A few interesting comments from Elias

Frobby

39 minutes ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

Yea.  There are many casual fans, who see a taste of improvement and success, and instead of appreciating it, they act like they are entitled to have Orioles WS tickets sent to their house for this October.  They want an immediate success, the moment they hop on the bandwagon, and piss on anyone who doesn't see it that way.

The old Orioles would waste good prospects on middling parts in a low risk opportunity at the World Series. 

30 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm so glad we have a GM who can look at this team and have the guts to say "this one ain't it". Because it ain't! Doesn't mean it's not great progress and we shouldn't feel good about it. But this team is not likely make the playoffs much less go deep. No amount of buying would change that in any meaningful way without completely destroying the farm. So keep building. This is what the Rays do. And then one day you look up and you have a constant stream of talent fueling a long run of competitive years.

Thankful the days of trading for Parra to prop up a cursory sniff of the playoffs are dead. Let's do this right. 

Not quite with you on this one.

I like the Mancini trade.  Johnson was too good to pass up. Stowers is ready to replace Mancini in the lineup.

What I don't like is Elias going public with this team is not built to go deep in the playoffs.   He can think it but he should never say it.

This team has been surprising.   The pen, the starting pitching.  It did not seem realistic to think they would do what they are doing.  But why tell this team they are not good enough to improve and keep winning.   Even go deep in the playoffs.  Who does that help.   Keep that crap to yourself Elias.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Not quite with you on this one.

I like the Mancini trade.  Johnson was too good to pass up. Stowers is ready to replace Mancini in the lineup.

What I don't like is Elias going public with this team is not built to go deep in the playoffs.   He can think it but he should never say it.

This team has been surprising.   The pen, the starting pitching.  It did not seem realistic to think they would do what they are doing.  But why tell this team they are not good enough to improve and keep winning.   Even go deep in the playoffs.  Who does that help.   Keep that crap to yourself Elias.

I definitely understand this but IMO this kind of thing is Hyde's job. I don't think what Elias said was as blatant as you are suggesting. He tried to straddle the line and said how proud he was of the improvement etc. At the end of the day it's his job to make sure the organization is healthy, period. But again, I understand what you're saying. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

No amount of buying would change that in any meaningful way without completely destroying the farm. So keep building. This is what the Rays do. And then one day you look up and you have a constant stream of talent fueling a long run of competitive years.

I wouldn't go this far.    All it takes is the utilization of the tool of money, and I believe Noah Syndergaard and Madison Bumgarner could pitch against Pittsburgh with Gunnar Henderson backfilling Mancini this weekend, and no significant talent expended.

It would require rethinking cashflow plans likely put in place on the almost certain expectation of another 95 losses.