Walltimore changing again in the future?

Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

adjustable walls, when the home team is up, the wall is 6ft tall and 30 ft closer to home plate.

away team is up, the wall is 18ft tall and 400 ft from home plate lol

I think it was Bill Veeck who reconfigured his park based on which opponent was coming in.  The Yanks got longer dimensions.  The League made that illegal real quick.

There's a story (probably from Veeck As In Wreck) that he also mounted a 20' or 30' roll-up screen in RF for the minor league Milwaukee Brewers.  Rolled it down when the Brewers were up, fully deployed in between innings when the opponent was coming up.  He says the league made it illegal the next day. Problem is that there's no evidence from contemporary papers that this ever happened.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

adjustable walls, when the home team is up, the wall is 6ft tall and 30 ft closer to home plate.

away team is up, the wall is 18ft tall and 400 ft from home plate lol

I nominate you to be on the O's wall study committee. 

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think it was Bill Veeck who reconfigured his park based on which opponent was coming in.  The Yanks got longer dimensions.  The League made that illegal real quick.

There's a story (probably from Veeck As In Wreck) that he also mounted a 20' or 30' roll-up screen in RF for the minor league Milwaukee Brewers.  Rolled it down when the Brewers were up, fully deployed in between innings when the opponent was coming up.  He says the league made it illegal the next day. Problem is that there's no evidence from contemporary papers that this ever happened.

Veeck strikes me as a very reliable source.  😉

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Reminds me of when an NFL team got caught opening and closing certain garage doors at the stadium to make the draft/ wind change for field goals. 

Didn't go over too big once they got caught. 

I bet they do 2/3 things:

1. Move LF in slightly with a slightly lower wall (necessary if moved in). I think it was slightly too extreme this year.

2. Smooth the bullpen angle and/or move the opposition bullpen into the CF grass under the batter's eye. Keep the park beautiful. Get rid of that eyesore.

3. Move RF back a little, including the flag court and the grounds crew bullpen or whatever they call it. Lowest probability, but would help pitchers from those cheapies to right and right center.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

1. Move LF in slightly with a slightly lower wall (necessary if moved in). I think it was slightly too extreme this year.

2. Smooth the bullpen angle and/or move the opposition bullpen into the CF grass under the batter's eye. Keep the park beautiful. Get rid of that eyesore.

3. Move RF back a little, including the flag court and the grounds crew bullpen or whatever they call it. Lowest probability, but would help pitchers from those cheapies to right and right center.

You can’t have that motion in CF in the view of the batter.

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I don't think they're going to mess with RF, especially now with Rutschman (who, in a small sample size, appears to be better from the left side) and Gunnar Henderson.  And if they keep Santander, too.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

what started me off on the moving walls joke, was a tv commercial, where the NBA rules changes were many, and the players had jetson jet packs to pay, and the basket was a moving target 25 feet off the ground.

"Grandpa Shaq, tell us how basketball used to be."

• Haha 2