Reminder of what Orioles did in August 2012 to try to win a playoff spot.

Gurgi

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure the plan was for Adley to be so far behind when he eventually got promoted this wouldn't happen.

Elias might double down with Gunnar next season.

Are you thinking of like a Nancy Kerrigan situation? Or just good, old-fashioned ignorance?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

It would be dumb for Gunnar to come up before Tuesday at this point.

They already almost certainly cost themselves one draft pick by not having Adley on the Opening Day roster when he is likely going to finish top 2 in Rookie of the Year this year and get a full year of service time anyway. Might as well position Gunnar to have a chance to finish in the top 2 as well next year and get a draft pick.

Every game counts but at the point, I don’t necessarily disagree with you.  He should already be up though.

Just now, Sanfran327 said:

Are you thinking of like a Nancy Kerrigan situation? Or just good, old-fashioned ignorance?

I'm not sure what you mean?

I'm just saying he might keep Henderson down in the minors even longer than he kept Adley down to 100% guarantee he won't finish in the top of the RoY voting.

He apparently miscalculated with Adley, understandable considering how well the other rookie were playing to that point.

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’m saying the Machado comp has been done to death already

Yeah, but it worked a decade ago when the offense was already good and all we needed was someone to play competent defense at 3B, so doing the same thing when the situation is the inverse of 2012 will automatically work again. Obviously.

Gunnar will immediately hit like an All-Star and definitely not need an adjustment period of a few weeks like an older and more experienced Adley did just a couple of months ago, so the correct choice is to throw away a decent shot at an extra ~2nd/3rd round draft pick. Obviously.

I think Gunnar and Stowers will be promoted when there's less than 45 days less than the season. Probably when Hall comes up too. Isn't the date like the middle of next week? So hopefully only a few more days of the endless posts saying that Elias should call them up. Then we can start the Elias-called-them-up-too-late and the Elias-called-them-up-too-early threads and posts. :)

Just now, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Yeah, but it worked a decade ago when the offense was already good and all we needed was someone to play competent defense at 3B, so doing the same thing when the situation is the inverse of 2012 will automatically work again. Obviously.

Gunnar will immediately hit like an All-Star and definitely not need an adjustment period of a few weeks like an older and more experienced Adley did just a couple of months ago, so the correct choice is to throw away a decent shot at an extra ~2nd/3rd round draft pick. Obviously.

Obviously we know Elias will take the shot for the extra draft pick.

Because that's what we want him to do?

7 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

How much of an adjustment period has Vavra needed?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Obviously we know Elias will take the shot for the extra draft pick.

Because that's what we want him to do?

Gunnar is still bullying pitchers older than him in AAA despite seemingly having nothing left to prove there while the MLB club sits within arm's length of a playoff spot in mid-August, and it fits Elias's MO like a glove.

7 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I think Gunnar and Stowers will be promoted when there's less than 45 days less than the season. Probably when Hall comes up too. Isn't the date like the middle of next week? So hopefully only a few more days of the endless posts saying that Elias should call them up. Then we can start the Elias-called-them-up-too-late and the Elias-called-them-up-too-early threads and posts. :)

I think they are up next week.  I’m not in the camp that believes Gunnar is held back until next year.

I am in the camp that they shouldn’t have worried about the potential of a draft pick and he should have been up a while ago.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I am in the camp that they shouldn’t have worried about the potential of a draft pick and he should have been up a while ago.

You should save that for the near future, Elias-should-have-called-them-up-earlier threads. ;)

By the way, I totally agree with you. 

15 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

As an aside, Orioles twitter has to be one of the dumbest places on the internet.  A couple weeks ago I got into a debate about the Machado call up in 2012 when I noted that he was brought up for his defense.  This Maryland Bro was all like "nah man, they brought him up for his bat, lullllzzz" 

🙄

So then I linked him to an article where it clearly said he was being brought up for his defense because Wilson Betemit and Mark Reynolds weren't great defenders and he couldn't be bothered to read it.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How much of an adjustment period has Vavra needed?

Gunnar could hit the ground running like Vavra or he could scuffle badly for weeks like Adley. It's a total uncertainty, and nothing Elias has done over the last few years indicates to me that he would sacrifice a pretty decent chance at an extra draft pick for a total uncertainty.

10 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Gunnar is still bullying pitchers older than him in AAA despite seemingly having nothing left to prove there while the MLB club sits within arm's length of a playoff spot in mid-August, and it fits Elias's MO like a glove.

He didn't do it with Grayson.

I've asked before, could he have done it with Adley?

Could he have put Adley on the 40 and 26 man rosters and then put him on the IL?  Was that an option?

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not sure what you mean?

I'm just saying he might keep Henderson down in the minors even longer than he kept Adley down to 100% guarantee he won't finish in the top of the RoY voting.

He apparently miscalculated with Adley, understandable considering how well the other rookie were playing to that point.

Did Mike take a bat to Adley’s triceps?