Delmarva wrap-up

Frobby

The Delmarva Shorebirds finished their season 39-81.   It wasn’t quite as bad in the second half, when they went 28-37; they were 11-44 in the first half.  

It feels like anyone who did well in Delmarva quickly got promoted.   Darrel Hernaiz, Heston Kjerstad, Isaac Bellony, Frederick Benscome, Jed Fabian, Dylan Beavers, Max Wagner.  Noelberth Romero led the team at 104 games played, followed by Luis Valdez (95 games before his promotion), Isaac DeLeon (94 games before his promotion), Mishael Deson (76) and Creed Williams (68).

On the pitching side, Conor Grady led at  95.2 IP, followed by Juan De Los Santos at 79.2, Ryan Long 72.2, Moises Chace 59.2, Edgar Portes 57.0, Shane Davis 55.1 and Deivi Cruz 53.2.  

I can’t say that anyone who spent most of the year at Delmarva and finished the season there impressed me much.  Of course at the end Jackson Holliday was there.  I suspect a few of the younger Latin players may repreat at Delmarva next year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Juan Delosantos is 20 and throws mid 90's.   Probably goes to Aberdeen next year.   Moises Chace throws 93-95 with good mechanics and probably starts next year back at Delmarva.

Last chance to impress next year for Mishael Deson (20 next OD) and Stiven Acevedo (20 next OD).

I hope that Romero (20), DeLeon (20), and Willems (19 next OD) start there next year.   It's possible Crampton and Hodo start there next year but they've been pretty aggressive with the college guys.

Juan Perez (21),  Juan Rojas (19 next OD), Deivy Cruz (19 next OD), Edgar Portes (20) all figure to return.

Add in Sam Basallo and Anderson Delosantos and hopefully next year's team is more interesting in April/May.

And, BTW, it's Jud Fabian.   You must have been thinking of the Beverly Hillbillies when you posted this.

Edited by RZNJ

9 minutes ago, KarlofDelaware said:

The Delmarva team this year had the worst record in the entire franchise history of 26 years.   To avoid this distinction they would have had to won their last game, but alas, the last game was rained out. 

The way the O’s are running their farm system right now, it could be a couple of lean years for Delmarva.  They mostly draft college guys, who start their first full MiL season at Aberdeen.  That means Delmarva is mostly stocked with Latino players, and our pipeline from Latin America isn’t full yet.  Given how bad the FCL O’s were this year (16-39), there’s not a ton of help on the way for 2023.   

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Holliday and Basallo probably won't have to play on "Stars and Scrubs" rosters in the higher minors or Baltimore, but sounds like they may get some of that next year.

Carter Baumler should be strong for Opening Day, I hope.    We're two months past a preliminary shoulder inflammation IL move.

At this point, unfortunately, I think hoping on Baumler can likened to wishing on Hunter Harvey. Good stuff but doesn't count for much if you can't stay on the mound. Certainly not blaming the kid but some guys are just snakebit with injury issues. I'll be happy to see him pitch whenever he returns, but shoulder issues and high school pitchers are rarely a great combo.

The original Delmarva team was an embarrassment to the organization and hopefully was a transition year. This was the first year after he draft was limited to just 20 rounds so the organization didn't have those senior signs that typically can fill out a A-ball team and keep it competitive. Instead, Elias choose to promote guys who were not even good FCL players, including some that did not even belong in pro ball.

They included:
Josué Cruz - tall, lanky Dominican with an awful beer league softball swing and one of the worse defensive players I can remember seeing in pro ball at 1B. 
Moisés Ramírez - I know some of the fanboy reporters down in Sarasota would talk him up, but he had serious contact issues in the FCL and that translates to awful numbers in Low-A.
Michael Mantecón - Org catcher who couldn't hit water falling out of a boat.

But as bad ass some of the hitters were, it was was horrid pitchers they sent up there that were the worse.

Yeancarlos Lleras - Nothing highlights the pitching "talent" like this young man who couldn't get one of the 8 batters he faced, walking 7 and once throwing 22 straight balls. He was rightfully released, but how was he even on the team?

The Orioles sent 13 pitchers to the Shorebirds that put up a more that a 2.00 WHIP. None of these guys who were at the FCL the year before were even good there, but they had no pitching to send there because they didn't draft many. 

Honestly, it as unfair to the fans that went to the stadium that the organization would have sent so many players who were not A-ball players or pitchers. 

Even some of the guys who did have some slivers of talent did poorly there, probably because they would be down like 7-0 in the second inning with a guy coming in that should not even be pitching in the FCL.

Unfortunately, while there are some talented arms like Juan Nunez, Juan Rojas and Raul Rangel (if healthy) and you have to imagine Deivy Cruz, Carter Baumler (if healthy), Moisés Chace and  Yaqui Rivera will return, there's not a ton of other guys that look ready as the FCL pitchers put up an embarrassing 6.71 ERA, even worse than the Shorebirds 6.42. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/13/2022 at 1:52 PM, CharmCityHokie said:

At this point, unfortunately, I think hoping on Baumler can likened to wishing on Hunter Harvey. 

Let's hope not. They gave Harvey several years, and he's finally been decent this year.

Baumler is apparently really impressive. If he's healthy, I think he's a gem. Just a huge IF at this point.

On 9/13/2022 at 4:25 PM, Tony-OH said:

Unfortunately...there's not a ton of other guys that look ready as the FCL pitchers put up an embarrassing 6.71 ERA, even worse than the Shorebirds 6.42. 

A lot of our recent draftees should be there though, right? That could result in a good staff until some are promoted.

10 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Let's hope not. They gave Harvey several years, and he's finally been decent this year.

Baumler is apparently really impressive. If he's healthy, I think he's a gem. Just a huge IF at this point.

A lot of our recent draftees should be there though, right? That could result in a good staff until some are promoted.

Maybe, but Elias has bee pushing his college draftees really quickly to High-A ball. I imagine some might begin in Delmarva, but this year it was clear that he did not care about putting a competitive ball club in the field at the FCL or A-ball levels until his draft when he the college guys helped Delmarva in the second half.

Here’s a good interview of Sam Jellinek, Delmarva’s play-by-play announcer, where he gives comments on virtually every significant player who spent time in Delmarva this year.  He expects a number of guys to repeat that level and do better their second go-round.  Let’s hope so.  

It’s a long interview, but worth the listen. 

• Thanks 1