Adley should be catching Watkins

tinman

Spenser Watkins is a finesse pitcher. He doesn't have the world's most electric stuff. He's a nibbler. He is the type of pitcher who relies on an elite defensive catcher to frame pitches and call a game. If you're a guy like Felix Bautista having the world's best catcher doesn't mean that much. Just aim for the plate and blow em away. I know it's a day game and we don't want to burn him out. But part of me wonders how that meltdown inning would have went if Adley was behind the plate.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And, the “meltdown inning involved three ground ball hits and a ground out RBI.  It’s not like Watkins got torched.   

Maybe he doesn't have as much confidence in Chirinos. A finesse pitcher needs to have confidence that his catcher can get the close calls. 

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• No news here. It’s finally raining! For some reason, these poor dudes and dudettes have to stand and protect the field (from fans throwing things?!?) while it rains 😄
    • Raining moderately now, per people at the stadium.  Maybe this was the cell they were waiting on?  
    • Division titles, playoff series, tons of games. 
    • This was my thought after last season in his scouting profile, "With the Orioles currently stacked with second base and shortstops, they can take it a bit slow and allow him to physically mature in AAA next year if there is not an immediate need. We could see the Orioles giving him the Gunnar Henderson treatment by bringing him up late in August so he's available for a playoff roster, but not giving him enough PAs to lose his rookie status for 2025." In this offseason though, Elias said Holliday had a real chance to make the team and then he went out and had a fairly good spring (though with a lot of whiff). I kind of thought maybe I had underestimated him and knowing that the Orioles have more data than I had, I kinda of came to the assessment that the only reason he was sent back was to game his clock. Then he put up good numbers in AAA and it really looked like that was the reason. Then his absolutely disastrous, almost unprecedented immediate failure at the major league level for a any hitting prospect, not to mention he was supposedly the #1 prospects in all of baseball. Since being rightfully returned to AAA, Holliday has slashed .235/.395/.397/.792 in 86 PAs over 18 games, so not exactly making the Orioles look bad for sending him back.  I think sometimes we all forgot that last season he went through a pretty long spell in Aberdeen where he did hit well at all, so it's not like he never had a bad spell last year despite being promoted aggressively by the Orioles.  So whether Cal or I or anyone thinks he was rushed or not, what his numbers have shown us is that he's not ready. YET! Holliday still hits the ball hard and he's still extremely young. He's going to be just fine and this blip will be just that, a blip in what should be a long career. But for now, I'm fine with him getting more experience in AAA. 
    • Wondering if this is a league wide thing this year. IIRC the Reds series had two games like this. Delayed with no actual rain.
    • Hourly weather forecasts show an 80-ish% thunderstorm chance through the 7' o clock hour.  They may be playing it safe so as not to risk burning the starters? 
  • Popular Contributors