DL Hall to be optioned to AAA and turned into a reliever for the rest of season?

Gurgi

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was responding to what I though was an incorrect statement.

No one found out anything based off of this one start.

He did pretty much what we thought he would do.

I agree. He pitched as expected. Which was poorly. So why have him on the mound during a playoff hunt if he blows. 

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sorry, I missed the part where anyone predicted a masterpiece.

Got a link?

Do I really need one? People here and on the internet were going crazy for Hall and Stowers to be called up. Could I find some predictions on the internet by fans, I’m confident! Am I going to spend the effort? Nope

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Telling the truth is being a jerk?  Oh well, I can live with that.

Seriously Rob …. Telling the truth about you would be a clear violation of the rules. 

When you give an opinion it’s gospel . When I give mine it requires a scouring of the internet. Give me a break!

***** Disclosure: Note to @Sports GuyI don’t have a link*****

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Seriously Rob …. Telling the truth about you would be a clear violation of the rules. 

When you give an opinion it’s gospel . When I give mine it requires a scouring of the internet. Give me a break!

You post things as if they are facts all the time and you rarely post a link to support the fact you are saying.  That’s different from an opinion.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

You post things as if they are facts all the time and you rarely post a link to support the fact you are saying.  That’s different from an opinion.

Ok ..in addition to my newly added disclosure I will begin my post with I think. Problem solved!

10 hours ago, Gurgi said:

I think Elias wanted to use him for the stretch drive one way or another.  So before getting Hall to buy into relieving he wanted to see if perhaps Hall could help us starting.   Now we have our answer.  No he is not going to help starting.   

I think Elias wanted to fulfill a promise or something along those lines to Hall.  

The walks are an issue.  Obviously there is room for improvement.  But we/the team knew that beforehand as well.  

One start means nothing in the long term but for this year Hall should be relief in Baltimore.  Maybe not high level spots but in the MLB.

13 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I figured they would move him to relief down the stretch anyway rather it be in Norfolk or Baltimore.  My only confusion is why bring him up for one start here and have to option Vespi who has been good in the pen for the most part.  Now we not only had Hall start a game many don’t think he was ready for but also hurt the bullpen for 10 days with having a reliever who wasn’t pitching as good as Vespi was up here.  It will be interesting who they do recall with Hall going back down.   Sulser and Garcia pitched today so they are out.  Baumann had been pitching well til Friday night disaster.  Cano has been terrible since coming over in trade.  

Can't lie, this is the head scratcher part for me. Why option Vespi who can not come back up for 10 days. I'm not sure why Vespi has been on such a yo-yo when he's pitched well overall.

I figured he would be used as an opener or in the Akin role because of his reported innings cap, so I was a bit surprised he got the start and last into the 4th.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Can't lie, this is the head scratcher part for me. Why option Vespi who can not come back up for 10 days. I'm not sure why Vespi has been on such a yo-yo when he's pitched well overall.

I figured he would be used as an opener or in the Akin role because of his reported innings cap, so I was a bit surprised he got the start and last into the 4th.

***** I Think ****

Only lasting into the 4th was based on his results imo.

Everyone has always raved about Hall's stuff, but I wanted to see if the numbers backed it up.  So I was checking DL Hall on Cameron Grove's pitching bot app, which is basically a stuff metric based on pitch qualities... just like Eno Sarris's stuff+

Needless to say Hall graded out remarkably on his stuff in his first start

On the 20-80 scale

75 four-seam!

55 change-up

50 slider

65 weighted

command was terrible (not a surprise) in his small sample of work, but a 65 stuff grade is quite filthy, and stuff stabilizes out pretty quickly.

Essentially his stuff is on par with great lefties like Blake Snell, and a tick better than Carlos Rodon (but they grade out above average to plus on command)!

Just because, deGrom has a 70 stuff grade, and a small sample size 70 command grade so far this year!

http://pitchingapp.pitchingbot.com/

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, nvpacchi said:

Everyone has always raved about Hall's stuff, but I wanted to see if the numbers backed it up.  So I was checking DL Hall on Cameron Grove's pitching bot app, which is basically a stuff metric based on pitch qualities... just like Eno Sarris's stuff+

Needless to say Hall graded out remarkably on his stuff in his first start

On the 20-80 scale

75 four-seam!

55 change-up

50 slider

65 weighted

command was terrible (not a surprise) in his small sample of work, but a 65 stuff grade is quite filthy, and stuff stabilizes out pretty quickly.

Essentially his stuff is on par with great lefties like Blake Snell, and a tick better than Carlos Rodon (but they grade out above average to plus on command)!

Just because, deGrom has a 70 stuff grade, and a small sample size 70 command grade so far this year!

http://pitchingapp.pitchingbot.com/

Pretty sure I saw Eno say he's the top pitcher in Stuff+ right now (with a super small sample size).

Unfortunately got picked apart by weak contact. Didn't go great with the guys he put on base via BB. The stuff is for real though, yikes.

3 minutes ago, nc_stats_nerd said:

Pretty sure I saw Eno say he's the top pitcher in Stuff+ right now (with a super small sample size).

Unfortunately got picked apart by weak contact. Didn't go great with the guys he put on base via BB. The stuff is for real though, yikes.

Nice! awesome that another model confirms the stuff plays.  I always have the hardest time finding Eno's spreadsheet, so I always just default to Cameron's work when I want to look something up.  Hopefully Eno talks about Hall on his podcast at some point this week.