2023 Coaching Staff Announced

justD

When they had none of them at the Members Day event, I wondered if changes were afoot.  

The Cody Asche "Offensive Strategy Coach" is the only change I see. 

Asche (ASH-ee), 32, has been promoted to the Major League staff after serving as Upper-Level Hitting Coordinator in 2022, his first season in the Orioles organization. He began his professional coaching career in 2021 as the hitting coach for the Clearwater Threshers, the Low-A affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies. Asche’s Major League playing career spanned parts of five seasons with the Phillies (2013-16) and Chicago White Sox (2017). He was originally selected by the Phillies in the fourth round of the 2011 First-Year Player Draft. A native of St. Charles, Mo., Asche attended the University of Nebraska and Fort Zumwalt West High School in O’Fallon, Mo.

Orioles article

Coaching Staff 2023.jpg

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Looking forward to figuring out what an "Offensive Strategy Coach" does.

Play chess with Ryan Klimek in game?    I guess Klimek didn't rate a picture, hope that doesn't mean he's gone after his help with last year's unexpectedly good pitching results, whatever the heck a "Pitching Strategy" coach does.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Looking forward to figuring out what an "Offensive Strategy Coach" does.

My guess is they work on how to attack that night’s pitcher, as opposed to working on swing mechanics and more general stuff.  But that’s a guess.  

It seems crazy to me that the coaching staff has enough members to field a soccer match.

• Isn't the bench coach a relatively new role, like last 25 years or so? I remember when it was just Manager, Pitching, Hitting, 1B, 3B, Bullpen
  • Why do we need two each for hitting and pitching?
  • And isn't the manager in charge of offensive strategy?

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

It seems crazy to me that the coaching staff has enough members to field a soccer match.

• Isn't the bench coach a relatively new role, like last 25 years or so? I remember when it was just Manager, Pitching, Hitting, 1B, 3B, Bullpen
  • Why do we need two each for hitting and pitching?
  • And isn't the manager in charge of offensive strategy?

Something I heard this year I liked was, "The player is his own primary coach".    Everyone else is supporting cast.

Some of the meta-game is getting the stuff Sig and the team think up on to the field.    Ryan Mountcastle and Anthony Santander might have different enough communication styles its beneficial for them to have options who to talk to about how not to swing themselves out of the league in the next 24 months.      Spenser Watkins and Felix Bautista probably don't have much in common in their out-getting methods.    If these end of the roster coaches making like $125k - why not get one for every player?

Whether Elias spends $5mm or $50mm on MLB payroll the next few months, he's going to give quotes in Spring praising ownership's financial commitment to the Club.    I honestly couldn't guess if Sig/Blood's non-player staff budget is in 6, 7 or 8 figures.    Andrew Friedman's is I bet 8, easy.

Ye olde MASN intro with the gaggle.    Interesting tidbit that dugout operations had some coordination from MLB down to A-ball, so any given Bat may have some practice at getting whatever nugget in 10-20 seconds he can get before his next time up.    I'd guess he was embellishing some, but towards end he said when he was a new guy trying to stay afloat 6-8 years ago, the Phillies didn't give him much more on Jose Fernandez or Kimbrel than "he throws hard..."     Jordan Westburg will probably have a bit more than that on Chris Sale if he's the Opening Day opponent March 30th.

• Thanks 1

First of all, this guy has great facial expressions.  I could watch this video with the sound off and be highly entertained.   

I still don’t know exactly what he’s going to do, but it seems my initial impression that he’s focused a bit on the other teams’ pitchers is at least partially correct.  And, it seems he’s tasked with being a liaison between the front office and the hitting coaches with respect to the information the front office provides.  

I love the fact that the O’s are hiring a lot of young, hungry people who really seem passionate about what they do.   

Edited by Frobby

So relieved that as he continued talking, the word "like" was sprinkled in there a bit less frequently than when he first began.  That was, like, really like a 13-year-old would, you know, tell you what they were, like, wanting to say.  And annoying as hell. 

On 11/9/2022 at 9:45 AM, Just Regular said:

Ryan Mountcastle and Anthony Santander might have different enough communication styles its beneficial for them to have options who to talk to about how not to swing themselves out of the league in the next 24 months. 

That was one thing I got from the Asche interview - and maybe I misunderstood - was they provide different scouting reports to each player based on what they individually need.  Did I hear that wrong?

2 hours ago, justD said:

That was one thing I got from the Asche interview - and maybe I misunderstood - was they provide different scouting reports to each player based on what they individually need.  Did I hear that wrong?

That’s what he said. 

• Upvote 1