Jorge Lopez traded to Twins for pitching prospects (edit)

interloper

28 minutes ago, jcaponio said:

Don’t let this thread distract you from the fact that Aguilar and Phillips combined for a higher WAR after the trade deadline than Mancini and Lopez did. 

This!  Elias knew to trade at peak value.  As much as I think Mancini is a great guy, the O's don't need a $10 million DH.

6 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

This!  Elias knew to trade at peak value.  As much as I think Mancini is a great guy, the O's don't need a $10 million DH.

Lots of people cried when Lopez was traded. I said he was a confidence player that would string together bad outings. His regression was certainly predictable. Elias moves were smart.

On 10/12/2022 at 1:14 PM, Sports Guy said:

You can disagree all you want but you’re largely wrong.

The bottom line is this team went into the last few weeks of the season a legit playoff contender.

You can decide if it was real or not and that’s fine.   But what isn’t debatable is that Elias chose the long term over winning now.  We don’t know if that’s the right decision.

You don’t play so you can tell everyone you have the best farm system in baseball.  There are no awards for that. You play to win and Elias took that away from those players.

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+   "Legit Playoff Contender???"

• Haha 1

On 10/12/2022 at 10:53 PM, jcaponio said:

Don’t let this thread distract you from the fact that Aguilar and Phillips combined for a higher WAR after the trade deadline than Mancini and Lopez did. 

I'll be honest, I didn't realize how bad Mancini bombed with the Astros. That's ashamed because we all obviously like him, but he needed to go to free up the DH spot so Rutschman could still play everyday when not catching. The fact that we received two legitimate top 30-prospects for a little more than two month of him is a great trade.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I'll be honest, I didn't realize how bad Mancini bombed with the Astros. That's ashamed because we all obviously like him, but he needed to go to free up the DH spot so Rutschman could still play everyday when not catching. The fact that we received two legitimate top 30-prospects for a little more than two month of him is a great trade.

Nice article about Chayce McDermott and Cade Povich … Seth Johnson, the other pitcher from Rays in Mancini deal was highly thought of, now recovering from TJ but could be pitching again late next season 

https://www.camdenchat.com/platform/amp/2022/10/14/23403946/orioles-prospect-season-in-review-cade-povich-and-chayce-mcdermott

• Upvote 1

Realistically, what will he likely get in arb?  $3-4 million?  If the Twins DFA him, I’d want the O’s to do that. Even a 2/10 deal. I think he’s exactly what we need in MR and SU. Although, I do expect Baker to take a big step forward. 

At the end of the day, you can’t teach a 98/99 MPH sinker. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Realistically, what will he likely get in arb?  $3-4 million?  If the Twins DFA him, I’d want the O’s to do that. Even a 2/10 deal. I think he’s exactly what we need in MR and SU. Although, I do expect Baker to take a big step forward. 

At the end of the day, you can’t teach a 98/99 MPH sinker. 

I think I agree with you. He could be valuable to add to the corps of Baker, Tate, Perez, Bautista. 

I wonder if Zack Britton given his rehab from surgery status may be had on the cheaper side for a possible comeback year? 

13 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I think I agree with you. He could be valuable to add to the corps of Baker, Tate, Perez, Bautista. 

I wonder if Zack Britton given his rehab from surgery status may be had on the cheaper side for a possible comeback year? 

I'd be concerned Britton's goose is cooked. I saw when he walked off the mound after throwing just a few pitches coming back from rehab and the look on his face said something was more wrong than "arm fatigue". I like Zack, but I'm not sure I'd be spending money on him with that risk. 

Edited by CharmCityHokie

16 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I'd be concerned Britton's goose is cooked. I saw when he walked off the mound after throwing just a few pitches coming back from rehab and the look on his face said something was more wrong than "arm fatigue". I like Zack, but I'm not sure I'd be spending money on him with that risk. 

He will cost nothing to sign. He may even be looking at a minor league deal.

3 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

All of those things can be assessed.. he came back too fast after TJ, year rather than year and half but give him a good six months, he could be a useful addition at low cost probably.  I would take a risk.