Maybe Frazier can play

wildcard

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm approaching Frobby level status of being annoyed by the talk about Frazier.  Everything that has been said has been said.  

But I'm also still annoyed by his presence on the roster.  What a conundrum.

At this point I just hope we get a decent version of Frazier, not the 2022 version.  But I can’t wait for the first time he makes an error or strikes out with a runner on 3B and less than two out.  That’ll be a fun discussion.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

I wonder if Frazier realizes just how famous he is? What pressure. OH POSTER BOY FOR 2023!

Actually, I wonder if ever in the annals of Oriole history has so much negative been projected on a new player making 8 mil. The good thing is if he bombs, there will be a lot of "I told you so's." If he's average, he'll still be the hated "blocker." If he is good, he still won't garner much respect because he just isn't any good and 2023 is a small sample size. 

If I were Frazier, I'd figure some way to take 2023 off and still collect my 8 mil. The Orioles may win, but he can't! Someone give him Chris Davis's number!!! 😄

1 minute ago, Too Tall said:

I wonder if Frazier realizes just how famous he is? What pressure. OH POSTER BOY FOR 2023!

Actually, I wonder if ever in the annals of Oriole history has so much negative been projected on a new player making 8 mil. The good thing is if he bombs, there will be a lot of "I told you so's." If he's average, he'll still be the hated "blocker." If he is good, he still won't garner much respect because he just isn't any good and 2023 is a small sample size. 

If I were Frazier, I'd figure some way to take 2023 off and still collect my 8 mil. The Orioles may win, but he can't! Someone give him Chris Davis's number!!! 😄

I can't remember the board being this negative about a new player.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Odor last year.

I disagree.  The Odor hatred really didn't get into full bloom until he started showing just how bad he was with the bat and in the field, but yet we continued to march him out there every game.  Sure, some never liked the signing, but in the offseason he wasn't treated nearly as poorly as Frasier has been.  The Odor stink has made it harder for many of us to accept Frasier and the fact that he's blocking some kids that had really good years last year and is making 8M makes this signing much more questionable than the flier we took on Odor.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Odor wasn’t as bad simply because none of us would have been able to fathom them playing him as much as they did no matter how bad he was.

Makes the Frazier signing worse now.

And the other factor is that we were, at best, hoping we might glimpse a sliver of contention last year.   And most people didn't even have that sliver.

This year the majority of us fully expect to be contenders, so when one of our biggest financial expenditures of the offseason is on a player that most of us don't think help us get better... we aren't going to be happy.

I do feel bad for Frazier, I liked him as a player when he was with Pittsburgh.   And if he doesn't read message boards, he probably has no idea that on OH there are a lot of people who really dislike the signing.   Of course we are a small subsection of the fans that doesn't accurately represent the majority of the folks who go to the games.   Those folks haven't paid enough attention this offseason to know who Frazier is yet, and they'll judge him by how he does when they see him on the field.   And they are still trying to get over the fact that we traded Trey Mancini.

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Nah, no one reacted this way to the news about picking up Odor.  

Lots of people disliked that move.  However, we were paying him the minimum and I think most people felt we might cut him in ST or any other time if he wasn’t performing.   Also, we didn’t have a bunch of MI prospects on the cusp of the majors and Urias and Mateo weren’t established as contributors.  

I’d venture to say that if we’d traded for Frazier a year ago, a lot of posters would  have been happy about it.

For anyone who wants to re-live the reaction to the Odor signing:

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Lots of people disliked that move.  However, we were paying him the minimum and I think most people felt we might cut him in ST or any other time if he wasn’t performing.   Also, we didn’t have a bunch of MI prospects on the cusp of the majors and Urias and Mateo weren’t established as contributors.  

I’d venture to say that if we’d traded for Frazier a year ago, a lot of posters would  have been happy about it.

For anyone who wants to re-live the reaction to the Odor signing:

Loolllllzzzz @Pickles thought he had upside 

I think judging by the initial reactions, a lot of people didn't like it....but to the point above, I don't think anyone felt that he was going to get the playing time he did.  

20 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And the other factor is that we were, at best, hoping we might glimpse a sliver of contention last year.   And most people didn't even have that sliver.

This year the majority of us fully expect to be contenders, so when one of our biggest financial expenditures of the offseason is on a player that most of us don't think help us get better... we aren't going to be happy.

I do feel bad for Frazier, I liked him as a player when he was with Pittsburgh.   And if he doesn't read message boards, he probably has no idea that on OH there are a lot of people who really dislike the signing.   Of course we are a small subsection of the fans that doesn't accurately represent the majority of the folks who go to the games.   Those folks haven't paid enough attention this offseason to know who Frazier is yet, and they'll judge him by how he does when they see him on the field.   And they are still trying to get over the fact that we traded Trey Mancini.

There are a few of us on the OH who liked the move then and still like it now.  Not going to rehash why, because the only way to settle anything now is on the field. 
But if he makes a major contribution to Os winning this year, then this thread will be revisited. 

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think judging by the initial reactions, a lot of people didn't like it....but to the point above, I don't think anyone felt that he was going to get the playing time he did.  

If you had told me he was going to get 472 PA I would have expected him to have hit better.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He had upside relative to the other options available for the league minimum.

I think the differing angst is based solely on expectations of the team, and I think that is perfectly normal.