40-Man Additions for Rule 5 Deadline

Aristotelian

At least I don't have to eat my hat.   4 of 5 although I wasn't full committed to them protecting Rom.   Denoyer isn't surprising but I didn't think they'd protect him because RH reliever with mid 90's stuff is a pretty common reliever profile these days.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

No surprises. Biggest commission may be Handley who a lot of posters like to be Adley's backup as soon as next year. Hopefully he is not selected.

I'd be surprised if someone took a rule 5 guy as a backup catcher.  Very few carry 3 catchers, and it really constrains flexibility if you can't count on your backup.

18 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

No surprises. Biggest commission may be Handley who a lot of posters like to be Adley's backup as soon as next year. Hopefully he is not selected.

2022 Maverick Handley:

.250/.356/.516 home.

.222/.348/.326 away. 

I think you'll find a lot of splits like this among Bowie prospects. Probably the right call leaving him unprotected. Bowie's hitter's park can inflate a fan's opinion of a prospect's status. But yeah, hopefully he's not selected as I'd assume he's in line to get the majority of Norfolk's at-bats from the C position. 

12 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

2022 Maverick Handley:

.250/.356/.516 home.

.222/.348/.326 away. 

I think you'll find a lot of splits like this among Bowie prospects. Probably the right call leaving him unprotected. Bowie's hitter's park can inflate a fan's opinion of a prospect's status. But yeah, hopefully he's not selected as I'd assume he's in line to get the majority of Norfolk's at-bats from the C position. 

Based on a lot of what I've heard, Handley was considered the best defensive catcher in the entire organization.  I think that was what a lot of people were basing the back-up idea on and not necessarily his offensive number.  I read multiple times that his defense was ready now for the Majors.  

1 hour ago, Matt Bennett said:

2022 Maverick Handley:

.250/.356/.516 home.

.222/.348/.326 away. 

I think you'll find a lot of splits like this among Bowie prospects. Probably the right call leaving him unprotected. Bowie's hitter's park can inflate a fan's opinion of a prospect's status. 

Here are the home/road splits of the five players who had more PA for Bowie than Handley.  To be clear, these splits include anything these players did at Aberdeen or Norfolk, if they played there .  But for all five, the majority (in some cases all) of their PA were for Bowie.  

Ortiz .894/.753

Haskin .847/.789

Daschbach .717/.662

Prieto .670/.763

Watson .616/.549

So yes, they generally favored the home ballpark, but not as much as for Handley.  

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Xavier Moore is my darkhorse to be protected. He's a guy I think they hid a bit in Single-A to try and keep him from teams, but those K and swing str % rates are some of the best in the system despite the lack of big fastball.

Too late!  The deadline was last night. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

2022 Maverick Handley:

.250/.356/.516 home.

.222/.348/.326 away. 

Handley's home runs are the big difference between home and away stats but not too many were wall scrapers.  Completely opposite of Cody Roberts who hit more on the road than at home.  So how much is field vs. pitcher/team being faced.  Do we discount Cody because he can't hit in a hitter friendly park?

His defense has always been his calling card.  However, his batting is unique in that every level (A short, A+ and AA) his numbers improve.  AVG, OBP, SLG and OPS as a direct result.  That is very rare for a player to improve his numbers as he goes higher in level against better pitching.  Really says something about what he seems to be working on during the offseason.  

So I look at the following:

PA     AVG/OBP/SLG     BB%/K%

2019    131   .202/.298/.237     8.4%/35.9%

2021    234   .201/.316/.337    11.5%/30.3%

2022    308   .236/.352/.417    11.7%/20.8%

The other big comparison I see when watching him vs. Cody Roberts (which Cody has some consistent numbers over his years) is that Maverick seems to be hitting the ball with much higher Exit Velocity.  Unfortunately... we don't get to see those metrics.

• Upvote 1

40-Man Roster Deadline Analysis: AL East | FanGraphs Baseball

Fangraphs has a 40-Man deadline review of the AL East up if you're into potential Rule 5 claims.

Red Sox - Noah Song would have been interesting in prior years.

NYY - pass.

Tampa - Any interest in any of the Tampa players mentioned in the article?  Misner is a lefty OF with 60 speed and a 30% K% (and a .380+ OBP in AA).  Infante is a righty OF with 60 power and 28% K% in A+ and AA (37.5% in AAA) this year.  Hernandez looks similar to Infante but a year younger and only at A+ ball.

Toronto - I'm most intrigued by Troy Watson (at least Longenhagen talked him up enough to want him on my team).  Highly doubt the O's would select him given his age/health history, but a 94-97 out of the bullpen with two potentially good breaking balls: an upper-80s slider/cutter (the movement is short, but it looks like it has sink and cut rather than just lateral action) and a hammer curveball in the low-80s and 13.50 K/9 with a 1.84 BB/9 in a very SSS in A+ could be a beast of a dice roll out of the BP.

Troy Watson - Stats - Pitching | FanGraphs Baseball