How much better would Carlos Correa make the O's?

wildcard

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol.  You seriously just don’t get it.  

I don’t need to get it from you. He was discussed several time on the radio to do with the Orioles by people in the media. They referred to an understanding that Correa might have with Elias. I didn’t make it up, I posted the stuff I could find to continue the conversation which @Tony-OH said is fine and to take with a grain of salt. They all say Elias is interested. There was no phony rumor that he signed or anything like that. Why don’t you just stop your targeting. Doesn’t matter the subject your slights, snide comments, and BS is just sad that you need to do it to make yourself get off.

Edited by Roll Tide

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I don’t need to get it from you. He was discovered several time on the radio to do with the Orioles by people in the media. They referred to an understanding that Correa might have with Elias. I didn’t make it up, I posted the stuff I could find to continue the conversation which @Tony-OH said is fine and to take with a grain of salt. They all say Elias is interested. There was no phony rumor that he signed or anything like that. Why don’t you just stop your targeting. Doesn’t matter the subject your slights, snide comments, and BS is just sad that you need to do it to make yourself get off.

Lol. I suppose there is sentence in there somewhere although it’s all bs and no logic.

You are showing Twitter accounts of nobodies.  It’s in total bs. It means nothing yet you are talking about rumors.

It’s a lie that you have to be really dumb to fall for.  When it’s an actual credible source, then you talk about it.  Otherwise, you are representing bs as truth and that’s pretty pathetic.

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Please don't.

I come here to avoid that stuff.

I Didn’t vetting. I simply shared a couple post that claimed we are in on Correa. Two of the three had a good number of followers. With Rob and the lurker they just seem to want to take shots. I don’t believe we are signing anything other than bargain bin guys until it happens. Last year the bargain bin was around 7 million. This year it appears to be less than $20 million per.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I Didn’t vetting. I simply shared a couple post that claimed we are in on Correa. Two of the three had a good number of followers. With Rob and the lurker they just seem to want to take shots. I don’t believe we are signing anything other than bargain bin guys until it happens. Last year the bargain bin was around 7 million. This year it appears to be less than $20 million per.

No one is taking shots.  Just pointing out that it’s stupid to put those tweets up.  I mean, didn’t you recently say the insiders that were here before, that they were bad for the board?  And then you turn around and post this garbage?  Lol

Take some accountability and quit your whining. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol. I suppose there is sentence in there somewhere although it’s all bs and no logic.

You are showing Twitter accounts of nobodies.  It’s in total bs. It means nothing yet you are talking about rumors.

It’s a lie that you have to be really dumb to fall for.  When it’s an actual credible source, then you talk about it.  Otherwise, you are representing bs as truth and that’s pretty pathetic.

I’m not falling for anything. If you want to be the poster to determine who is and isn’t a source that’s worth sharing contact Tony and apply. Name calling and your other crap is clearly against the rules. And pretty low class Rob!

• Haha 1

Pre-2022 me:  Yep.  Sign me up for Correa.  $0+m AAV for 10 years?  Gotta do what we gotta do...  We've got a few hopes, but no locks.

2022 me:  Whoa.  We've got plenty of green shoots.  Gunnar is #1 and showed nice in his cup.  Mateo has a capable glove.  Holliday, Ortiz, Westburg, and a few others in the pipeline...  Some say prospects mean nothing.  But even big markets know they can't win without their pipeline developing low cost top-talent.  With so many shots on goal...  And we're a TOR starter + rotation depth short of legitimacy (and maybe a b

Pre-2023 me:  I'd prefer we shop non-SS roster spots but I'm not Elias.  And I'm looking forward to the day Correa signs somewhere (here or anywhere).

2 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Pre-2022 me:  Yep.  Sign me up for Correa.  $0+m AAV for 10 years?  Gotta do what we gotta do...  We've got a few hopes, but no locks.

2022 me:  Whoa.  We've got plenty of green shoots.  Gunnar is #1 and showed nice in his cup.  Mateo has a capable glove.  Holliday, Ortiz, Westburg, and a few others in the pipeline...  Some say prospects mean nothing.  But even big markets know they can't win without their pipeline developing low cost top-talent.  With so many shots on goal...  And we're a TOR starter + rotation depth short of legitimacy (and maybe a b

Pre-2023 me:  I'd prefer we shop non-SS roster spots but I'm not Elias.  And I'm looking forward to the day Correa signs somewhere (here or anywhere).

Yep. Things were completely different a year ago.

2 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

But you'd be replacing a 3.4 WAR player with him, so by basic math a win or 2. 

This may be my ignorance, but this is where I don't agree with advanced stats. I think the impact is different than just adding a win or so better player.

I think WAR is a useful measure of contributions to a team, but I don’t think WAR truly measures wins.  

Of course the difference between Mateo and Correa is very much based on which version of each that you are getting, for one.  Is Correa really 5.4 WAR or is he the 7.2 WAR player over 162 game average.  Is Mateo the 3.4 WAR that he showed last year or the 2.1 WAR he has shown over a 162 game average in his career.  Now Mateo was a different player in a different role than he was when he was putting up putrid results in 2021 and before.  But it isn't difficult to imagine that Correa has twice as much value as Mateo.  And they are basically the same age.

Secondly, at least for 2023, Mateo can settle in at 2nd base or Urias can and it is the improvement over Odor that is more the result.  And if one of Mateo or Urias can net us something in a trade that would be great.  Perhaps Mateo, Correa, Henderson, is 2nd-3rd with Urias as a utility until Holliday is ready.  Then guys like Norby, Ortiz and Westburg can be very good trade chips (along with Santander or Hays) that help bring back the likes of Pablo Lopez.   Then you are talking about adding Lopez and Correa instead of Lyles and Odor and still not really breaking the bank.  Could still sign Jameson and a quality bullpen arm.

Thirdly, whatever you want to believe about Correa, what I really like about him is how he understands the game, especially the extreme analytics.  He gets it better than most players do.  Watch an interview with him.  Read some of the stuff he has talked about in regards to analytics.  He will help other players understand it and get better as well.

Now it is a lot of money and 7 years would be better but imagine having a team of Rutschman, Holliday, Correa, Henderson, Cowser and Mullins with other high upside parts throughout the lineup for the next 5 years, at least.  Stowers, Mountcastle, Kjerstad, Mayo will either progress or we have to acquire other guys to fill those spots.  Either way that is a good competitive offense.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

You know better than label a prospect a Superstar….remember Jeffrey Hammonds? Need I go on?

And Correa could turn into Robinson Cano. Bottom line, the organization is deeper at middle infield than any other position. We could trade some of those guys for pitching and still fill the position and capture most of Correa's production at a fraction of the cost. I still say there are more efficient ways to spend his $30M+ AAV.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think WAR is a useful measure of contributions to a team, but I don’t think WAR truly measures wins.  

I don't really know the difference in the calcs or baselines, but when do we start using WAA?  We don't want better than Replacement.  We want better than Average.