Will the pitch clock bother our pitchers? Probably not much.

Frobby

Statcast keeps track of pitchers’ “tempo” and the “timer equivalent.”  Data on the Orioles is found here.

The difference between “tempo” and the “timer equivalent” is that tempo is the time between one pitch and the next, whereas the pitch clock only starts when the pitcher receives the ball.

All the Orioles but one average less than 15 seconds on the pitch clock.  The slow one is Cionel Perez, at 16.5.  It will be interesting to see how he’s affected.

I’m sure some of the others, even though they average less than 15 seconds, will feel rushed from time to time.   Too bad!

I don’t think Keegan Akin will care.   He averages 8.9 seconds, one of the fastest in MLB.

Edited by Frobby

3 minutes ago, Winter said:

Seems Gibson would be just below the middle of the pack, wonder if it's something they're taking into count with their lower tier SP shopping. 

I've not seen any reports of specific pitchers in the minors having their performances being significantly impacted by the change. 

I don't think it's likely to be an issue for anyone past spring training and maybe the first month of the season.

Pitch clock may not have much of an impact. I hope there is an adjustment in sloppy weather. I wouldn't want a pitcher throwing a ball 90 mph with a wet ball or when the mound is slippery at me. I believe other rule changes in combination with the time clock may have an impact. no shift...will 2nd basemen need to have better range, quicker first step. Limited pick off attempts and change in base size will mean more steals? Need for better throwing catchers? I could be wrong, but I think team speed and defense will be more important than in previous years. I like to believe (hope??) that the O's overall team speed and D might pick up a couple more wins next year (along with a front of rotation pitcher-a couple more wins).

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

Having watched a fair number of MILB games with a pitch clock the game seems to move much faster.  I believe those averages, but I wonder how much they take into account stepping out etc...

Point is, even for guys who average below 15, they’re not below it on every pitch.  With a 15-second limit, my guess is most pitchers will be averaging 12-13.

Also, as I’ve mentioned previously, the requirement that the batter be in the box ready to hit at the 8 second mark may be the bigger factor.  

• Upvote 1