40-Man Additions for Rule 5 Deadline

Aristotelian

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Deadline to add players to the 40 Man Roster for protection from the Rule 5 draft is tomorrow, 6:00 pm. Hope it's OK to post in the Orioles board since the protected players will be on the 40 Man and are almost certain to see at least some time in the Majors. With all the free agents now declared the 40 Man is starting to come into view. 

The 40 Man Roster as it currently stands has six open spots: https://www.mlb.com/orioles/roster/40-man

Some players who could be DFA to make additional room: P Gillaspie, P Vallimont, OF Cameron, IF Tyler Nevin, C Kolozvary, P Krehbiel. That would be 7 additional spots, or potentially as many as 13. 

MLB Top 30 players almost certain to be protected: https://www.mlb.com/news/rule-5-draft-prospects-protected-on-40-man-rosters

Grayson  Rodriguez #4

Seth Johnson #10

Joey Ortiz #17

Drew Rom #19

Additional Rule 5 eligible prospects:

Noah Denoyer - Had a great year primarily at AA. Wasn't great in the AFL but made the Fall Stars team. Appears ready to start in AAA and pitch in MLB if he progresses. Great resume, we have room. Protect.

Maverick Handley - Excellent reputation for defense, has some pop in the bat through AA. Don't want to risk losing him. Protect

Shayne Fontana. Progressed from A+ to AAA in '22, highlighted by .898 OPS at Bowie. Had some injuries and didn't hit in a very small sample at Norfolk (played CF though). Could he be more valuable to keep around than Daz Cameron? Bubble

Ignacio Feliz - Could be another Felix Bautista clone (13 K/9) but 5+ BB/9 and hasn't hit AA yet. I think someone said he may be a minor league FA, so might be N/A. Bubble.

Kyle Brnovich. 11.1 K/9 vs 2.1 BB/9 in AA in '21. Had TJ in May '22.  Could be an interesting Tyler Wells type. Bubble

Easton Lucas. 4.76 ERA at Bowie but 10.3 K/9. Sent to AFL, perhaps for a last look and pitched decently with 11.5 K/9. Bubble.

Zach Peek - Advanced to AA. Decent ERA but K/9 dropped and then got shut down for TJ surgery. Some Tyler Wells risk. Don't Protect.

Cameron Bishop - Advanced to AA in 2021. Pitched 17 innings in AA and cup of AAA coffee last year before shut down in June (anyone know the nature of the injury?). Could be solid but probably not better than anyone in our current bullpen. I could maybe see keeping him over Gillaspie but it's close. Don't Protect.

Connor Gillispie - Repeated A+. Decent peripherals but nothing dominant. Again, close call vs Gillaspie. Hopefully there will be only one Gillaspie/Gillispie left standing if only to reduce confusion. Don't Protect

Robert Neustrom. Going into '22 some thought he had a good chance to make the O's after advancing to AAA and putting up combined 16 HR in '21. He hit 15 HR but only .231/.704 in '22. Some team may want to take a chance on his power but doesn't seem to fit with the O's. Don't Protect.  

Adam Hall and Cadyn Grenier. These guys were decent prospects at one time. Could perhaps be selected as utility guys but don't have a future with the Orioles with so many infielders ahead of them. Don't Protect

Garrett Stallings. Repeated AA. Mostly solid except for an absolutely disastrous stretch in June. Could have been tipping pitches or needed to figure something out. Still, a longshot to be selected. Don't Protect

I'm guessing we keep Denoyer and Handley. That would max out our six open spots.

Of the remaining guys, Feliz and Fontana may have the most upside. I'd be inclined to keep them and lose Cameron and a pitcher (although I'm not sure Feliz is eligible). We have a bunch of reliever types who you'd like to keep but could also be replaced by guys on the waiver wire. Any other predictions?

Great post.  I see 6 though.  Who is number 7?

Thanks,  Good post.

I think Denoyer and Handley are protected.

I don't think Gillaspie and Krehbiel are in danger of being dropped at this point.

I think Elias will drop two of Vallimont, Cameron, or Nevin to leave room for Rule 5 pick(s).

Edited by wildcard

Its fun to think about Luke today tomorrow - he has his three paragraphs ready for the Rule V draft preference list on like 40 guys (10 Rays, 10 Guardians, and 0.7 each for the other 27 Clubs) except these 48 hours he's on like a Slack chat with Sig, Eve, etc. trying to puzzle out why the Rays are asking for precisely so-and-so from the complex leagues.     Assuming he's still doing the gig here.

Go Orioles!

Is the 30 Club hive mind flat enough stuff like this deadline classic can't happen anymore?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Other than Denoyer and Handley, the ones that interest me are Feliz, Brnovich and Peek.  Two of those are recovering from TJ so perhaps they aren’t a big risk to get taken.  Feliz misses a lot of bats, though he’s inconsistent.  

I think somebody on a long rehab like that might be more attractive as a Rule 5 pick, as they can on the DL instead of the active roster.

20 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I think somebody on a long rehab like that might be more attractive as a Rule 5 pick, as they can on the DL instead of the active roster.

Brnovich's TJ was in May, Peek's was in August. Brnovich could actually pitch this year. Not sure if that works for or against his chances of being selected.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Brnovich's TJ was in May, Peek's was in August. Brnovich could actually pitch this year. Not sure if that works for or against his chances of being selected.

More broadly, does anyone know the roster requirements for Rule V selections? I thought they had to be active for a certain number of days. I'm not sure how the new CBA affects that.

27 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

You could send him to the MiLs for 40? 60? day rehab and end up only having them on the roster for like 6 weeks.  I think you would then be required to have him on the 25 for a certain number of days in 2024, but I could see some teams going that route.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Other than Denoyer and Handley, the ones that interest me are Feliz, Brnovich and Peek.  Two of those are recovering from TJ so perhaps they aren’t a big risk to get taken.  Feliz misses a lot of bats, though he’s inconsistent.  

The question is do you think any team would take them and keep them on the major league roster for a year?

RZNJ said he would eat his hat if Feliz was protected.  So I am rooting for Feliz even though I think RZ us normally right about these picks.