Justin Verlander matchup 8/28/22

Pat Kelly

Os playing with house money today.  Going into this weekend would have have been thrilled with 2 of 3 games.  The Voth Verlander matchup is the worst of the series.  

With the off day Monday I hope that Hyde fully rests Adley (no DH) let him get 2 days off. Also if the game as close late you can always have Adley PH for Chirinos.  

Play Nevin at 1B and and sit Mountcastle, he’s still not hitting and he’s not squaring up Verlander.   Santander needs to be in the lineup as does Hays, Mullins DH’d last night.   Start Stowers and Vavra.  This leaves Adley, Odor, Mountcastle and McKenna on the bench. 

17 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

No, I want Hyde to go for the sweep. We have Monday off. Everyone can rest then. Play the "A" lineup. Have the pen ready to go. It's hardly worked the last two days. Don't give up a single yard, blitz on every play. It's house money, nothing to lose, let's go for it!

Agreed.  DH Adley or better yet let him debut at 1B and get Stowers and Vavra in there.

• Upvote 2

I protest the concept of “house money.”   We need every win we can get if we want to make the playoffs.  The fact that we’ve won this series doesn’t really matter.   

That said, I’ll be shocked if Rutschman catches a day game after a night game.  

Curious to see the choice.    Chirinos and Verlander were teammates for awhile, and I do wonder if "disrespecting" a veteran with an unusual usage pattern for a very shiny new toy would fire him up.     Not that he's going to groove pitches to Chirinos, but I imagine Verlander will come right at him and maybe Chirinos can run into one.

The thing about Mountcastle is that for all his flaws, he does have the raw hitting talent to handle elite stuff like Dylan Cease's better than many of his teammates.     Sure, slop artists can make him look silly, but I think I think Verlander is the kind of opponent you need Mountcastle, not Terrin Vavra, for, and today isn't a good day for the 1B Adley variation sure to happen sometime.

Oakland pitchers on the other hand...whether Gunnar gets here or not, more Mountcastle off days than he is used to could be on deck.

I am still a bigger fan of “lose the battle, win the war.”   Clearly Mountcastle is scuffling and what benefit is 4Ks vs JV?  If Nevin is never going to play - why is he on the team?    The challenge is Chirinos is such a zero at the plate and if Adley DHing  he is able to PH for him without losing the DH.    Like the idea of PHinfo Adley innings 7-9,  he catches the last couple of innings.  But yes agree if he played 1B all of this is much easier. 

Edited by Pat Kelly
Typos

5 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

I am still a bigger fan of “lose the battle, win the war.”   Clearly Mountcastle is scuffling and what benefit is 4Ks vs JV?  If Nevin is never going to play - why is he on the team?    The challenge is Chirinos is such a zero at the plate and if Adley DHing  he is able to PH for him without losing the DH.    Like the idea of PHinfo Adley innings 7-9,  he catches the last couple of innings.  But yes agree if he played 1B all of this is much easier. 

Because you have to have a minimum number of players on the roster.

Nevin is essentially a 3rd catcher bench player without being able to catch! He plays sporadically at 3B (he’s not good at 3B),  as a backup at 1B who is almost never deployed. He cannot hit ML pitching.  A real 3rd catcher who could play 1B would be infinitely more useful as you PH/PR for Chirinos and not lose Adley at DH. 

2 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

Nevin is essentially a 3rd catcher bench player without being able to catch! He plays sporadically at 3B (he’s not good at 3B),  as a backup at 1B who is almost never deployed. He cannot hit ML pitching.  A real 3rd catcher who could play 1B would be infinitely more useful as you PH/PR for Chirinos and not lose Adley at DH. 

Sure?

You asked why he was on the roster so I told you.

They obviously don't think they need to have an actual asset or they'd have one there.

17 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Curious to see the choice.    Chirinos and Verlander were teammates for awhile, and I do wonder if "disrespecting" a veteran with an unusual usage pattern for a very shiny new toy would fire him up.     Not that he's going to groove pitches to Chirinos, but I imagine Verlander will come right at him and maybe Chirinos can run into one.

The thing about Mountcastle is that for all his flaws, he does have the raw hitting talent to handle elite stuff like Dylan Cease's better than many of his teammates.     Sure, slop artists can make him look silly, but I think I think Verlander is the kind of opponent you need Mountcastle, not Terrin Vavra, for, and today isn't a good day for the 1B Adley variation sure to happen sometime.

Oakland pitchers on the other hand...whether Gunnar gets here or not, more Mountcastle off days than he is used to could be on deck.

They were throwing 93 mph fastballs past Mouncastle last night.  I would bet against him today but there’s a reason why I don’t bet.

Probably the biggest concern is that Voth probably goes 5 or 6 best case and the bullpen has looked vulnerable lately with the exclusion of Bautista.   Breaking stuff from our two RHP’s has worked the first two games and that’s Voth’s strong suit.  Hopefully, Verlander is off his game today.