The Yankees Situation for the next few years

isestrex

I'm trying to come up with some optimism for this off-season so here it goes.

The Yanks have apparently given up on developing prospects after one or two bad results and the first exclusion of the postseason in 13 years. They have, instead, reverted back to their old ways of spending rather than being patient and I have to believe (I pray rather) this will catch up to them.

Lineup:

CF Damon (old and declining)

SS Jeter (old and declining)

3B A-Rod (stud for many more years)

1B Teixeira (stud for many more years)

DH Matsui (old and declining)

LF Nady (young role player for years)

C Posada (old and already declined)

2B Cano (young but will never live up to expectation)

RF Swisher (simply not good)

It would appear that they have no young Even Longoria's, Nick Markakis's or Grady Sizemore's on the team. No one to bring them hope for the future. In 3 years they could have a 3B and 1B and that's it. (someone feel free to correct me if there are big Minor league studs in the Yankee farm system but I was aware of only pitching).

Pitching:

Sabathia (Stud now, will break down soon)

Burnett (Carl Pavano)

Wang (getting older, on decline)

Chamberlain (stud for many more years)

Hughes (total bust)

Kennedy (could be a decent 2-3 for many years)

Rivera (decent now, won't last much longer)

Their big guns will help them win now but in 3 years they'll have Chamberlain and maybe Kennedy with hugh contracts sitting worthless.

Stadium/Finances:

The Yankees are in excellent shape because their logo sells well and the YES (Yankee Entertainment & Sports) Network is doing what the Orioles hope MASN will eventually do for them. However... Stadium prices are going up and the American Economy is going down. Something's gotta give and extremities such as sports are often the first luxuries to be extricated from average American family budgets. They will take a hit. Maybe not the first year but if ticket prices continue at a premium they will be struggling. Is it possible to black out your own network? I don't know, I'm not an econimist.

My opinion: We'll have to endure a few more years of the Yanks being dominant and sufficating. But if the Yankees don't win... if they get close but fall apart in the post season for the next 2 years, I see this team crumbling to the floor in 3 to 4 years under the crushing weight of their own impatience.

Too optimistic? It's all I have to hope for.

In 2010, the following contracts are up: Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera,

In 2009, the following contracts are up: Johnny Damon, Hideki Matsui, Xavier Nady, Jose Molina.

The current additions of Tex, Burnett, and Sabathia was more about the 2010+ team than 2009.

After 2009, Rick Ankiel, Vladimir Guerrero, Carl Crawford*, and Matt Holiday are among the OF Free Agents.

A-Rod is no spring chicken, either. He'll be 34 in June. He could decline a lot and still be a very good player, but we can at least hope that he'll decline to the point where he's more like a top 25 player rather than a top 5 player, at which point he'll be incredibly overpaid.

Well, one nice thing about all this is that their outfield defense is going to be abysmal. Plus Jeter is Jeter, so SS will be abysmal as well.

They are still likely going to be a very good team, but the whole thing does have the potential to blow up in their face. I'm not going to wish injuries on anyone, but I certainly hope to see some disappointing performances.

Well, one nice thing about all this is that their outfield defense is going to be abysmal. Plus Jeter is Jeter, so SS will be abysmal as well.

They are still likely going to be a very good team, but the whole thing does have the potential to blow up in their face. I'm not going to wish injuries on anyone, but I certainly hope to see some disappointing performances.

This is only true for the 2009 season.

Archived