Next Friday (1/13) is the deadline to exchange arbitration figures

Frobby

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think he made an argument.  He made a statement.  

“Our plan for this offseason has always been to significantly escalate the payroll,” GM Mike Elias said in an appearance on The Front Office Show on MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM.  “I think a lot of that’s going to come through our own guys going into arbitration, but also we plan to explore free agency much more aggressively.  We plan to maybe make some buy trades for some guys that are either on contracts or kind of in the tail-end of their arbitration.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/08/gm-mike-elias-orioles-will-significantly-escalate-the-payroll-during-offseason.html

Last year’s payroll was $48 mm.  Assuming this year’s lands at $65 mm, is that increase “significant?”   Arguably, but I consider it about the minimum they could have done.   I was expecting something in the $80 - 100 mm range.

I listen to Eve Rosenbaum on WBAL Hot Stove.   She said they thought they had done well with building the 40 man roster this off season but they still want to add pitching.   That may up the payroll some more before OD.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I listen to Eve Rosenbaum on WBAL Hot Stove.   She said they thought they had done well with building the 40 man roster this off season but they still want to add pitching.   That may up the payroll some more before OD.

Fine, so long as they get someone who’s actually an upgrade over what we have.  

When is WBAL Hot Stove on?  I didn’t realize they were doing anything.  Who hosts it?

On 1/5/2023 at 10:05 AM, Frobby said:

Santander (Arb 3) MLBTR estimates $7.5 mm; Cot’s estimates $7.1 mm agreed to $7.4 mm

Mullins (Arb 1) $4.4 mm; $5.0 mm agreed to $4.1 mm

Hays (Arb 1) $3.1 mm; $3.75 mm agreed to $3.2 mm

Mateo (Arb 1) $1.8 mm; $1 mm agreed to $2 mm

Voth (Arb 1) $2.0 mm; $1.55 mm no agreement 

Tate (Arb 1) $1.5 mm; $915 k agreed to $1.5 mm

Agreed amounts added above.  MLBTR was on the money this year with our players.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Fine, so long as they get someone who’s actually an upgrade over what we have.  

When is WBAL Hot Stove on?  I didn’t realize they were doing anything.  Who hosts it?

https://www.wbal.com/podcasts/channel/baltimore-orioles-hot-stove-show

Arnold and Hollander

Thursdays at 7pm since Nov 10th

Edited by wildcard

11 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

They are 29th in baseball in payroll. As of right now the Orioles are about $8 million ahead of the A's. They are about $10 million behind the two teams that are ahead of them ,Pirates and Rays. As of today, 7 teams have a payroll below $100 million. Three had winning records and two made the playoffs. 

Edited by Going Underground

“Thirty-three arbitration-eligible players remained unsigned after Friday and exchanged salary figures with teams -- some of them among the game's best, including Milwaukee right-hander Corbin Burnes, Atlanta left-hander Max Fried, Toronto shortstop Bo Bichette, Houston outfielder Kyle Tucker, New York Mets second baseman Jeff McNeil and Seattle outfielder Teoscar Hernández.

“The Tampa Bay Rays, who had 14 players eligible, settled with only half and plan to take on cases against infielder Yandy Diaz, left-hander Jeffrey Springs, first baseman Harold Ramirezand relievers Pete Fairbanks, Colin Poche, Ryan Thompson and Jason Adam. As Saturday dawned, five New York Yankees players remained unsigned, as did three from the Seattle Mariners and Los Angeles Angels.”

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35440065/sources-padres-juan-soto-reach-23m-deal-avoid-arbitration

Glad we only have one.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Aw crap, just give it to him you Angelo's cheapskates.

I doubt anyone in the Angelos family is involved here.  In any event I have no problem with the O’s sticking to their guns if they think Voth is asking for too much.  There are a number of cases where teams and players are fighting about smaller amounts than this.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I doubt anyone in the Angelos family is involved here.  In any event I have no problem with the O’s sticking to their guns if they think Voth is asking for too much.  There are a number of cases where teams and players are fighting about smaller amounts than this.  

Whoever is making the financial decisions then. It's 300 grand. That's NOTHING in MLB salaries. 

Just now, Bahama O's Fan said:

Whoever is making the financial decisions then. It's 300 grand. That's NOTHING in MLB salaries. 

So what?   Like I said, there are plenty of arbitrations scheduled for less money than that, or the same.

Rays - Colin Poche $125 k

Cards - Genesis Cabrera $165 k

Rays - Ryan Thompson $200 k

Rays - Jason Adam $225 k

Mariners - Diego Castilla $275 k

Angels - Luis Rengifo $300 k

Nats - Victor Robles $300 k

It’s got nothing to do with the team being cheap.  It’s a matter of the team and the player disagreeing about his value.  Who’s to say it isn’t the player being greedy?

Voth is an interesting case.  MLBTR estimated him at $2 mm, which is what he’s asking for.  Cot’s estimated him at $1.55 mm, which is below what the O’s are offering.  His arbitration value is based on his whole career to this point and his entire 2022 campaign, but his 4 months with the Orioles were significantly better than that.  I could see his case going either way.  Fine with me if they end up compromising, fine with me if they don’t.  He’s not that important of a player.  

• Upvote 2