Scott Boras and the O’s

Frobby

Even though Boras’s general position is that reaching free agency will maximize his clients’ earnings, several high profile clients  have extended before FA.  Examples are discussed in the link below from 2021.  It just depends, although it is fair to say the the O’s aren’t going to get over on any of his guys.

https://twinsdaily.com/news-rumors/minnesota-twins/alex-kirilloff-and-the-truth-about-scott-boras-and-contract-extensions-r10429/

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Read this about Boras today in a week-old article on Jackson Holliday in The Athletic:

“Boras has had a limited roster of Orioles in the last few years, but it’s growing. He now represents O’s prospects Holliday, D.L. Hall, Gunnar Henderson, Jordan Westburg and Yusniel Diaz, among others.”

So, get used to seeing Boras around.

Holiday's trade year is about 8 years away.  I will find other things to worry about in the mean time.

Hall -  I am more worried about if he will ever find his control.  And will he turn out to be a reliever?  Extension will not be a worry for a long time if ever.

Henderson - Well yeah.  This could  be a problem.

Westburg - Is probably a stead player but not a star.   Not worried about an extension.

Diaz -  You're kidding, right?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

Boras basically single handedly killed the Nats, as he represents lots of their players .  He never has his clients sign Acuna-like contracts.  So I am sad to see that Diaz is his client, so bye-bye Diaz!  Not worth the heartache.

The players who sign really team-friendly early extensions are almost always Latin American players.  I think it’s because they’ve got a lot of family members counting on them for support.  Obviously that’s a generalization, but I think it’s often the case.  Boras doesn’t seem to get too many of those guys.  Of course, he got Soto, who didn’t bite on the Nats’ offers.  

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Boras has never signed a client up for a long-term deal before they reached two years of service time.

In the last decade eight contracts prior to free agency - the article points to only two examples from his stable of hundreds of clients  - Carlos Gomez and Andrus signed an extension when they more than 1 year out from reaching FA.   

That doesn't give me any confidence that any of our guys are legitimate possibilites to consider a Franco/Acuna/Jimenez/Robert type of extension.

People like to say Boras works for the clients, but that's kind of just what he wants his clients to think. In reality, he's providing extremely convincing evidence and pitching them on not signing anything unless it's essentially full FA value. And he knows exactly how to pitch that so that it seems like a no brainer. Of course he's not forcing their hand, but he's very good at making it seem like any other option would be foolish. 

Gunnar is in no way going to sign an early extension. If we sign him to an extension it will be very close to free agency and it will meet or exceed free agent value for the years we're extending him. It would be a free agent signing in all but name. 

Edited by interloper

2 minutes ago, geschinger said:

In the last decade eight contracts prior to free agency - the article points to only two examples from his stable of hundreds of clients  - Carlos Gomez and Andrus signed an extension when they more than 1 year out from reaching FA.   

That doesn't give me any confidence that any of our guys are legitimate possibilites to consider a Franco/Acuna/Jimenez/Robert type of extension.

I’m ok with them not signing one of those deals.  And the reality is, of the names mentioned, only Henderson or maybe Holliday are ones you would consider anyway.

Point being, there are many examples of Boras clients signing pre and post arb/pre FA deals and it’s foolish to be “scared of him”.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m ok with them not signing one of those deals.  And the reality is, of the names mentioned, only Henderson or maybe Holliday are ones you would consider anyway.

Point being, there are many examples of Boras clients signing pre and post arb/pre FA deals and it’s foolish to be “scared of him”.  

Adley?

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No reason to be scared of Boras, just set expectations accordingly.  If the Orioles wanted to try their hand at the trend of signing one of their young guys to a Wander Franco/Acuna type of deal Adley could be a potential target whereas you know up front to not even bother with one of the Boras clients. 

17 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

Boras basically single handedly killed the Nats, as he represents lots of their players .  He never has his clients sign Acuna-like contracts.  So I am sad to see that Diaz is his client, so bye-bye Diaz!  Not worth the heartache.

The Nats complete inability to build a farm system or develop guys they trade for might have something to do with that too.

If they're not acquired already developed, they suck for the Nats.

3 minutes ago, geschinger said:

No reason to be scared of Boras, just set expectations accordingly.  If the Orioles wanted to try their hand at the trend of signing one of their young guys to a Wander Franco/Acuna type of deal Adley could be a potential target whereas you know up front to not even bother with one of the Boras clients. 

Well you don’t know that.  There’s always a first.  You certainly try if you want to.

You aren’t getting them to sign an Acuna deal because, let’s face it, that was a poor deal for him in the grand scheme of things.

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You aren’t getting them to sign an Acuna deal because, let’s face it, that was a poor deal for him in the grand scheme of things.

Yup.  There's a reason that Acuna type deals are so rare.  The only way that was a good deal for the player is that it's insurance if he gets hurt.  Otherwise, it's an incredibly one-sided deal for the team.

Edited by NCRaven

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Yup.  There's a reason that Acuna type deals are so rare.  The only way that was a good deal for the player is that it's insurance if he gets hurt.  Otherwise, it's an incredibly one-sided deal for the team.

Acuna was/is one sided.  But many of the others are not nearly as much and they are not all that rare anymore.