Orioles over/under win total

eddie83

Just now, now said:

I dreamed last night the Orioles won the World Series. Adley laid out to catch a popup for the final out. Disclaimer for you bettors: I can't say for sure what year this scenario unfolded! 

That would be a cool way to win a World Series.

I wonder what was the best defensive play ever to end a World Series?

Both the Orioles over 77.5  and the Jays under 94.5 are tempting.

But having lost three or four over/under bets on the Orioles, placed by a friend in Las Vegas when sports betting was done either there or illegally, I think I'll focus on other ways to throw my money away. But 95+ wins for me to lose on the BJs? Really? 

:rolleyes:

Whenever you start to get down on this team just remember at different points last year we had three seperate #1 prospects in baseball in various publications. All three of those are slated for OD and two already have MLB experience. 

We dismiss Westburg to easily on here. IMO, if he’s a 1B this year, he has a better pedigree than Mountcastle. 

We also will trot out five GG caliber defenders at various positions. Mullins, Urias, Mateo, Gunnar, and Adley. If Gunnar at qualifies at 2B, we have a legit shot at five GGers. 

• Upvote 1

Here are the teams whose over/unders are the furthest under their 2022 performance:

LAD 96.5 - 111 = -14.5

HOU 96.5 - 106 = -8.5

ATL 94.5 - 101 = -6.5

BAL 77.5 - 83 = -5.5

LAD, HOU and ATL all won 100+ games last year and and projected to win 94.5+ this year.  So, though they’re projected as the biggest “losers,” that’s only because their win totals were very high last year, and they’re still expected to be very good.   I’d say the projected drop by the Orioles is in a way more significant given their middle of the pack position.  

The biggest projected gainers are:

TEX 80.5 - 68 = +12.5

LAA 79.5 - 73 = +6.5

WSN 61.5 - 55 = +6.5

One final note: the AL collectively is projected to win 10.5 games more than last year, while the NL is projected to win 7.0 games fewer.  That doesn’t add up to .500, but it doesn’t have to.   It probably just reflects that bettors’ biases on behalf of their home teams drive the total betting lines a touch over .500.   And more inter league play = more wins for the AL teams, based on past history.  

• Upvote 1

Wasn't there a story floating around after his season's World Series that somebody had placed a bet on the Astros over the Phillies in like April, when Philly was struggling, and it paid of like 1000:1.

Found an article behind a paywall.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-24/world-series-betting-50-wager-on-astros-win-over-phillies-could-make-125-000?leadSource=uverify wall

It paid off 125 K on a 50$ bet.

2 hours ago, now said:

I dreamed last night the Orioles won the World Series. Adley laid out to catch a popup for the final out. Disclaimer for you bettors: I can't say for sure what year this scenario unfolded! 

Was it a Geena Davis style lay out?  If not, he just isn’t doing it right.

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Wasn't there a story floating around after his season's World Series that somebody had placed a bet on the Astros over the Phillies in like April, when Philly was struggling, and it paid of like 1000:1.

Found an article behind a paywall.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-24/world-series-betting-50-wager-on-astros-win-over-phillies-could-make-125-000?leadSource=uverify wall

It paid off 125 K on a 50$ bet.

Love hearing stories Iike that.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

That would be a cool way to win a World Series.

I wonder what was the best defensive play ever to end a World Series?

Pete Rose catching the ball that bounced off Bob Boone's glove was in the 9th, but I don't think it was out #3, right?

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Pete Rose catching the ball that bounced off Bob Boone's glove was in the 9th, but I don't think it was out #3, right?

I have to tell you, my memory of World Series games is poor.   Plus, I don’t watch all the time when the O’s aren’t in it, especially in the last 20 years or so.