Prepare yourselves for Hosmer

interloper

Just now, NCRaven said:

Don’t really think Frazier blocks anyone at 2B.  If Westburg, for example, forces the issue, Frazier can be moved into a utility role.  We’ll see.

If you assume that some combination of Henderson, Westburg, Vavra, Mateo, Urias, and Ortiz would have seen middle-left infield playing time in 2023, then I think it's fair to say Frazier is taking AB's away from arguably better players, and preventing their evaluation/development.

8 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Don’t really think Frazier blocks anyone at 2B.  If Westburg, for example, forces the issue, Frazier can be moved into a utility role.  We’ll see.

Still hoping we trade for another starting pitcher.

He absolutely blocks players. This organization isn’t going to take someone making 8M, who is a vet presence and put them on the bench..not until at least August.

1 minute ago, owknows said:

If you assume that some combination of Henderson, Westburg, Vavra, Mateo, Urias, and Ortiz would have seen middle-left infield playing time in 2023, then I think it's fair to say Frazier is taking AB's away from arguably better players, and preventing their evaluation/development.

Agreed.  And yet, I still think there is a path for Westburg to get many AB's if Urias or Mateo is dealt.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I agree that they have blocked 2B.  I mentioned that.  It remains to be seen if that move was intended just to create a 4-man rotation between 3B-SS-2B or if there is something else going on via future trade.  We have no idea who the bat, if there is one, or who the pitcher might be.   I know everyone likes to guess but until it happens we have no idea.   So, you can speculate that it won't be a pitcher who moves the needle but I think you could be proven wrong.   It's also subjective on what moves the needle.   Obviously, Burnes moves the needle.   Does Sonny Gray move the needle?  Does Snell move the needle?   Does Carrasco move the needle?

Snell would. I think Carrasco could. Not sure about Gray.

But when they sign Wacha or Archer or someone like that, no that doesn’t really move the needle.

End of the day, there are only so many moves they have left and they aren’t willing to take on long term salary. So, it’s definitely fair to be pessimistic about else they could do.

Im good with the Hosmer move provided that it’s not too much money and doesn’t block Stowers. 

Im sure they will add a starter I don’t like/want but even if they get someone I like, I don’t think the team is that much better than it was, if it’s better at all.

29 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Still hoping we trade for another starting pitcher.

I think this is a very reasonable take. If Westburg, or whichever infield prospect, emerges as better than Frazier, they should push Frazier to a UT role. Competition brings the best out of all players, young and older. Whether or not they move Frazier at the deadline might be predicated on this exact thing. If they can rebuild Frazier’s value, have their prospects push him aside to be dealt at the deadline, that makes this a very good signing. Several “ifs” though. We’ll see. They gambled $8 million.

I also hope they trade for a starting pitcher, an upgrade, a needle-mover.

• Upvote 1

Hosmer just makes little sense to me. The profile makes some sense, not the guy. Maybe Hyde will be able to get him to actually hold himself accountable and prepare himself to play each day. Yes, I am trying to find something positive, sigh! lol

If you have 13 position players:

1. Rutschman
  2. Mountcastle
  3. Frazier
  4. Mateo
  5. Henderson
  6. Hays
  7. Mullins
  8. Santander
  9. McCann
  10. McKenna
  11. Urias 
  12. Stowers
  13. maybe Vavra?

I suppose Vavra could go down, but how would a Hosmer signing not impact Stowers significantly?

11 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Hosmer just makes little sense to me. The profile makes some sense, not the guy. Maybe Hyde will be able to get him to actually hold himself accountable and prepare himself to play each day. Yes, I am trying to find something positive, sigh! lol

If you have 13 position players:

1. Rutschman
  2. Mountcastle
  3. Frazier
  4. Mateo
  5. Henderson
  6. Hays
  7. Mullins
  8. Santander
  9. McCann
  10. McKenna
  11. Urias 
  12. Stowers
  13. maybe Vavra?

I suppose Vavra could go down, but how would a Hosmer signing not impact Stowers significantly?

Vavra getting optioned to start the year in Norfolk seems like the logical move. Of course that's predicated on Urias and Mateo being on the team come opening day

30 minutes ago, wse120372 said:

Vavra getting optioned to start the year in Norfolk seems like the logical move. Of course that's predicated on Urias and Mateo being on the team come opening day

Pushing Vavra back down just increases the pressure build-up on the middle-left-infield bottleneck.

They've done a great job finding and drafting very capable players that are now emerging onto the MLB scene.

Why do we keep reaching into the dumpster for 2nd rate players to impede them with?

Mateo, Urias, Henderson, Westburg, Ortiz, Vavra, Norby, shortly to be joined by Mayo, Wagner, and Holliday

Conservatively, at least half of these guys are going to be MLB starters.

PLAY THE ONES YOU FOUND/DRAFTED ALREADY!!

We don't need stale cheeseburgers from the dumpster any more.

• Upvote 1