Checking in on the top of the 2022 draft class

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

4.  Termarr Johnson - .428 OPS in 9 FCL games; .160 in 4 low A games.

Termarr is the one that surprises me the most, and granted it's only 40 PAs, so it means nothing but surprised he didn't slap-single the heck out of the FCL. He's also only 18 and I think was on the showcase circuit this summer so the dude is probably exhausted. 

Cade Horton being on this list is the other surprise only because I was and continue to be quite confused about the Cubs decision making process at #7 there. Though I guess plenty of people said (and continue to say) that about us with Cowser. 

4 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

They announced after signing him that he wouldn't pitch again in '22, though I'd wager he'll be in big league ST camp and might be up in '23.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Thanks.  I wasn't assuming he was hurt just that it was interesting from a developmental standpoint.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Thanks.  I wasn't assuming he was hurt just that it was interesting from a developmental standpoint.

I think it’s kind of weird.  It’s not like he pitched a long college season and needs to rest up.  He threw 20 innings in Indy ball.   

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Matt Blood was in Rangers player development for some of the years they had their Pitchers Don't Pitch Year1 strategy in effect in general.

https://www.mlb.com/news/matt-blood-rangers-prospects-at-spring-training

The detail in the story about him coordinating USA Baseball 18U was new to me.

I think Carter Young played on that 18U team.  

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that Johnson and Holliday both got a couple weeks in low-A, last year none of the top high school picks made it out of the complex leagues.

Johnson finished the season with a solid .275/.396/.450 line in 14 games in low-A while Holliday played 12 games at .238/.439/.333. Will be interesting to see whether either or both starts next season at low-A or whether they make the jump to A ball on Opening Day.

• Upvote 2

On 9/15/2022 at 1:44 PM, MurphDogg said:

Interesting that Johnson and Holliday both got a couple weeks in low-A, last year none of the top high school picks made it out of the complex leagues.

Johnson finished the season with a solid .275/.396/.450 line in 14 games in low-A while Holliday played 12 games at .238/.439/.333. Will be interesting to see whether either or both starts next season at low-A or whether they make the jump to A ball on Opening Day.

Are you trying to say that dunking on Johnson's hit tool after his first cup of coffee in pro ball was unwarranted?

I'm happy with Holliday, but certainly don't root against the other guys. I hope Johnson in particular does well. Seems like a good dude.