Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

I think I've had to readjust what I thought a player is worth in free agency. The kind of money being handed out this off season has been staggering.

The biggest gripe about Frazier is that it seems like an unnecessary signing. I'd rather see Westburg or Urias at 2B. Westburg will be 24 when the season begins. It's time to either let the young guys play, or trade them.

People are seeking logic in this move and I think it comes down to defense. This is what a proven 2nd basemen costs in this market. @Tony-OH makes a ton of great points about Frazier’s offense, but the FO wanted 4 guys to fill the 3 IF positions other than 1B, and they didn’t feel confident in Westburg from OD. Maybe in the no shift world, Westburg is our 1B, and Mountcastle needs to step his approach up. 

5 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

He'll be at least as engaged as Kris Bryant in Colorado.

Seriously though, the White Sox are still competing, are closer to redlining their finances than many other Clubs based on history, have that 2B black hole, and there have been rumors they might dip into their bullpen strength to address it.

These Orioles would cut a different look with say Liam Hendriks and Craig Kimbrel on the roster.

I’m not much on Kimbrel myself. I don’t trust him. 

That said worth a shot if cheap. 

6 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I told you we'd agree eventually!  I would not want him for that deal. 

Good!!!

To be 100% clear. I want more than what they have done. I’m not satisfied with rotation. Need to see how it plays out. 

At end of day if Elias didn’t move a position player anyone he added was taking time away from someone. He still has months and well into the season to make a move. I just think things on the position player side will work out. 

The presser pushed out by the MASN folks.

6:20 - think I heard him say "they were on me from the start", perhaps same as Kyle Gibson, something they set out to do 

Mentioned he'd met Westburg in Starkville a couple times.    I guess if you are gonna handle a guy, trying to leverage that SEC fraternity a little bit to help the medicine go down.    Is Westburg better off in April on the bench here?

Building a bench...Urias, Westburg, McKenna, catcher as it stands now?

Like others here, I just don't understand why they would spend $8M on a guy that should be a utility player.  Infield, and to a lesser extent, the outfield are not positions of need right now.    I just don't see what this guy brings to the table to make the team that much better. 

58 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Well they should be sellers if they are out of it. 

It would be the Gibson, Frazier types who they would try to deal. 

Yeah, except I didn’t say out of it. They weren’t out of it last deadline. Not holding a current playoff spot isn’t out of it. But you better bet genius boy will give up if there’s a chance to. Especially since he has fanboys like you to justify everything he does.

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Slight Upward Arc said:

Yeah, except I didn’t say out of it. They weren’t out of it last deadline. Not holding a current playoff spot isn’t out of it. But you better bet genius boy will give up if there’s a chance to. Especially since he has fanboys like you to justify everything he does.

😂 

Nice jab. My feelings are hurt. Won’t be able to sleep tonight. 

Make a point and back it up. I did. 

• Upvote 1