College Pitcher Workloads

I heard a mention recently about Carlos Rodon's long term being dimmer due to college abuse, and looked at him and some others to see if his NCAA innings popped.

Here are IP numbers for the 1st college ace drafted since Rodon's year, and a few others of interest.     The 3 numbers are their freshman, sophomore, junior IP's

I am fuzzy on if these B-Ref (or baseball cube in the very old cases) numbers tally College World Series innings or not, but it gives the flavor and I'll start with one of the great What If's of the NCAA using up much of a great pitcher's talent:

Long Time Ago, Ben McDonald, 37-118-152       

'14 Carlos Rodon, 114-132-98       looks like they pulled back Junior year.    Ben's 150 and Carlos' 130 are the top two you'll see here

'15 Dillon Tate, 3-43-103

'16 AJ Puk, 42-78-73

'17 Kyle Wright, 58-93-103

'18 Casey Mize, 69-83-114

'19 Nick Lodolo, 78-77-103        

'20 Max Meyer, 43-76-27         Covid's first appearance in Year 3.    Anecdotally Meyer for me is the guy who got his multi-millions off basically 5-6 college games in February

'21 Jack Leiter, xx-15-110

'22 Kumar Rocker, 99-15-122     Rocker also gathered rust for a year after even Steve Cohen's team was hesitant to give him money

A few others, mid 1st rounders in some cases:

Some Time Ago, Mike Elias, 56-51-xx-9-32        played Senior year after I believe getting medical redshirt for his arm blowing up somewhere in the middle.    He's lived Hurt Young Pitcher.

'12 Michael Wacha, xx-129-113      only threw 2 college seasons, and was a playoff pitcher by 2013

'20 Garrett Crochet, 63-65-3         pitched both NCAA and MLB playoffs in 2020

If the player's talent is close enough to the ballpark on the scale of 1-2 Heston Kjerstad, I am curious to see if Elias goes for a fast moving pitcher from the middle of the first round this year or next.    I'm not sure if the White Sox Crochet selection was a decent bet or bad blunder.

On 12/22/2022 at 5:17 PM, Just Regular said:

I heard a mention recently about Carlos Rodon's long term being dimmer due to college abuse, and looked at him and some others to see if his NCAA innings popped.

Here are IP numbers for the 1st college ace drafted since Rodon's year, and a few others of interest.     The 3 numbers are their freshman, sophomore, junior IP's

I am fuzzy on if these B-Ref (or baseball cube in the very old cases) numbers tally College World Series innings or not, but it gives the flavor and I'll start with one of the great What If's of the NCAA using up much of a great pitcher's talent:

Long Time Ago, Ben McDonald, 37-118-152       

'14 Carlos Rodon, 114-132-98       looks like they pulled back Junior year.    Ben's 150 and Carlos' 130 are the top two you'll see here

'15 Dillon Tate, 3-43-103

'16 AJ Puk, 42-78-73

'17 Kyle Wright, 58-93-103

'18 Casey Mize, 69-83-114

'19 Nick Lodolo, 78-77-103        

'20 Max Meyer, 43-76-27         Covid's first appearance in Year 3.    Anecdotally Meyer for me is the guy who got his multi-millions off basically 5-6 college games in February

'21 Jack Leiter, xx-15-110

'22 Kumar Rocker, 99-15-122     Rocker also gathered rust for a year after even Steve Cohen's team was hesitant to give him money

A few others, mid 1st rounders in some cases:

Some Time Ago, Mike Elias, 56-51-xx-9-32        played Senior year after I believe getting medical redshirt for his arm blowing up somewhere in the middle.    He's lived Hurt Young Pitcher.

'12 Michael Wacha, xx-129-113      only threw 2 college seasons, and was a playoff pitcher by 2013

'20 Garrett Crochet, 63-65-3         pitched both NCAA and MLB playoffs in 2020

If the player's talent is close enough to the ballpark on the scale of 1-2 Heston Kjerstad, I am curious to see if Elias goes for a fast moving pitcher from the middle of the first round this year or next.    I'm not sure if the White Sox Crochet selection was a decent bet or bad blunder.

Don’t believe it includes tournament games, also most definitely doesn’t include fall intra quads and more recently the “two fall games”

To be fair, The better schools Vandy, Wake, Ole Miss, etc.  have their pitchers on very specific schedules geared to max out at end of season.  Lotta people freaked about Leiter in college WS, but his entire year was scripted to be able to throw all those pitches in that very last game.  

Id be wary of a new coach at a lesser programs trying to make a name for himself.  The top notch established programs take care of their athletes a little better.  

*one caveat.  The player has to follow their workout schedule 100%, if they do not they run the risk of getting injured.  This is where the high character stuff comes in.  It’s an insurance policy for the team. 

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1