Gambling coming to OPACY?

Sports Guy

12 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Clearly you’re against gambling I think we see your point. 

MY point meanwhile is basically that if everyone else is doing it, the Os have to as well. That’s not always a great argument for something questionable but I think it is here.

Not ‘the Os should monetize something bad’ but ‘something bad has been monetized overall and the Os are stupid if they don’t get their piece of it’

I've resigned myself to every team hooking themselves up to a gambling money IV, and nothing good will come of it. Sure, some folks like Sports Guy will have a good time.  But mostly it's a tax on people with an addiction, that's where the money's made.

It's like the Betsy Brandt quote from the last episode of Better Call Saul on Monday: "You. You helped the two-faced poisonous bastard behind it all.  And for what?  Money. You did it all for money."  There's no positive side to this, it's being able to afford another free agent by preying on Uncle Buck putting $50 on the Twins to beat the Orioles.  And this is the franchise that's beating the $150M Red Sox with a $25M budget.  So even worse, it's not even for the payroll.  This is preying on Uncle Buck so the Angelos boys get a little richer.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Isn't gambling cooler if all the gamblers look like John Candy from Uncle Buck, and there's real risk that some guy with a pinkie ring is going to hit you with a pipe if you don't pay up?

Maybe it would be a good idea to combine your gambling safe space with one of those places where you can get clean needles and antiseptic wipes and stuff. That would probably be popular in Baltimore. Nice service for the community.

Yikes. 

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Curious...has anybody already won an Orioles seasonal Wins over bet?

Congrats to any truehearted who took that risk this year!     May your winnings arrive promptly.

I saw 63.5 preseason.   We're getting close.

I didn't bet it, personally.   I usually don't make those bets because you either have to tie up a big chunk of money for 6 months waiting for the outcome, or if you bet a smaller amount it's like yippee, I wanted 6 months and won $20!    Guess my gambling bankroll isn't as big as some people's.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I've resigned myself to every team hooking themselves up to a gambling money IV, and nothing good will come of it. Sure, some folks like Sports Guy will have a good time.  But mostly it's a tax on people with an addiction, that's where the money's made.

It's like the Betsy Brandt quote from the last episode of Better Call Saul on Monday: "You. You helped the two-faced poisonous bastard behind it all.  And for what?  Money. You did it all for money."  There's no positive side to this, it's being able to afford another free agent by preying on Uncle Buck putting $50 on the Twins to beat the Orioles.  And this is the franchise that's beating the $150M Red Sox with a $25M budget.  So even worse, it's not even for the payroll.  This is preying on Uncle Buck so the Angelos boys get a little richer.

I think you are going a little overboard.  This will be a nice revenue stream for the Os that hopefully they will put back into the team.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think you are going a little overboard.  This will be a nice revenue stream for the Os that hopefully they will put back into the team.

Sure it's a little overboard but you are fooling yourself if you think this is anything but more money in the pocket of ownership.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure it's a little overboard but you are fooling yourself if you think this is anything but more money in the pocket of ownership.

Perhaps…most money does go in the pockets of owners. But hopefully something goes into the team.

I don’t have any issues with this.   I wish they would sell the naming rights too.  

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He still bet on his own team.

That hasn't changed.

I will never understand the support for Rose, he's a reprehensible person.   Why fight for him?

Ahhh, the supposed voice of morality has come into the thread.  Always good for a laugh.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Love this idea.

However, this goes back to John A caring more about “a show” vs the baseball team.

I'm not against someone gambling if that's how they want to squander money. What I don't care for is having an onsite facility at the stadium to do it.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, crowmst3k! said:

Is Pete Rose going to be reinstated with a full apology and given a fast-track to the HOF now?

I posted pretty much the same and some other related thoughts, but ended up deleting my post. But mainly as I'd just had a strong cocktail and thought I may soon be too tipsy to defend my stance adequately! 

Drink (and post). Responsibly. 

Edited by NashLumber