Elias sounds like he is shooting high

wildcard

Pretty clear that Elias will consider trading some prospects:

The limited conversations with other executives this week confirmed the high opinion of some prospects who could be blocked or find it more difficult to fit onto the roster. Elias noted on Oct. 5 that he might have to part with a few to land a starting pitcher.

“We’ve already expressed some interest in other teams’ major league players, and have gotten some names back from our organization,” Elias said yesterday.

“I think one thing that’s really encouraging and not surprising is everybody likes looking at our farm system and it makes for a lot of possibilities, and that’s great. Maybe the fact that there’s more depth with our farm system, more top-end talent, or just easier to work with, perhaps that makes us a more favorable trade partner. So, we’ll just be doing that, we’ll be comparing it against our free agent options, and we’ll see where this goes.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/digging-into-the-gm-meetings-and-other-business-on-elias-plate

From “Lift off” to…

And also, I think that we need to be mindful that we’re not going to go from zero miles an hour to 60 miles an hour in one offseason. We’ve got to build the team and build the payroll in a methodical and strategic fashion, but I’m very encouraged and hopeful and optimistic that we’re going to make some significant steps forward in that regard in this offseason, and I hope that it will add to our playoff chances and increase our chances of making the playoffs in this difficult division.”

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

From “Lift off” to…

And also, I think that we need to be mindful that we’re not going to go from zero miles an hour to 60 miles an hour in one offseason. We’ve got to build the team and build the payroll in a methodical and strategic fashion, but I’m very encouraged and hopeful and optimistic that we’re going to make some significant steps forward in that regard in this offseason, and I hope that it will add to our playoff chances and increase our chances of making the playoffs in this difficult division.”

If you try and lift off and don't go full throttle you crash.

Just sayin'.

Sounds like he's trying to manage expectations after ramping them up last week.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you try and lift off and don't go full throttle you crash.

Just sayin'.

Sounds like he's trying to manage expectations after ramping them up last week.

All I hear him saying is we aren’t going to go to our maximum possible payroll in one offseason.   That’s hardly surprising.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I have a really, really, REALLY hard time believing that the Braves would seriously entertain trading a 25 year old with a .277/.370/.517 career line in 2,300 PAs who has 4 free agent years bought out at a well below market value $17 million, but if they are actually shopping him, I am making everyone in the organization available except for Adley, Gunnar, Grayson, and maybe Holliday. 

Acuna is going to cost Grayson+

• Upvote 1

From the Baltimore Sun :

Beyond saying “significant investments” are coming, Elias has been mum on how much of a rise in payroll should be expected; notifying players’ agents and opposing teams of a self-established cap would do little good for the Orioles’ negotiating position. But increasing the Orioles’ 2022 payroll by 50% would have taken it from 29th in the league, according to Spotrac, to 27th. Doubling it would have still left it in the bottom 10. Add $100 million, and it still would have been below league average.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, orioles119 said:

Acuna is going to cost Grayson+

The Braves would certainly be well within their rights to ask for a package including GrayRod for Acuna, as we would also be in saying no to that. I'd counteroffer a starting point of Holliday, Cowser, and Hall and see if that keeps them on the phone. If not, que sera sera.

I don't actually believe they are shopping him though, regardless of Twitter scuttlebutt, so it's mostly a moot point anyway.

33 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

The Braves would certainly be well within their rights to ask for a package including GrayRod for Acuna, as we would also be in saying no to that. I'd counteroffer a starting point of Holliday, Cowser, and Hall and see if that keeps them on the phone. If not, que sera sera.

I don't actually believe they are shopping him though, regardless of Twitter scuttlebutt, so it's mostly a moot point anyway.

Why would we say no to that?

40 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I would trade Grayson for Holliday, Cowser and Hall.