What did we learn from the past week's wild card round results?

2001OriolesFan

16 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

There were three such teams (101 wins) in the NL anyway, so one was going to the WC even under your described scenario.

Its fine the way it is.  Don't add teams, and gotta win your division to get a bye.  Keeps winning the division as an important thing (even though its not the MOST important thing), which it should be in a 162 game season.

Too many rounds .. World Series in November is not right.  I would go back to division winners, no wild card.  Best record division winner gets bye and two other division winners play 3/5.  Then Championship Series would also be 3/5,  then World Series 4/7 

In fact, returning to 2 divisions pre 1994 would be a good idea imho

If another team had been allowed in, the Os would have been in playoffs in 76,77,80 (won 100 games and no playoff spot) , 82.

16 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Too many rounds .. World Series in November is not right.  I would go back to division winners, no wild card.  Best record division winner gets bye and two other division winners play 3/5.  Then Championship Series would also be 3/5,  then World Series 4/7 

If another team had been allowed in, the Os would have been in playoffs in 76,77,80 (won 100 games and no playoff spot) , 82.

I agree that the Series in November is absurd for the Summer Game, but I'd rather they shorten the regular season back to 154 or even a little less rather than the playoffs. I initially thought the postseason was too much too, but seeing how it revs up passionate fan support in a wider network of cities I'm all for it now. It's also an intense brand of baseball that regularly generates unlikely heroes. Let the teams undergo their endurance tests in the playoffs, incl. the traditional extra-innings format, rather than often meaningless stretches of the regular season. The playoffs are an intense test of the managers and roster designers too.

Edited by LA2

16 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Not right says who?  Its a few days into November, is that really so different as ending on 10/30?

7 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I agree that the Series in November is absurd for the Summer Game, but I'd rather they shorten the regular season back to 154 or even a little less rather than the playoffs. I initially thought the postseason was too much too, but seeing how it revs up passionate fan support in a wider network of cities I'm all for it now. It's also an intense brand of baseball that regularly generates unlikely heroes. Let the teams run their duration tests in the playoffs, incl. the traditional extra-innings format, rather than often meaningless stretches of the regular season. The playoffs are an ntense test of the managers and roster designers too.

I would def support lowering to 154 but it will never happen so its pointless to speculate on it.  Definitely agree that the expanded playoffs keeps fan bases engaged and that's a key point.

19 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Not right says who?  Its a few days into November, is that really so different as ending on 10/30?

In a perfect world, the postseason would be over about now.  As to this year, let’s remember that the season ended five days later than originally intended, due to the work stoppage.   

30 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I agree that the Series in November is absurd for the Summer Game, but I'd rather they shorten the regular season back to 154 or even a little less rather than the playoffs. I initially thought the postseason was too much too, but seeing how it revs up passionate fan support in a wider network of cities I'm all for it now. It's also an intense brand of baseball that regularly generates unlikely heroes. Let the teams undergo their endurance tests in the playoffs, incl. the traditional extra-innings format, rather than often meaningless stretches of the regular season. The playoffs are an intense test of the managers and roster designers too.

I have zero issues with moving the regular season back to 152 or even less games and keeping the playoffs. Whatever it takes to get baseball out of November.

Back to the original post for a second. I have learned, or at least been reminded, how lucky we are to have Big Ben or Palmer and Kevin Brown on most of our telecasts -- even if they're not at the level of the brilliant Rangers announcers 😉. Most of the national announcers I've heard in the post-season have provided less baseball insight, have done less of their own preparation, and seem to have been paying less attention to the game than our A Team(s). I hear Ron Darling a lot on Mets broadcasts, and I think he's usually very good, but his attention seemed elsewhere during the most recent NYY-Guards game. 

51 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I would def support lowering to 154 but it will never happen so its pointless to speculate on it.  Definitely agree that the expanded playoffs keeps fan bases engaged and that's a key point.

Just for me, I am less enamored with the playoff design and mentality in all sports .. baseball’s lengthy season and its historical connection is its unique niche in my view.. but I do agree, the dollars will keep driving more and more playoff expansion as it does in other sports. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

In a perfect world, the postseason would be over about now.  As to this year, let’s remember that the season ended five days later than originally intended, due to the work stoppage.   

Exactly. The length of the post season is not an issue. 

8 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Back to the original post for a second. I have learned, or at least been reminded, how lucky we are to have Big Ben or Palmer and Kevin Brown on most of our telecasts -- even if they're not at the level of the brilliant Rangers announcers 😉. Most of the national announcers I've heard in the post-season have provided less baseball insight, have done less of their own preparation, and seem to have been paying less attention to the game than our A Team(s). I hear Ron Darling a lot on Mets broadcasts, and I think he's usually very good, but his attention seemed elsewhere during the most recent NYY-Guards game. 

I was actually more impressed with Bob Costas than I was expecting. I had previously associated Costas mainly with the Olympics, but he seems very knowledgeable about baseball. Costas will be doing the pre- & post-game shows for the NY/Hou series, and the game coverage will be handled by Brian Anderson, Ron Darling & Jeff Francoeur. I've always enjoyed listening to Brian Anderson, so I'm looking forward to the ALCS broadcasts.

On 10/17/2022 at 4:34 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Teams that peak at this time of year or are hot heading into the playoffs probably stand a better chance.

And playoff baseball is the best.

The Phillies and Padres had mediocre Septembers. Just lucky for them the Brewers were worse and they both backed into the playoffs.