cowser, Norby, Prieto, Zimmerman, Haskin, Rom, Baumann as the types of guys who would draw interest and could be available to deal. If we're serious about getting a quality and established ML starter with multiple years of control we're going to have to part with guys we aren't thrilled to part with. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get the boards obsession with Martin.  He isn’t good.  He has no value.  You can find Richie Martin type guys anywhere.  They are a dime a dozen.

Truer words on the OH have rarely been typed. 

Is Diaz the next Yaz?  As much as I want to see Stower up, I agree that Diaz should take the place if Santander if he is traded.  I don’t know if he is going to be any good but I think we are all just burnt out on him because he was the main piece of the Manny deal and he has been hurt every other hour. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I think Nevin has a better chance of sticking with the O's over the winter because Mancini will probably go and Nevin is the backup at 1B.   Bannon is pretty far down the list of 2B/3B behind Urias, Westburg, Gunnar, Vavra, Mateo. Yes Mateo can play 2B.

I think AR is the emergency 1B and they bring someone up if needed for more than a day or two. I don't want a guy like Nevin taking up a spot on the 40 man when/if we contend. Anyone in that spot needs 2 of 3 tools (Power, Plus Defense, Speed)

I wouldn't be mad with seeing how Diaz did for a couple of months before making a decision in the offseason. In hindsight, I would have loved to see what ME turned  3+ moths of manny into vs what DD did. I guess we still don't know if Kremer is legit or just on a hot streak but if he doesn't pan out the O's got nothing. 

44 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

They could be throw-ins in a larger deal, but I think if we're going to move prospects to acquire a worthwhile starter (which isn't likely) I'd see Mayo, Stowers, Vavra, Cowser, Norby, Prieto, Zimmerman, Haskin, Rom, Baumann as the types of guys who would draw interest and could be available to deal. If we're serious about getting a quality and established ML starter with multiple years of control we're going to have to part with guys we aren't thrilled to part with. 

Absolutely.  Some of these trades are going to sting a little for those of us that enjoy following MiLB.  Hopefully Elias makes the "right" trades for established MLB players to put this team over the top.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Nevin isn’t major league quality.   There’s probably 100 options out there better than him.  He’s a .565 OPS poor defensive corner IF/LF.   I have no desire to retain him over the winter.   

You may be right but its a little soon for me to draw that conclusion.   He has a 250/368/396/764 vs lefties.  He is 25.  He was mostly a 1B in the minor but he as not played  much in the majors.  If Mancini leaves then he probably gets more time at 1B/DH if he hits.  With all the infielders and outfielders the O's have he probably will not be needed next year at those positions.  

Just too soon for me to make a decision on him.   I would like to see  him through the rest of the season.   However the O's probably make a decision this off season because he will be out of options and has to stay on the major league roster next year or be DFA'd.

They are alike just likeost of the players involved in the Britton trade. Most were just going to be dropped off of the Yankees 40 man in the winter anyways.

At least Tate has put together some useful innings in Baltimore. He actually looks pretty good right now.