Why isn’t Stowers here?

ManciniFan

41 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

No doubt he is better than Phillips, but I don't think we want to call him up to be a pinch runner/5th OF. The question is whether he is better than one of our top 9-10 everyday guys. Right now I see McKenna as the 9th guy and I'm not sure Stowers is better. He is probably better than Odor but Vavra seems to have already pushed Odor.

What about a platoon with Hays?

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

No doubt he is better than Phillips, but I don't think we want to call him up to be a pinch runner/5th OF. The question is whether he is better than one of our top 9-10 everyday guys. Right now I see McKenna as the 9th guy and I'm not sure Stowers is better. He is probably better than Odor but Vavra seems to have already pushed Odor.

Of course, you don't bring him up to sit. I thought that went without saying. If Vavra has pushed Odor, then who's the DH since that's a role Vavra's been occupying. I thought I was clear in my original post when I laid out my view of a role for Stowers in which he platoons w/McKenna in a corner outfield spot. Obviously, if Hyde insists on running Odor out there everyday at second, there's no point. There's no room for Stowers to play.

I like Stowers, but the reality is I don’t want to see him until next season. Stowers only comes up this year unless there is an injury, and quite frankly, McKenna and Vavra are more proven options. Our lineup needs OBP and not more K’s. 

We’re not dropping Stowers for Nevin or Odor. They play different positions.  

Gunnar is a game changer, but at this point… you got to dance with the girl you came with. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like Stowers, but the reality is I don’t want to see him until next season. Stowers only comes up this year unless there is an injury, and quite frankly, McKenna and Vavra are more proven options. Our lineup needs OBP and not more K’s. 

Gunnar is a game changer, but at this point… you got to dance with the girl you came with. 

But her sister is here and she's hotter and has a car that doesn't smell like cheetos.

30 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t see a reason why Nevin cannot be sent down for Stowers but I feel like I say that everyday and nothing happens so what do I know.

41 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

Of course, you don't bring him up to sit. I thought that went without saying. If Vavra has pushed Odor, then who's the DH since that's a role Vavra's been occupying. I thought I was clear in my original post when I laid out my view of a role for Stowers in which he platoons w/McKenna in a corner outfield spot. Obviously, if Hyde insists on running Odor out there everyday at second, there's no point. There's no room for Stowers to play.

Then you have to believe he is better than McKenna net of defense vs RHP. That may or may not be the case but either way Phillips is irrelevant. Your scenario makes McKenna essentially a bench player but he is one of our hottest bats at the moment and an excellent fielder. I have no idea how long that continues but I'm not sure it's a slam dunk that Stowers is better. To be sure I thought Stowers would be up by now but I thought we'd have traded Santander and there would be an obvious spot for him to play every day.

The Braves drafted Michael Harris out of high school in the 2019 draft.  He never played above AA and they brought him this year, he immediately delivered, and they just signed him to an 8 year, $72 million extension.  I recognize that the Braves are a pretty aggressive (and really good) organization, but man they make us look like sloths when it comes to call ups and signings.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, mikezpen said:

Batting only .266 and too many strikeouts.. Wait till next year.

Who cares that he is hitting. 266 if his OBP is .359?  He has plate discipline which we are sorely lacking at the ML level.  He's been consistently hovering around a .900 OPS all season.  Find a way to get him in the lineup 4-5 days per week and bring him up, it's time. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Big Mac said:

Who cares that he is hitting. 266 if his OBP is .359?  He has plate discipline which we are sorely lacking at the ML level.  He's been consistently hovering around a .900 OPS all season.  Find a way to get him in the lineup 4-5 days per week and bring him up, it's time. 

Yup.   Platoon him with McKenna.