Orioles 2022 #19 Prospect Carter Young - SS

Tony-OH

23 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

For whatever reason he reminds me a bit of Caydn Grenier, who was a former First Round (supplemental) pick the recieved a similar size bonus ($1.8mm in 2018). They had similar offensive numbers from major college baseball powerhouses and had a strong reputation for their defense at SS. Obviously Young appears to have a far higher offensive ceiling, so it'll be interesting to watch his development. Hopefully he has more success than Grenier. 

Grenier has some intangible issues, and Young may have some as well. We’ll see. I remember defending the Grenier pick a bit at the time, but I was dead wrong. He never made adjustments he needed to make. And he is not very athletic. I am not surprised he has been passed by so many better players recently.

Young has some twitch to his game that Grenier does not. We’ll see how he responds to being coached in the professional game. If he can put his ego aside and really buy in, he might just be a steal. 

• Upvote 3

On 11/25/2022 at 6:11 PM, Jammer7 said:

We’ll see how he responds to being coached in the professional game. If he can put his ego aside and really buy in, he might just be a steal. 

Interesting that you note his intangibles twice.

Hopefully the O's can develop him, and hopefully he carries himself like a real professional. Falling in the draft can be humbling. Getting $1.3 million can drive the ego though. 

9 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Interesting that you note his intangibles twice.

Hopefully the O's can develop him, and hopefully he carries himself like a real professional. Falling in the draft can be humbling. Getting $1.3 million can drive the ego though. 

That is what I heard from more than one source. The fact that Elias and Ciolek drafted him gives me hope that what I was told is overstated. Hopefully, he can mature the way they obviously believe he can. They would not give him $1.3 million if they did not believe in him.