Power ranking of 2014 Eduardo Rodriguez in current O's list

Just Regular

Him coming to town reminded me his Prospect Self might be an interesting measuring stick where he'd fall among our current crop.

Eduardo for Andrew Miller is probably the best single prospect we traded for "Current Wins" at least since I found OH back around the time of the Tejada signing (Hader developed better, but wasn't high minors accomplished at the time of the Norris trade).

Leveraging his amassed depth, Elias at some point this offseason or next trade deadline is likely to trade similar or even better prospects.

Recapping 4.7.1993 Eduardo Rodriguez, traded in July 2014 at about 21.25 years of age:

-he was a very rare international prospect who was any good for the Orioles anytime this century.

-his Age 20 2013 was 14 starts of 2.85 ERA for Frederick, and 11 starts of 4.22 ERA for Bowie as a very young AA starting pitcher.

-his Age 21 2014 was back at Bowie, 16 starts of 4.79 ERA before the trade.     Boston "fixed" him immediately, as with Red Sox AA he threw 6 starts of 0.96 ERA.    He was great for them just like Miller was for us.     The 2014-2015 offseason, shops like BP/MLB/ESPN had him in the 40-70 range of league wide Top 100's.

https://www.milb.com/player/eduardo-rodriguez-593958

Is that about what DL Hall is now?     More than Cade Povich, Drew Rom or anyone like that.

I'd think the way to do this is by comparing his FV to the FV of those we have now.

Was he a 45? 50? I'd doubt he was a 55.

Fangraphs had him as their #36 prospect. That's probably as high as he was rated and would put him roughly 4th in the current O's list. MLB.com had him 68th, which would put him between 5 and 7, probably, depending on how the end of this year shakes out.

He was a really good prospect though. Significantly better than Povich (at this point), IMO.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

At the time he was traded I'd say there was more of a Cade Povich vibe than a D.L. Hall vibe. Of course, as you say, his career took off as soon as he left.

He was what, our no. 5 prospect going into that season?   It was a relatively weak system, and he’d lost a little shine, but I’d still put him well above Povich.  BA, BP and MLB.com all had him in the top 60-70 range going into 2014.   Nobody has suggested that Povich is a top 100 candidate. 

Hall is somewhat similar in quality to EdRod, but higher ceiling, lower floor. 

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that if Detriot had picked up Miller the O's never would have made it to KC.

Highly, highly speculative.  First game we won 12-3 and led the game from the second inning on.  Third game we won 2-1 and never trailed, scoring two in the sixth.  Really only the second game is one where Miller might have made a difference for the Tigers, assuming he’d been used in the right spot.  

And in any event, for me the difference between being swept in the ALCS vs. losing in the ALDS would have been very minimal.   Either way, we won the AL East, the playoffs ended in disappointment and we didn’t make the World Series.   Even knowing how well Miller did for us, it wasn’t worth losing 6+ years of Rodriguez IMO.    

But hey, let’s rehash a subject we’ve discussed 100 times before.   

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, oldfan said:

Since we didn't score against the Royals maybe a bat would have been a smarter move. As I recall the bullpen wasn't the problem.

Didn't help that in the two months between the trade deadline and the postseason Machado suffered a season ending injury and Davis was suspended for the year. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Highly, highly speculative.  First game we won 12-3 and led the game from the second inning on.  Third game we won 2-1 and never trailed, scoring two in the sixth.  Really only the second game is one where Miller might have made a difference for the Tigers, assuming he’d been used in the right spot.  

And in any event, for me the difference between being swept in the ALCS vs. losing in the ALDS would have been very minimal.   Either way, we won the AL East, the playoffs ended in disappointment and we didn’t make the World Series.   Even knowing how well Miller did for us, it wasn’t worth losing 6+ years of Rodriguez IMO.    

But hey, let’s rehash a subject we’ve discussed 100 times before.   

He pitched for the O's in game 3, went 1 2/3 scoreless.