Mets, Rays Extend Players

Can_of_corn

Maybe it's just me but it feels like Jeff McNeil has been around long enough that he should have been done with arbitration. Also, signing over 30s second basemen with a history of injury issues is rarely wise, but when you're Steven Cohen I guess cost is no object. 

The Rays sudden rash of extensions for multiple older relievers and Yandy Diaz is also a bit bizarre, but they are always doing unconventional baseball things I guess. We'll see how it turns out and who they flip those contracts to in a season or so. 

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Another long term deal for the Rays.

It seems a lot of teams that do well are locking up young talent.

I wouldn’t call Diaz young.  He’ll be 31 this year and had two years of service time remaining.   Springs will be 30 this year and had 2 years of service time remaining.   Fairbanks will be 29 this year and had 3 years of service remaining.  

Looks like Tampa currently has 8 players on multi-year deals: Franco (10 years remaining, plus option), Springs (4+1), Fairbanks (3+1), Diaz (3+1), Lowe (2+2), Elfin (3), Margot (2+1), and Glasnow (2).   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Blue Jays lock up Bichette for his three arbitration years.

I’ll be interested to see the terms.  Personally I’m not really a fan of deals that don’t give the team anything beyond the Arb years.  But it could be okay if there’s a reasonable discount.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ll be interested to see the terms.  Personally I’m not really a fan of deals that don’t give the team anything beyond the Arb years.  But it could be okay if there’s a reasonable discount.   

Right..unless you are getting a true discount by doing this, this is really a dumb move.

On 2/8/2023 at 10:41 AM, Sports Guy said:

Right..unless you are getting a true discount by doing this, this is really a dumb move.

While there is some value in price certainty I agree that it only makes sense for the team if the amount is lower than their projections on what he would make in arbitration.

It ended up being more than I would have paid, but I'm not that high on the player.

Edited by Can_of_corn