Palmer thinks Tyler Wells will be a starter next season

wildcard

55 minutes ago, now said:

I think of our rotation possibilities in pairs:

Rodriguez and Hall - new kids on the block

Wells and Means - returning from injury

Kremer and Bradish - flashed dominance, approached consistency

That's a great start but of course you need more than six candidates for a rotation. Here's another way to shake it out:

1. FA or Trade 

2. Rodriguez

3. Bradish

4. Kremer

5. Hall/Wells (piggyback)

6. Means (when ready)

7. Voth, Zimmermann, etc. 

Pretty close to what I am thinking but with a little different evaluation.

1 - 2.  Kremer and Bradish are the foundation.  They earned that last season.  Bradish in the 2nd half.

3.  A FA starter -  Someone better that Lyles that has been there, done that.

4.  Grayson -  I expect him good for 100 innings. Made 15 starts and then becomes an opener.

5.  Wells or Voth to begin the season.  Fight it out in ST.  Loser goes to the pen.

Means is a starter when he is ready.  Could take Wells/Voth spot in the rotation with them becomes the bulk guy behind Grayson.

Hall starts at AAA and is ready when he is ready. Pushes Wells/Voth to the pen.

Watkins and Baumann at AAA in the rotation, ready to come in case of injuries or non performance.

Edited by wildcard

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That's better.  He begins the season in the rotation and allowed to go 100 pitches per start.  But at some point he becomes an opener to limit his innings.

I guess that would work too.   Doesn't make that much difference to me.   Whether he starts and then becomes a 3 inning pitcher as a reliever or opener.   Rotates all year between starter and opener/reliever.    The idea is to keep him on a regular turn but keep his innings down throughout the year so he doesn't have to be shut down in early August.

Edited by RZNJ

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Pretty close to what I am thinking but with a little different evaluation.

1 - 2.  Kremer and Bradish are the foundation.  They earned that last season.  Bradish in the 2nd half.

3.  A FA starter -  Someone better that Lyles that has been there, done that.

4.  Grayson -  I expect him good for 100 innings. Made 15 starts and then becomes an opener.

5.  Wells or Voth to begin the season.  Fight it out in ST.  Loser goes to the pen.

Means is a starter when he is ready.  Could take Wells/Voth spot in the rotation with them becomes the bulk guy behind Grayson.

Hall starts at AAA and is ready when he is ready. Pushes Wells/Voth to the pen.

Watkins and Baumann at AAA in the rotation, ready to come in case of injuries or non performance.

I like your take, too. Yours makes most sense for opening day, mine is looking more toward mid-season.

57 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Palmer:  I think Wells can be a starter next year, he's really good.

Orioles Hangout:  Palmer thinks Wells can be a starter NEXT YEAR BUT WHAT ABOUT GRAY ROD AND BRADISH AND KREMER!?!?!??!

Yes, Palmer mentioned all three as starters.  Which was no surprising.   But its been talked about on the OH that maybe  Wells should move the pen.  That is why I thought the Wells as a starter comment was relevant.

• Upvote 1

I liked Wells as a starter.   

I’ve been toying with the question of whether the O’s should consider starting the year with a six man rotation.  We have a lot of potential starters who may need to keep their innings down, and that’s one way to do it while still giving starts to all of them.  

• Upvote 2

It’ll sort itself out. Someone will probably get injured at some point or just come out the gate pitching like a stinky turd. Hopefully 2-3 SP are brought in with at least one being a proven and consistent option. Depth will work in their favor. 

That means Wells should be viewed as a starter until he’s not. Same should go for Voth, Kremer, and Bradish. Someone will go to the bullpen and spot start when needed. Exactly who depends on spring training, injuries, and how well they’re actually doing 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I liked Wells as a starter.   

I’ve been toying with the question of whether the O’s should consider starting the year with a six man rotation.  We have a lot of potential starters who may need to keep their innings down, and that’s one way to do it while still giving starts to all of them.  

Shohei approves!   :)

He's such a force of nature it seems like almost a given that if you want him on your Club (all 30 do/should), practically speaking that needs to happen.     The Angels other pitchers are mostly nobodies, so no Proven Veteran teammate has to do much different, but 2024 will be interesting to watch Orgs navigate the egos if Ohtani becomes teammates with Gerrit Cole, Julio Urias, Max Scherzer, etc.     Max will love adjusting his calendar every 3rd week to make it good for him.

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Shohei approves!   :)

He's such a force of nature it seems like almost a given that if you want him on your Club (all 30 do/should), practically speaking that needs to happen.     The Angels other pitchers are mostly nobodies, so no Proven Veteran teammate has to do much different, but 2024 will be interesting to watch Orgs navigate the egos if Ohtani becomes teammates with Gerrit Cole, Julio Urias, Max Scherzer, etc.     Max will love adjusting his calendar every 3rd week to make it good for him.

Someday there may be a manager who has a six-man rotation but one stalwart who jumps the line and goes every five days.  33 starts for him, 26 for the other 5 guys, one of whom draws the short straw and gets stiffed one start.  

I think this might work well for Rodriguez, Hall and Wells in 2023.  Just gotta find our stalwart.  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Someday there may be a manager who has a six-man rotation but one stalwart who jumps the line and goes every five days.  33 starts for him, 26 for the other 5 guys, one of whom draws the short straw and gets stiffed one start.  

I think this might work well for Rodriguez, Hall and Wells in 2023.  Just gotta find our stalwart.  

A generation ago (tough phrase to write there), this was what the 2003 Jays did with peak Roy Halladay.   Mark Hendrickson had the 3rd most starts for that Club, and yeah, he didn't mind stepping aside.

Before the recent add of an extra half week to give more off days and rest for the players, I loved the balance of the season being 26 (now 26.5) weeks.    26 * 7 = 182 days - throw every 5th day, you can get 36 starts.

Halladay's days of rest splits that year: 3 GS on 3 days rest, 25 on 4, 6 on 5, 2 on 6+ (without checking game log one of which was probably the All-Star break).

Today only the Marlins give us kind of a mirror into the past.

2022 Sandy Alcantara was 15 on 4, 14 on 5 and 3 on 6, and he logged >10% more IP than MLB's 2nd place guy (228-205 over Nola).

Mike Elias, Matt Blood...whatcha gonna let Grayson Rodriguez do?

On 11/18/2022 at 4:29 PM, NCRaven said:

FA/Trade, Rodriquez, Hall, Wells, Bradish would be an interesting rotation.  Kremer to the pen.  Means available mid/late season.  Assuming Hall can hold down a rotation spot, I'm realling liking this group.

No chance Kremer is not in the rotation. I’m betting Hall starts at AAA or long reliever role. He barely averaged 5 innings and doesn’t have a lot of value until that improves. It wouldn’t surprise me if Wells goes to the pen.