Rodon to the Yankees - 6 years / $162MM

paulcoates

27 minutes ago, paulcoates said:

The Yankees have handed out half-a-billion dollars this offseason.  The Orioles simply can't compete with this.

Let’s be honest. They didn’t need to. All they needed to do was something like maybe a Verlander for 90, a Bassitt for 64 and, maybe a bat for 10-20. All of those in total come up to what around 170- 180. That is nowhere near $500 million (Half a billion). And we would have been better than the Yanks.

We can decry their spending but at least they are trying to win. What are we trying to do? Waste another season “evaluating”?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

That really is the kind of contract a young, up and coming team that needs to make a splash for a #1 would want to make. But what do I know. 

I didn’t think Rodón was on our radar from the start, before the offseason got disappointing. 

But the fact that he went to a division rival just magnifies how bad our offseason has been so far. 

And I don’t think it’s going to get better. I said it the other day and I’ll say it again here, the only area Elias has been aggressive in is deadline trades. That’s it. Never been aggressive in free agency, never been aggressive in offseason trading. Maybe he feels that leverage is on his side at the deadline and that’s the best place to acquire talent, I dunno. 

But hey, it’s only December 15th! I’m sure there’s a rabbit he can pull out of a hat somewhere and make us feel better about Gibson, Mazara, Franchy, and Frazier. 

• Upvote 1