Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

It’s laughable. 

Playing Odor over Vavra and comparing that to Frazier is ridiculous. I’m suppose to believe in mid July 2023 that Frazier isn’t playing well that Westburg continues to rot in the minors. 

I hope it's not the case but the O's have given us reason to worry. There was also the treatment of Stowers vs Aguilar. Don't forget they have Urias, too. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Besides what do you think $8M buys in the FA market?

Honestly, part of my problem with this trade is I feel like it means we won't get Brantley. The latter likely costs more and provides less positional versatility.

But his bat is so much better if he's healthy. 

So I think it's a fair question of whether we would have preferred Brantley at ~$12 million or Frazier at ~$8 million. I'd prefer Brantley.

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Where is the $8m in savings going Tony? Where? $8M on someone else nobody likes? You claim they won’t go after impactful talent but think $8M is the reason they won’t? This stops them from doing what? Still not bringing in an impactful player is the answer. 

People complain they don’t spend enough - and I agree- and then think that this $8M could have been combined with Gibson. Ok. What are you getting for $18M?  A Bellinger? Higher upside SP on a one year deal? A quality SP is going to cost you at least 3 years of that. Not one year, 3. If you give a SP a 3 year deal at $20M a year - which once again they should be able to afford - then you are risking that $20M on one arm per year. It would take 7/8 years of $8M a year savings to get to a solid SP. I am suppose to think that one year of Adam Frazier is why they can’t sign a legit SP or won’t in the future. Not buying it. They are going to pile up the savings from this and throw it around later on? $8M in today’s game does not get you an impact player. Why does anyone think this is why they aren’t using it on someone else. A good player costs multiple years, not 1. 

Ae far as him the player, his skill is to get in base which this team lacks and defensive flexibility. Generally speaking he gets on base about .60 -.65 points higher than his BA. That includes last year. The team had a .302 OBP last year. If he hits .240 again then it didn’t work out. The guy hits .275 that is a .335-340 OBP. The worst thing of all is not signing him it would be playing him if he does struggle. Then you can move him to a bench role. Speaking of that we are to assume that none of the regulars ever get hurt like Hays or Santander? The rest all play great, no regression from Mateo, Stowers and Westburg have smooth transitions. Basically little goes wrong. 

By signing him you have a player on a cheap one year deal that can play second and the OF. It creates depth. Gives you margin for error. Even if they deal Urias there is still depth. I personally am not worried how many at bats Stowers and Westburg get this year. Things will work themselves out. Urias could be dealt tomorrow, in the spring, later on or he gets 600 at bats. Why is coming into the season with more options by using money that you weren’t using to bring in a big name anyway a bad thing? 

Ok, so you think a guy who has no power, no speed, a .310 OBP over his last 850+ PAs should get PAs and you could care less about PAs for Stowers and Westburg. Gotcha. 

I'm going to make this easy and just say I've proved my point in the other threads or why I disagree. On the bright side for you, Elias certainly agrees with you!

On the bad side, an analytically driven GM like Elias made this move. 

As for the $8 mil, yes, I do think this could limit who they acquire through trade because I do believe Elias was given a tight budget despite all the Disney money that all the other teams are spending.

52 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

My wager, btw, is the O's think Frazier made swing adjustments (e.g. launch angles) that were bad for Frazier. I think they try to turn him back into a LD/GB hitter. I think the weak contact was related to trying to elevate the ball.

And I could be wrong.

So there's reason for hope, but also reason I hate this for $8 million. If it was $2-4 million, it would make sense to me.

Who did the Orioles bring in at the major league level and made swing adjustments that made them a significantly better hitter with less than 5 percentile EVs. What magic pixie dust do you believe the Orioles possess that works on major league hitters and what players have they improved?

Why doesn't that dust work on Mountcastle and Hays? 

40 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They gave Aguilar about 50 at bats. He is gone. Odor is gone. 

He is going to play a lot. Never said he wouldn’t. I said if he doesn’t play well they won’t keep running him out there all year long.  

This is honest question. Did Elias sign an autograph for you or something or do you know him personally? 

20 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Besides what do you think $8M buys in the FA market?

I’d rather not spend it at all. Or put it in the Latin market or player development. It didn’t get you much. 

and you put stock in guys who have repeated their performance (Urias) or have a unique calling in their defense and speed that doesn’t disappear overnight (Mateo). I’m not putting my stock in the rotation.

37 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They added him because they don’t want to bank on Stowers and Westburg and the rest of the lineup staying healthy/productive all year. He wants depth/options. 

Once again. My point is simple. If he does not play well he isn’t playing all the time. Do you think in July if he is struggling he plays everyday? 

Odor says that depends on his veternosity.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'd rather burn $8M on DSL prospects even if none of them pan out. 

Absolutely. I would pay the fines and bonuses that equal up to $7.25 million to steal some top rated DR talent and then give his PA to Urias/Westburg/Ortiz/Vavra this season. Much better way to use the limited resources.

57 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They added him because they don’t want to bank on Stowers and Westburg and the rest of the lineup staying healthy/productive all year. He wants depth/options. 

Once again. My point is simple. If he does not play well he isn’t playing all the time. Do you think in July if he is struggling he plays everyday? 

Again, the Orioles are not paying someone $8M - the second or third highest on their payroll - to eventually not play.  Odor kept playing despite sucking, and Frazier makes 8 time what he made...

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is honest question. Did Elias sign an autograph for you or something or do you know him personally? 

I don’t know him at all. Nor do I think he is infallible. 

Do you have a personal issue with him? You got all worked up over the catchers he added which didn’t hurt anything. 

i do have issues with some aspects of the organization. That’s another story.