Do you believe the O's will call up Henderson this season?

interloper

Do you believe the O's will call up Henderson this season?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe the O's will call up Henderson this season?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/22 at 17:26

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think August 23 is the date at which he’ll be sure not to accumulate 45 days of service.   They’d still probably need to hold him out of some games to keep him under 130 at bats.  I’m hoping they do it, so that can_of_corn can have a case of apoplexy when they do.  

Interesting - that’s 14 games from now. I wonder if that’s circled on the calendar in the Warehouse? 

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

I think people are way over reacting to the 40 man roster crunch.  I don’t believe there is any crunch at all really this season.  Elias has pretty much stayed at between 24-26 pitchers on the 40 man throughout every season when I check including in the off season.  So I assume we stay in that same area again this off season giving us 14-16 spots.  I am only going to look at the positional players for this.

The inevitable roster crunch is something that I've been discussing/tracking since early 2021. I consider 22 players "safe", 8 players "probable", 7 players "even odds", 8 players as a "chance" and 7 players as "unlikely" heading into the offseason Rule V. I don't consider that a crunch yet. You don't have to have a fully formed active roster prior to the Rule V, so that helps. I do think that once we get into the 2023 season with a fully outfitted active roster, we will start having to expose guys that we don't want to lose in the practice of moving players for performance/injury/needs. That's what I'd consider a real "crunch". We're not there yet, but it's not far off either. Not every player on your 40 is a developmental building block. You still have to field a full team. A roster crunch is a seriously healthy organizational barometer, so it's a good problem to have. As an aside, I've wondered on multiple occasions what player we would have gotten in a 2022 Rule V, and whether he would have been better than Vespi, who I'm certain we would have lost. 

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Whether you believe in the Os chances to contend this or not, the fact is they are contending and have a shot.  

I get that they are winning and that makes it easier to prolong calling up Henderson and Stowers and whoever else but the fact is, this lineup has struggled for the most part and these guys can potentially be much better than what is here.

We should be more concerned about winning games and trying to make the playoffs than the potential for a draft pick in 2024.

Those advocating to look past this season to the future have not re-evaluated their expectations to see where we actually are. 1GB from 2 of the WC teams, 3GB from the 1st WC as we near the middle of August. Oh, and we're a ho hum 40-26 since calling Adley up on May 21st. The culture is already different and to quote Lou Brown, we're contenders now.

1 hour ago, oriolefan1035 said:

Using subjective non-consensus top 30 rankings is fitting your narrative. What are the odds these guys become quality MLB players? It’s not like we got top 100 guys in return with a high likelihood of making it to that level. Maybe they will. The likelihood isn’t real high though.

I used the mlb.com top 30! Feel free to check it if you’d like. 3 of the guys we got in the 2 trades are likely in any current top 30 you look at. They aren’t lottery tickets ….your wrong dude. 

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I used the mlb.com top 30! Feel free to check it if you’d like. 3 of the guys we got in the 2 trades are likely in any current top 30 you look at. They aren’t lottery tickets ….your wrong dude. 

You act like we have no business being competitive in 2022…you’re** wrong dude. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Whether you believe in the Os chances to contend this or not, the fact is they are contending and have a shot.  

I get that they are winning and that makes it easier to prolong calling up Henderson and Stowers and whoever else but the fact is, this lineup has struggled for the most part and these guys can potentially be much better than what is here.

We should be more concerned about winning games and trying to make the playoffs than the potential for a draft pick in 2024.

If they were going to add Stowers before roster expansion he would be here. Getting Phillips tells me that they are not in a rush to bring him up. I think we can all agree that Stowers is ready but still isn’t here. That pretty obviously tells you that Elias is playing the clock game with him. Grayson had a pretty serious muscle injury and Elias isn’t rushing him back to aid in a wild card chase at risk of injuring him again. Plus he’d need to build endurance unless your planning to put him in the pen. The pen is performing well  so why rush it. Hall is pitching poorly the last couple starts and they were asking him to be more consistent before the down swing. Hyde can’t find regular playing time for McKenna or field time for Vavra. So who are they cutting to bring up Westburg or Henderson? Mateo and Urias are both playing well and they are likley both here next year barring a trade. As for Odor, if they were going to dump him I think they would’ve. Today they are sitting Urias to play Odor at 3B why Vavra is playing 2B.

As fans I understand what we want, I just don’t see Urias doing it based on what I’ve said above. 

8 minutes ago, oriolefan1035 said:

You act like we have no business being competitive in 2022…you’re** wrong dude. 

No I don’t…I’m just paying attention to what our GM is doing. I think we ultimately make the playoffs in the wildcard. But, I don’t expect him to leave his path to appease fans. He’s been very methodical in this process.  if you haven’t learned about Elias and his approach to this season by the deadline then I won’t have any shot at convincing you. So wait and see!

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

No I don’t…I’m just paying attention to what our GM is doing. I think we ultimately make the playoffs in the wildcard. But, I don’t expect him to leave his path to appease fans. He’s been very methodical in this process.  if you haven’t learned about Elias and his approach to this season by the deadline then I won’t have any shot at convincing you. So wait and see!

You were advocating we sell at the deadline, and now you’re advocating we keep our stud prospects who are developmentally ready down all year. Should we wait until May to call them up? We don’t need 25 prospects in the top 100 before we decide to make some moves with an emphasis on winning now. Unless they don’t intend for GrayRod, Hall, and Gunnar to start the season in Baltimore next year, there is zero to be gained by keeping them down beyond the August 21st date. You’ll see them this year in Baltimore - do try to enjoy it.

1 minute ago, oriolefan1035 said:

You were advocating we sell at the deadline, and now you’re advocating we keep our stud prospects who are developmentally ready down all year. Should we wait until May to call them up? We don’t need 25 prospects in the top 100 before we decide to make some moves with an emphasis on winning now. Unless they don’t intend for GrayRod, Hall, and Gunnar to start the season in Baltimore next year, there is zero to be gained by keeping them down beyond the August 21st date. You’ll see them this year in Baltimore - do try to enjoy it.

That’s where you are mistaken! I’m not advocating for anything! I hated the Phillips acquisition. I can’t believe Odor is still on the team! I believed they would sell at the deadline and Mancini & Lopez were the obvious 2. Manicini was gone after the season. Elias did the right thing and got something for him. Lopez was a sell high situation and you already had his replacement on the staff. 

Im telling you what I believe that Elias will do with the guys that haven’t been promoted. I’m not advocating for anything. I’m giving my opinion based on what Elias has said and his previous actions. He cares more about the long term plan than this season’s wildcard chase. I don’t understand why it’s so hard to understand.

So, now I have it! You are advocating for the promotion of the guys we’ve been discussing. Fine ….admirable. But, if you think Elias give two craps about what you want to happen you are dreaming. 

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

That’s where you are mistaken! I’m not advocating for anything! I hated the Phillips acquisition. I can’t believe Odor is still on the team! I believed they would sell at the deadline and Mancini & Lopez were the obvious 2. Manicini was gone after the season. Elias did the right thing and got something for him. Lopez was a sell high situation and you already had his replacement on the staff. 

Im telling you what I believe that Elias will do with the guys that haven’t been promoted. I’m not advocating for anything. I’m giving my opinion based on what Elias has said and his previous actions. He cares more about the long term plan than this season’s wildcard chase. I don’t understand why it’s so hard to understand.

So, now I have it! You are advocating for the promotion of the guys we’ve been discussing. Fine ….admirable. But, if you think Elias give two craps about what you want to happen you are dreaming. 

Yes, you’ve solved the mystery, Scooby Doo. We as fans see the play on the field and feel like our window is already open - we want to see moves made to win now. If you’re happy seeing moves to position Norfolk, Bowie, and Aberdeen win championships, that’s great. I’d rather Baltimore win.

17 minutes ago, oriolefan1035 said:

Yes, you’ve solved the mystery, Scooby Doo. We as fans see the play on the field and feel like our window is already open - we want to see moves made to win now. If you’re happy seeing moves to position Norfolk, Bowie, and Aberdeen win championships, that’s great. I’d rather Baltimore win.

But, that is where you are still off! Elias doesn’t care about minor league championships. He cares about the service clock of the guys you mentioned. He’s not going to start the clock for a wildcard chase or mishandle a guy like Rodriquez. When they traded Mancini everyone thought bring up Stowers was the logical move. He told you it wasn’t when he traded for Phillips. 

Everyone wants the O’s to win! But, not at the expense of the long term plan. It’s fine for some fans to want it all now. It’s shows the commitment of management not to acquiesce to fans demands.

Edited by Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

But, that is where you are still off! Elias doesn’t care about minor league championships. He cares about the service clock of the guys you mentioned. He’s not going to start the clock for a wildcard chase or mishandle a guy like Rodriquez. When they traded Mancini everyone thought bring up Stowers was the logical move. He told you it wasn’t when he traded for Phillips. 

Everyone wants the O’s to win! But, not at the expense of the long term plan. It’s fine for some fans to want it all now. It’s shows the commitment of management not to acquiesce to fans demands.

Ok, well I have a game to watch now as the Orioles go for a sweep and chance to move into a tie for a WC spot. You have some minor league stats to check in on. Go O’s and good day, sir.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Bowie put up a 9 spot in the first inning today :)

The guy has openly questioned my fandom because I’m not lobbying for the call up of the kids. Besides, the rotation is pitching well so I doubt we call up a starter at this point. I don’t think they are cutting Odor or Phillips who we just committed to pay half seasons salary instead of calling up Stowers. And Nevin is a bench player….it would be unproductive to call up Westburg or Henderson to sit the bench.