Rutschman named ROY finalist

Frobby

As was said, this is the worst possible situation for the Orioles.  Yeah, good for Adley, but I care more about the team than I do the individual.  I know others differ.  In hindsight we should have handled him differently in some capacity, but I that's water under the bridge now.  But it sucks we didn't get the benefit of having a top rookie in the new CBA yet are suffering some of the penalties.  It is what it is at this point, but I wonder if this will cause the Os to treat other highly anticipated players differently.

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

As was said, this is the worst possible situation for the Orioles.  Yeah, good for Adley, but I care more about the team than I do the individual.  I know others differ.  In hindsight we should have handled him differently in some capacity, but I that's water under the bridge now.  But it sucks we didn't get the benefit of having a top rookie in the new CBA yet are suffering some of the penalties.  It is what it is at this point, but I wonder if this will cause the Os to treat other highly anticipated players differently.

I think it already has.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it already has.

Perhaps, but until tonight we didn't know for sure the impact it was going to have.  If our goal was to gain SOMETHING from Adley (either extra pick or extra year) then the option was either to 1) bring him up earlier, hopefully gaining the pick then or 2) keep him down longer with 'due to the injury' being the excuse so we wouldn't put up the kind of numbers to get him into the top of the ROY voting, thus gaining the extra year.  Most of us would have rather seen #1 being the option, but it's possible that management goes with #2 in a similar situation in the future now.  Time will tell. 

This is all about a draft pick.   Whether he came up at the end of last year or somehow didn’t get injured and started the season from Day1, or what actually happened the end result is the same.  He would still be a FA at the end of the 2027 season.

We don’t get a pick.  Oh well.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Pickles said:

It is what it is.  You can't foresee the CBA change.  You can't foresee the injury.

However, it sure makes me as the Orioles more interested in trying to find an extension that works for both parties.

I'd counter that doing things like anticipating CBA changes is part of his job.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Eh.  It would be nice if he were clairvoyant.  

Yea, it isn't as if he had sources with teams, players and agents.

Not like he had input in the actual negotiation.

Totally crazy to think he might have been able to look ahead and contemplate what a final deal might look like.

I know I was shocked to hear that players were unhappy with service time manipulation.  I thought they liked the extra attention.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Totally crazy to think he might have been able to look ahead and contemplate what a final deal might look like.

I know I was shocked to hear that players were unhappy with service time manipulation.  I thought they liked the extra attention.

And as RZNJ has pointed out, it doesn't really matter at all.  If they'd brought him up in 2021 he'd be a FA after 27; instead they brought him up in 22 and he's a FA after 27.

Elias didn't manage to swipe a pick, and a lot of that is on Adley's injury in ST.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The MLBPA plays its own service manipulation game.  Ownership does it and MLBPA does it.  Nature of collective bargaining.  
It is definitely a loss for the Orioles.  If he had been able to play earlier, maybe we get the wildcard.  But he wasn’t, we didn’t .. so we move on. 

Team is penalized (in the system) by Adley being not quite good enough in counting stats. Because of a spring training injury. Should have been awarded a lower pick. Create a between 2nd and 3rd round slot or something. This, guaranteed, will be addressed in the next round of CBAs

An extension means it's moot in terms of service time which is what we all want anyways. But, like, coming in first means positive for both. Coming in third is like aww shucks for both sides (or a "meh" status quo, same as it ever was). Coming in second means team is "penalized" only and player is rewarded. It's kinda messed up.

Edited by oh-wee-ohs
  • Upvote 1