Orioles Acquire LHP Cole Irvin from the A's for Darrel Hernaiz

LTO's

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Perhaps, but if he is playing on the dirt it will be at 2B and it won't be plus defense. As for the bat, if the power develops then perhaps it will be major league average, but I just didn't see a ton in there that makes me believe he'll be a major league average infielder.

Could be a solid utility type.

Agreed. I hope Hernaiz has a monster year at SS in a hitter friendly league for Oakland’s AA team. For us, it was selling high. Ortiz is at AAA. Holiday would be breathing down Hernaiz’s neck for SS PT. Plus the 40 man issue. 

Good trade for the Orioles FO. They turned a 5th rd pick, from their first draft, into 4 years of a league average SP. That’s a win. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like it. Iron sharpens Iron. Nobody is handed anything. We can handicap that it will be Irvin, Gibson, Kremer, Bradish, and GR, but you still want guys like Voth, Wells, Watson, and Hall, going through ST thinking and preparing for the MLB rotation. 

Yep. Anything can and will happen in ST. Maybe Kremer pops another oblique. Maybe Bradish suddenly has no command. Hall could absolutely find his way into the rotation if a couple things go his way. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yep. Anything can and will happen in ST. Maybe Kremer pops another oblique. Maybe Bradish suddenly has no command. Hall could absolutely find his way into the rotation if a couple things go his way. 

I was more thinking of positive things haha. Like Hall had a hell of an offseason and put it all together. Or that Voth pitches like the guy from the 2nd half. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

In theory I don't doubt that, but Kremer, Bradish and Grayson Rodriguez are going to have to pitch their way out of spots. How they manage Rodriguez's innings is the only issue with him potentially not making the rotation. In theory they could option Rodriguez and bring him back for the April 5th start and go with an extra reliever for the first five games at least I think they can do that. Not sure about the rules for how long a player needs to be down after being optioned count at the beginning of the season. Like could they option him on March 24th and get their ten days? The AAA season starts March 31st so not sure if that plays into it.

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

In theory I don't doubt that, but Kremer, Bradish and Grayson Rodriguez are going to have to pitch their way out of spots. How they manage Rodriguez's innings is the only issue with him potentially not making the rotation. In theory they could option Rodriguez and bring him back for the April 5th start and go with an extra reliever for the first five games at least I think they can do that. Not sure about the rules for how long a player needs to be down after being optioned count at the beginning of the season. Like could they option him on March 24th and get their ten days? The AAA season starts March 31st so not sure if that plays into it.

I'm not sure if they would be willing to do that and lose the chance at the extra draft pick if he finished top-2 in ROY, at least if I'm understanding how that works correctly. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

15 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

I'm not sure if they would be willing to do that and lose the chance at the extra draft pick if he finished top-2 in ROY, at least if I'm understanding how that works correctly. 

Yeah, I think Bradish or Kremer would be the one optioned if they wanted to play that game.

Since they will need the 5th starter in the 6th game of the season and relievers should be fresh given that it is the beginning of the season, I doubt that they will bother.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

A player that stays in the minors for 20 days uses his option for that year.

23 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hernaiz has some “helium” it appears. Don’t be shocked if the makes the A’s top 10 when their org lists come out. 

Wouldn’t surprise me at all.   The O’s are a top-ranked system, whereas Oakland’s system is bottom half (ranked 19th by McDaniel, 27th by Law).   I doubt Oakland would have traded for Hernaiz if they didn’t think he was a top 10 prospect in their system.  

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I really hope they give all those guys (who are now close friends) the opportunity to run down the orange carpet on opening day.  It's an incredibly special moment.  I will be disappointed if Hall, GRod, & Westburg are no in attendance.  I have to think the Pros of experiencing that moement will outway the Cons of keeping them down.  But then again, I'm an eternal optimist.  

Sometimes I forget how young these guys are.  Stowers is only 25, two years younger than my youngest kid, and boy does he look it!   I can easily imagine him being at my dinner table and calling me “Mr. Frobby.”   Great story about him watching the video of his homer over and over.  I sure would, if it were me!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Sometimes I forget how young these guys are.  Stowers is only 25, two years younger than my youngest kid, and boy does he look it!   I can easily imagine him being at my dinner table and calling me “Mr. Frobby.”   Great story about him watching the video of his homer over and over.  I sure would, if it were me!

I bet he pays for his own streaming services!

• Haha 1