Poll: Do you like the Adam Frazier signing?

Tony-OH

Do you like the Frazier signing?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think signing Frazier to a 1 yr/ $8 million contract was good or not?

• Yes, It was good
    • No, it was not good

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I will be concise. Will Frazier cost the Orioles a playoff spot? 

If he plays like last year (or worse), he just might, but I do not presently believe that competing for a playoff spot in 2023 is a priority for the Orioles anyway.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

1. Correct. Can’t argue the last 1 1/2 years

2. He certainly impedes the playing time of prospects. I don’t think he completely blocks anyone unless he is great and even then it’s one year.

3. Illogigal.  IF he plays well.

4. We’ll see. Maybe. See #3.

We spent $18 million on replacing Lyles and Odor with...marginally better (maybe) versions of Lyles and Odor. 

That is a waste of money. 

6 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Not my first choice but Mckenna? 

Okay, now the team is worse than if we had just held onto Hays and not signed Frazier.

3 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

The reason I voted Yes is because I think the O's can compete for a WC spot in 2023, and I don't know (yet) that Ortiz, Westburg or any other MiLer is ready to hit ML pitching. Perhaps one could make the team as a utility player out of Spring Training? Let them get their bearings, provide ABs by using the DH spot or spelling any of the 2B/SS/3B spots in the lineup. If Frazier can rebound to a .750ish OPS, then it works for me.  

And... as noted, perhaps there is a trade of a middle infielder for pitching that makes this a better move. Sign Frazier, include Mateo in a package for a solid starter? I'm all for it. 

You say you don’t know if those guys can hit ML pitching yet you seem like you think Frazier will?  Why?  Because he did a few years ago?  What about all that statistical evidence that says he is declining at a relatively rapid pace?

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

All we're going to do is rehash the Frazier thread. We get it, you believe using stats, age, metrics are laughably weak ways to evaluate moves and prefer the "trust Elias" approach and any fault finding in Elias is emotionally driven. 

Your point has been clear. Why are you wasting time writing a bunch of stuff that Elias has done again when we all know this and probably 99% of us agree that he's done well in many areas of rebuilding this franchise top to bottom?

Some of us are just able to understand that everyone has strengths and weaknesses including Elias, and that we have seen poor decisions made by him with major league talent evaluations and playing time. 

If you consider that an emotional response, that's on you. Those are just plain facts.

I believe a singles hitter is a singles hitter.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

You say you don’t know if those guys can hit ML pitching yet you seem like you think Frazier will?  Why?  Because he did a few years ago?  What about all that statistical evidence that says he is declining at a relatively rapid pace?

Maybe I should have said I don't know if those guys are really ready for the MLs and perhaps could use some more time in AAA. Perhaps this is the thought exercise. With the O's playoff aspirations, what is the greater likelihood... Frazier fails to revert to a .750+ OPS player or Ortiz/Westburg play so poorly that they get sent back to AAA?    

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What about all that statistical evidence that says he is declining at a relatively rapid pace?

Elias will sprinkle some magic pixie dust on him and he will immediayely revert to being a productive Major League player, just like he did with Odor and Aguilar.

Wait...

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’m gonna need an explanation for the 28% voting yes. How ridiculous. Contrarian for the sake of being contrarian?

That definitely explains a chunk of it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Of course it’s dismissive. There isn’t anything in there that I agree with, so of course I’m dismissing it.  Why would I accept something that I think is wrong?  

You have no idea how funny you are.  

You can disagree with someone without totally dismissing something they said.  At least reasonable people can.

3 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

The reason I voted Yes is because I think the O's can compete for a WC spot in 2023, and I don't know (yet) that Ortiz, Westburg or any other MiLer is ready to hit ML pitching. Perhaps one could make the team as a utility player out of Spring Training? Let them get their bearings, provide ABs by using the DH spot or spelling any of the 2B/SS/3B spots in the lineup. If Frazier can rebound to a .750ish OPS, then it works for me.  

And... as noted, perhaps there is a trade of a middle infielder for pitching that makes this a better move. Sign Frazier, include Mateo in a package for a solid starter? I'm all for it. 

Do you know Frazier is "ready to hit ML pitching" after last season stats, bottom barrel EVs, turning 31, and a big drop in speed?  

What makes you think Frazier will rebound to .750ish OPS when he hasn't been good in over .800 PAs?

I get hope, but I just don't understand why people think he will rebound without some metrics or stats. The only thing you have is hope.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There is nothing to challenge.  Your post is all over the place and honestly, tl;Dr at certain points.

Once you start bringing up that he got good production from scrap heap guys, you lose me. First of all, who cares. Second of all, those guys weren’t blocking significant prospects, they weren’t brought in during a year where the team expected contention and they were no gamble because they cost nothing.  It’s apples to oranges.

If it’s apples to oranges why are so many using 2022 moves as evidence to criticize this move? I’m not the one who brought those subjects up, everyone else did. 

Frazier is one player. One. Not 5, 1.  

Just now, Jagwar said:

Maybe I should have said I don't know if those guys are really ready for the MLs and perhaps could use some more time in AAA. Perhaps this is the thought exercise. With the O's playoff aspirations, what is the greater likelihood... Frazier fails to revert to a .750+ OPS player or Ortiz/Westburg play so poorly that they get sent back to AAA?    

But say they do. Say those guys aren’t ready. You still have Urias.

And you can still go out and add another UTI guy. It’s not like Frazier is the only guy available in all of MLB for that spot.

I would guarantee that sometime over the next 2 months, a comparable player is acquired for less and we will be able to say, well that would have made more sense.

I mean, I haven’t really looked into things but there may be a reasonable chance that I would have preferred Drury at his contract.  

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You have no idea how funny you are.  

You can disagree with someone without totally dismissing something they said.  At least reasonable people can.

I have disagreed with him..several times.  He keeps saying the same thing over and over. He has nothing to back it up. They are fantasyland concepts. Nothing real. At some point, merely disagreeing doesn’t work.

And btw, I think it’s funny you are trying to act in this manner. You are a disrespectful awful person to converse with on almost every level. Your opinion on how someone talks to someone else is as welcomed as a kidney stone.