John Angelos chews out Dan Connolly

interloper

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

MLB is likely to approve a franchise relocation for a team if it's stuck with a subpar stadium and has been unable to come up with a plan for a new one (including, of course, getting  state and local government to bear a large part of the cost). That's what's happening in Tampa and Oakland, and if either or both decide to relocate they'll get the owners' approval. (Well, maybe not for a goofy plan to play half your home games over a thousand miles away in another country.)

The MLB owners are very unlikely to approve relocation of a team that has financial problems despite playing in an appealing ballpark. If a team is not making a go of it n that situation, that's looked at as the team's fault, not a problem with MLB or its financial structure. Add to that the fact that there's no highly populated region of the country that's unserved by MLB and ought to be a relocation target, as there was when MLB expanded or teams moved to California, Texas, the Pacific Northwest, Colorado, Arizona and Florida. 

How long have Tampa and Oakland been trying to move?

They voted (28-2) to contract the Twins and Expos before allowing the Expos to move.

Angelos definitely had his planned response but looked petty and bullying.  Since it was MLK day, Connolly may have asked about percentage of black Americans in leadership jobs with Orioles.  

But I have zero problem with Dan asking the question-if Angelos family didn’t always stonewall and manage their own press, it wouldn’t perhaps be necessary. 

Connolly was representing us, the customers who pay his organization and the taxoayers who do as well.  

And as others pointed out, he had no problem going on about the credit he should get for the turnaround …on MLK day.

And the only reason the mayor and press were there is because of his ownership of the Os.  Otherwise he is just another rich lawyer donating to help a cause. 

• Upvote 2

IMO the adversarial way John reacted was more inappropriate than the question itself. It would have been easy to give a brief and cliche response to the baseball question and then bring it back to the community message. Turning what should have been an anticipated question into a 5 minute rant was more distracting and self-centering than the question itself was. Plenty of the points he made were valid but he's using their validity as a high & mighty shield from other criticism/questioning. Which is something you see a lot from corporations and their leaders.

• Upvote 1

Just now, tntoriole said:

Angelos definitely had his planned response but looked petty and bullying.  Since it was MLK day, Connolly may have asked about percentage of black Americans in leadership jobs with Orioles.  

But I have zero problem with Dan asking the question-if Angelos family didn’t always stonewall and manage their own press, it wouldn’t perhaps be necessary. 

Connolly was representing us, the customers who pay his organization and the taxoayers who do as well.  

And as others pointed out, he had no problem going on about the credit he should get for the turnaround …on MLK day.

And the only reason the mayor and press were there is because of his ownership of the Os.  Otherwise he is just another rich lawyer donating to help a cause. 

The Mayor was there because of the money.

You drop that kind of money on a project and I bet you can get most mayors to show up for a photo op.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Mayor was there because of the money.

You drop that kind of money on a project and I bet you can get most mayors to show up for a photo op.

Probably.  To be clear, it’s the Orioles making the donation, not John Angelos, who by the way isn’t a lawyer (though he did graduate law school).   

For those who didn’t bother to watch the press conference, the Mayor himself benefitted from the College Bound program when he was a student, and he’s on the board of the organization.   So it’s not some random program from his standpoint.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Probably.  To be clear, it’s the Orioles making the donation, not John Angelos, who by the way isn’t a lawyer (though he did graduate law school).   

For those who didn’t bother to watch the press conference, the Mayor himself benefitted from the College Bound program when he was a student, and he’s on the board of the organization.   So it’s not some random program from his standpoint.  

Oh, I’m sure the mayor is benefiting from this donation. 

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Can't wait for how Angelos avoids questions next week. I'm predicting a vague presentation with fewto no questions answered.  How long until the O's get a real owner.

I assume he’ll allow Roch, and Roch only, to “view the financials.” Roch will say they’re spending everything they can on the baseball operations. Roch gets an extra chicken finger in his lunch. 

Edited by waroriole

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Can't wait for how Angelos avoids questions next week. I'm predicting a vague presentation with fewto no questions answered.  How long until the O's get a real owner.

You don’t actually think he’s going to do this do you? And if he does, they likely won’t be the right books or won’t include MASN or whatever.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Roch’s account of the presser here:  https://www.masnsports.com/blog/o-s-make-5-million-donation-to-collegebound-foundation-angelos-repeats-team-isn-t-moving

He refers to a question from “a reporter from The Athletic” without mentioning Connolly by name.  

It’s a nice cause to donate to. It reminds me of The Office episode with Scott’s Tots, except he’s actually funding it. But, that article by Roch is sad and pathetic. 

13 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'd say his office will just ignore any attempts to contact him.

No one is going to hound him in the streets of Nashville.

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So the only reason there was anything being announced at all was because of the Orioles donating fan generated revenue so Angelos acting like he was being accosted at mass was just his play at PR management .. which he failed.