Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Signing Gibson, Frazier, and (if they sign him) Wacha instead of players that actually make the team better in any sort of meaningful way would constitute punting, IMO.

That doesn't necesarily mean we can't still make the playoffs, but it certainly doesn't make it much more likely either.

Right, but my point was that if we’re trying to punt on this season, why sign anyone at all? Just say we trust the young guys to handle the added workload, whether you believe it or not. 

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

Right, but my point was that if we’re trying to punt on this season, why sign anyone at all? Just say we trust the young guys to handle the added workload, whether you believe it or not. 

Bring up young guys starts their clock, we will need them around for when we punt in 2029

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I'm not ruling out a corresponding trade (it was my thought too), but I think this move is meant to add a LHH who can play defense. A starter and/or a super util guy who can get Hays, Mountcastle and Urias/Westburg out of the lineup at our stadium. And I think Elias values that.

And I think Vavra's arm is just too bad to be ML caliber. So I'm guessing he isn't happy about this move.

Who cares if there is a corresponding trade?  You are loaded with ML ready MIers. You don’t need to sign another one.  I don’t even care that Frazier was good in 2021. To me, it doesn’t even matter if he returns to a 2-3 WAR guy. That’s not even the point.

It’s just dumb. It makes no sense. There is no logic behind it. It’s taking money and wiping your ass with it and then lighting it on fire. You could likely have Eovaldi for the same or less that it will cost you to have Frazier and Gibson. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'm not ruling out a corresponding trade (it was my thought too), but I think this move is meant to add a LHH who can play defense. A starter and/or a super util guy who can get Hays, Mountcastle and Urias/Westburg out of the lineup at our stadium. And I think Elias values that.

And I think Vavra's arm is just too bad to be ML caliber. So I'm guessing he isn't happy about this move.

Playing Frazier at 1st, over Mountcastle, is downright asinine.

On surface this move hurts Westburg over Stowers. Once again unless a deal is made. 

They are going to have to at some point open up space by dealing Mateo and Urias unless Mateo becomes super utility type.  

Vavra can still be on team. They do need to figure out who backs up Mountcastle. Either someone else with 1B experience or they work with someone in spring. 

Just now, waroriole said:

That's what I don't get, I'd rather roll with the prospects and younger players if the best the Orioles can do is sign a few retread free agents.

None of these signings move the needle on the team's playoff odds and they are  only going to be around for a year or two. 

12 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don't get it this franchise  is schizo. Supposedly limited budget for free agents and you waste $8M on Adam Fraizer?  I really want hear Elias' justification  for signing an expensive mediocre 2B. 

Yup, this.  If you want an offensive player, fine, but get an upgrade.  Get Brantley, or JD Martinez, or someone that might move the needle.  If you have endless funds then sure, sign Frazier.  But they don't.  This appears to be an awful allocation of limited resources, simply put. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I think of him like Ryan Flaherty. A super util guy who plays everywhere.

I'm not defending this. I just think Elias values it, particularly because he's a LHH.

And I get that the price tag is high. Seems stupid for sure.

If only we had a young left handed hitting player that can be a UTI guy.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Who cares if there is a corresponding trade?  You are loaded with ML ready MIers. You don’t need to sign another one.  I don’t even care that Frazier was good in 2021. To me, it doesn’t even matter if he returns to a 2-3 WAR guy. That’s not even the point.

It’s just dumb. It makes no sense. There is no logic behind it. It’s taking money and wiping your ass with it and then lighting it on fire. You could likely have Eovaldi for the same or less that it will cost you to have Frazier and Gibson. 

Right.  A minor league deal? Sure.  One year one million?  Don't think it's necessary, but why not?  But $8M?  That is more than any position player on the team makes... and it's Adam Freaking Frazier. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If only we had a young left handed hitting player that can be a UTI guy.

Amazing how they can seem so smart with some stuff and so idiotic with others.  This makes ZERO sense... this makes the Jake Cave claim from a few weeks ago seem like a brilliant move.