Orioles Acquire LHP Cole Irvin from the A's for Darrel Hernaiz

LTO's

26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I do think the best thing, if you hope he'll be a starter, is to keep him on a regular turn and not ask him to do too much.   So, going every 5 days and being counted on for 3 innings would be the base.   If he starts to really roll with that role, then maybe increase the innings a bit after awhile.    Probably the easiest way to do that is to pair him with another starter, whether Hall is the opener or the reliever I don't think makes that much difference but probably less pressure as the reliever.

Other than he's proved hes ready, I'd keep him down as a SP rather than a long man/piggy back.

12 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Other than he's proved hes ready, I'd keep him down as a SP rather than a long man/piggy back.

Man, I'd love it if he earned a role in the rotation, but I definitely don't think he's proven he's ready. Until the command gets better he's still not ready for the rotation IMO.

Question is, is it better to put him in the AAA rotation, Baltimore relief pitcher, or a piggy back role. I personally prefer the piggyback role with GRod for the innings management and ability to work with Holt and Adley.

3 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Man, I'd love it if he earned a role in the rotation, but I definitely don't think he's proven he's ready. Until the command gets better he's still not ready for the rotation IMO.

Question is, is it better to put him in the AAA rotation, Baltimore relief pitcher, or a piggy back role. I personally prefer the piggyback role with GRod for the innings management and ability to work with Holt and Adley.

He has proven he's got good stuff and can get big league hitters out.  But only in a RP role.  He does need to manage his walks and pitch count to prove he can make it 5+ innings consistently.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Explosivo said:

This dude is sad about the trade. Interesting to see a different perspective. He sounds like a really cool dude. I am becoming a bigger fan of this trade the more I dig.

Thanks for posting this. Two things I learned… He’s a quick worker, and that the A’s got him in a trade in 2021 for cash considerations. 

Any advantage of Irvin pitching in front of Grayson and messing up the hitters timing?  Some of the nuances of slotting guys in an actual rotation, rather than just the rotation surviving each game. 

Home run park factors wise, it'll be interesting to compare Irvin and Bassitt entering the AL East (plus Bassitt having to cope with TOR new fences).      NYM was also a HR dampening environment.

To make years and dollars apples to apples, some of the judgment of Elias on Gibson v. Bassitt (or Gibson v. Eflin at a lower level) is across 2023-2025, can Elias add anything to his side of the scoreboard with the 2/53 or 2/30 (or a little more) he didn't deploy to bid high enough to win one of those 3-year guys.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Home run park factors wise, it'll be interesting to compare Irvin and Bassitt entering the AL East (plus Bassitt having to cope with TOR new fences).      NYM was also a HR dampening environment.

To make years and dollars apples to apples, some of the judgment of Elias on Gibson v. Bassitt (or Gibson v. Eflin at a lower level) is across 2023-2025, can Elias add anything to his side of the scoreboard with the 2/53 or 2/30 (or a little more) he didn't deploy to bid high enough to win one of those 3-year guys.

I think all of us would feel better about the lack of spending this off-season if it results in extensions for Adley/Gunnar or a big deal for an even better option next off-season. Not counting on it though 😃

19 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Honestly, I think Irvin is the best player Elias acquired this offseason.

I tend to agree, though he's close to Gibson.

I do think many here are under-rating Hernaiz, who's an ascending prospect IMO. His age/level is impressive. Maybe he'll get more reps and grow into a better fielder. If so, I think the A's think they got a guy who will play in the dirt for them in 2024.

7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I do think many here are under-rating Hernaiz, who's an ascending prospect IMO. His age/level is impressive. Maybe he'll get more reps and grow into a better fielder. If so, I think the A's think they got a guy who will play in the dirt for them in 2024.

I agree Hernaiz is a legit prospect with upside.   We are fortunate to have a surplus of good MI prospects so this is a move we could make without much hesitation.  A few years ago we would nave been much more reluctant to move a guy like that.   Good luck to him in Oakland.  It’s probably a good thing for his career that he was traded.  

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Perhaps, but if he is playing on the dirt it will be at 2B and it won't be plus defense. As for the bat, if the power develops then perhaps it will be major league average, but I just didn't see a ton in there that makes me believe he'll be a major league average infielder.

Could be a solid utility type.

• Upvote 2