Orioles Acquire LHP Cole Irvin from the A's for Darrel Hernaiz

LTO's

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Look at the parks they played in.   After Bradish 2nd half he is not in danger of being a reliever any time soon.   Kremer had a 3.23 ERA.

In one breath you said Bradish is in danger of being a reliever and in the next you say he is one of the two best pitchers in the the rotation.  Talk about Horrendous Arguments.

Lol.  I said MAYBE Bradish is special. I didn’t say he was one of the 2 best starters although he could be. But that is reflection of the rotation more than him.

Oaklands park factor was 96 last year. OPACY was 97. They were both favorable pitchers parks. 

Your arguments continue to be terrible.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What the F are you even talking about?  No matter who the O’s put in the rotation, the odds are that at least one of the pitchers will have issues and be replaced  by May 31.   Who will it be?  Couldn’t tell you.  

You didn’t answer my question about Holt.

Holt will probably help Irwin.   But he has less to work with than the 6 starters in front of him competing for the rotation.  

I have no problem with Elias acquiring Irvin as pitching depth.  He good to have in the organization in case of  injury or non performance.  But he is down the list in terms of effectiveness.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Oakland is a notorious pitchers park.   Philly plays in a notorious hitters park.   Play with the metrics all you want it does not change that.

You're mistaking my arguments as being tied to Gibson's performance. I'm actually cautiously optimistic we get a solid version of Gibson in 2023.

All I'm arguing is that Irvin had a stretch where his ERA was comparable to Gibson's stretch with Texas, and that adjusting for ballpark shouldn't matter between Oakland and Baltimore as he may benefit more from Camden Yards. Not really sure what's debatable here.

1 minute ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

You're mistaking my arguments as being tied to Gibson's performance. I'm actually cautiously optimistic we get a solid version of Gibson in 2023.

All I'm arguing is that Irvin had a stretch where his ERA was comparable to Gibson's stretch with Texas, and that adjusting for ballpark shouldn't matter between Oakland and Baltimore as he may benefit more from Camden Yards. Not really sure what's debatable here.

Oakland park is deep everywhere.   The flag court, the right field bleachers and the bullpen are homer friendly in Camden.

3 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Irvin has a career ERA+ of 91. Gibson is at 94.

Irvin the last 2 years: 97 and 94. Gibson:  117(82 in Philly) and 81. Gibson has had an ERA+ of 94 or less in 5 of the last 7 seasons and 4 of those seasons it was in the 80s.

Acting like he is some sure fire bet to be better than Irvin is flat out dumb.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Irvin has a career ERA+ of 91. Gibson is at 94.

Irvin the last 2 years: 97 and 94. Gibson:  117(82 in Philly) and 81. Gibson has had an ERA+ of 94 or less in 5 of the last 7 seasons and 4 of those seasons it was in the 80s.

Acting like he is some sure fire bet to be better than Irvin is flat out dumb.

Yeah I don't think he will be better. I was responding to the ERA comment regarding Gibson's 2021 Texas season.

FWIW, Baseball Savant had Gibson, Irvin, Kremer and Bradish all with roughly .325 xwOBA and 4.45 xERA last year. We're probably all just arguing over who's the best amongst four #4 rotation candidates here 😆

2 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Yeah I don't think he will be better. I was responding to the ERA comment regarding Gibson's 2021 Texas season.

FWIW, Baseball Savant had Gibson, Irvin, Kremer and Bradish all with roughly .325 xwOBA and 4.45 xERA last year. We're probably all just arguing over who's the best amongst four #4 rotation candidates here 😆

Which is why it’s absurd to act like Irvin is some far inferior guy.

• Upvote 1