Orioles Acquire LHP Cole Irvin from the A's for Darrel Hernaiz

LTO's

35 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Can you please compare Adley's OPS vs LHP to Irvin's ERA+ away from Oakland?

If we’re talking about park effects, then we should talk about the “Adley effect” on the pitching staff.  How much does he make pitchers better with his catching overall game?  Irvin and Gibson didn’t have that last year.

Playing with Adley might help us land a big FA SP in the upcoming offseasons. 

• Upvote 1

Guys in MLB tonight like the trade for the Os.  They said he has a 4-seamer week below league average,  spin rate week below average,  but he gets his out.  He had a batting average against of .222.

They said he is not a TOR starter, but he will eat innings and gets his guys out.  One guy thought he would be our opening day starter.   They think his skill set will play well at Camden Yards.

The Orioles certainly haven't made any splash moves and signed or traded for any top tier players which would clearly have moved the needle for the talent level for the Orioles.  I don't think that was unexpected.  Many people feel the only reason is because they won't or don't want to spend the money necessary to do so.  Maybe that is the sole reason or not.  However have all the collective moves made this team better?  I think so.  Lets look at the rotation.  Is Kyle Gibson going to be equal or better to Lyles?  I think there is a good chance he could be better but lets say it is a wash.  Is this year's Kremer going to be as good as last years?  I think he could be but maybe not.  Is 2023 Bradish better than 2022?  I going with the 2023 version being better.  Is Irvin, Grayson Rodriquez, Tyler Wells, John Means, and maybe this year's version of Voth going to give us a combination of starts better than Bruce Zimmerman,  Spencer Watkins, and all the others who made starts in 2022?  I think this year's is better and a potential to be much better.  On the offensive side I believe full years of Gunnar Henderson and Adley Rutschman will be much better.  Do we get more or the same from Austin Hayes and Ryan Mountcastle?  I am not as confident this year's versions will be better but I don't think they will be worse.  I think Mateo and Santander will be offensively the same or better.  All of this I think at least gives the Orioles at least 5 plus or more victories which puts us in or on the verge of the playoffs.  If another prospect or two like Cowser and Westburg bust out for the big club we could do much better than that.  

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

If we can't have faith that Adley will improve vs lefties and hit them like he did in AAA in 2021 then he is not the superstar many think he is.

The guy was worth 5.2 rWAR in 3/4 of a season.  I believe he’ll have better luck against LHP this season, but even if not, he’s a superstar.  

7 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Guys in MLB tonight like the trade for the Os.  They said he has a 4-seamer week below league average,  spin rate week below average,  but he gets his out.  He had a batting average against of .222.

They said he is not a TOR starter, but he will eat innings and gets his guys out.  One guy thought he would be our opening day starter.   They think his skill set will play well at Camden Yards.

All I am saying is that Irvin appears to be the 7th best starter the O's have.  For me he is behind Wells and Voth in effectiveness.    What Elias/Hyde/Holt decide to do is a different matter.

Holt makes pitchers better.  I look for him to make all the pitchers better including Irvin.  But he should make Wells and Voth better at the same time.

30 minutes ago, wildcard said:

All I am saying is that Irvin appears to be the 7th best starter the O's have.  For me he is behind Wells and Voth in effectiveness.    What Elias/Hyde/Holt decide to do is a different matter.

Holt makes pitchers better.  I look for him to make all the pitchers better including Irvin.  But he should make Wells and Voth better at the same time.

So Holt will be able to continually improve all the pitchers' performances?  Is there some upper limit to his abilities in this regard? 

13 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

You can't possibly think this is true, can you? The Orioles did not trade away Hernaiz for a guy who will battle for the last spot in the bullpen. He's in the rotation to start the year barring an injury. Barring Injury, the rotation will include Gibson, Irvin, Kremer, Bradish and Grayson Rodriguez. Wells and Voth will go to the pen.

I have to agree ….BTW, I heard that his era was mid 3 before he ran out of gas in September. Perhaps we will have a plan to prevent the late season drop off.

Im guessing you are slotting them in that order? I think Kremer should start 1 or 2. I’m still not happy about Gibson as I would’ve just preferred to hang onto Lyles.

Edited by Roll Tide

While we're all arguing over who is and who isn't in the rotation, I'll throw my Elias thinking on the table:

Keep GRod down to play service time, and go with Gibson, Irvin, Bradish, Kremer, Voth (with Wells piggy back) to start the season assuming no injury

When we can bring GRod up, we do and go to a 6 man, continuing the Wells piggy back for Voth/GRod to manage his innings and give us a better shot in September.

All injury dependent, and leaves DL at AAA with a SP job, and could drop to 5 man, or call up DL as next man up.

Narrative change…

Irvin had a 3.35 ERA through August. Let that sink in. September on, he had a 6.75 ERA. Why the 6.75 ERA?  Well he got lit up in two HOME starts vs the Mets and Braves. 9.1 IP 16 ER

Browse through the game logs,

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=irvinco01&t=p&year=2022

I think the game logs show that the better teams put up more runs on him. He just happened to mostly face those teams on the road.  Until September…

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

While we're all arguing over who is and who isn't in the rotation, I'll throw my Elias thinking on the table:

Keep GRod down to play service time, and go with Gibson, Irvin, Bradish, Kremer, Voth (with Wells piggy back) to start the season assuming no injury

When we can bring GRod up, we do and go to a 6 man, continuing the Wells piggy back for Voth/GRod to manage his innings and give us a better shot in September.

All injury dependent, and leaves DL at AAA with a SP job, and could drop to 5 man, or call up DL as next man up.

At this point in the rebuild it'd be a pretty aggressive slap in the face to the player and the fans to continue playing service time games. If they think they can contend for a playoff spot this year there's no excuse not to put their most talented starting pitcher in the rotation for as many games as possible. Not saying they won't do it, I just believe it's unlikely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1